ALO The Continental
Oct 11, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #271 of 456

Quote:
ALO is the least 'stand up' business I've ever dealt with. I asked them to fix one of their cables, which cost me $500...  they told me it was my fault and that I was out of luck. They claimed (lied) that it would cost them over the price of the cable to fix it. Drew did it for $40.

The moral of this story would seem to be that you should have asked Drew to build said cable in the first place. $500 for a cable ? Sheeei...sh !
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #272 of 456
Just got a Continental-very impressed with build quality and looks. I've only listened with se 535's which wasn't what I bought it for but I'm still waiting for LCD-2's. I wasn't impressed by sq at first but after a couple of hours I just love it. I'll be getting an RS71B next week and am very interested to see how they compare.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #273 of 456

Quote:
Just got a Continental-very impressed with build quality and looks. I've only listened with se 535's which wasn't what I bought it for but I'm still waiting for LCD-2's. I wasn't impressed by sq at first but after a couple of hours I just love it. I'll be getting an RS71B next week and am very interested to see how they compare.

Heh if I were to get a new amp it would be the continental or the 71B. I just sent Ray an email asking for payment details though :p

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #274 of 456

Quote:

Any news? x)

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #275 of 456
Something tells me the Continental would work very well with Grado phones. Anyone tried it with RS2i or RS1i?

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #277 of 456
I came here to find how this amp sounds, to other Hi-fi enthusiasts, and couldn't believe how many pages of pissing match I had to wade through in order to find a few snippets of how the damned thing sounds. For the numbers junkies, I think you can only tell so much from specs. How the sound actually manifests itself in use is what counts, not whether or not the specs are as good as should be. I remember finding a Stereo Review review of my Philips 212 turntable that I bought in 1977, in which the turntable was measured to verify the mfg. specs, but not one record was played to evaluate it's performance. I actually bought it after hearing my friends Philips for a couple of years prior, so the article mentioned didn't have an effect on my purchase. The point being, is that no matter what they give for specs, a listen is the only test that counts. Even $50,000 loudspeakers have shortcomings, and at that price they ought to sound perfect, IMHO. Many things contribute to the magic found in any good amp, such as synergy between components that are used to build the amp. How does it sound, and does it give an honest rendering of the recording, that's what I want to know. From the few opinions I've seen here, the Continental sounds like it does the job and competes with other portable amps of good reputation. As far as sub-40Hz tones go, not much is recorded down that deep, so it'll never be a deal breaker for me. It's more important to me that an acoustic bass sounds like one, and can be distinguished from an electric bass or keyboard. No matter the specs, it has to sound good, has to sound right, and if it does, I'm in. Try to figure it out, guys, because most of this thread is worthless rant that serves nobody. Thanks. Steve.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #279 of 456

Quote:
I came here to find how this amp sounds, to other Hi-fi enthusiasts, and couldn't believe how many pages of pissing match I had to wade through in order to find a few snippets of how the damned thing sounds. For the numbers junkies, I think you can only tell so much from specs. How the sound actually manifests itself in use is what counts, not whether or not the specs are as good as should be. I remember finding a Stereo Review review of my Philips 212 turntable that I bought in 1977, in which the turntable was measured to verify the mfg. specs, but not one record was played to evaluate it's performance. I actually bought it after hearing my friends Philips for a couple of years prior, so the article mentioned didn't have an effect on my purchase. The point being, is that no matter what they give for specs, a listen is the only test that counts. Even $50,000 loudspeakers have shortcomings, and at that price they ought to sound perfect, IMHO. Many things contribute to the magic found in any good amp, such as synergy between components that are used to build the amp. How does it sound, and does it give an honest rendering of the recording, that's what I want to know. From the few opinions I've seen here, the Continental sounds like it does the job and competes with other portable amps of good reputation. As far as sub-40Hz tones go, not much is recorded down that deep, so it'll never be a deal breaker for me. It's more important to me that an acoustic bass sounds like one, and can be distinguished from an electric bass or keyboard. No matter the specs, it has to sound good, has to sound right, and if it does, I'm in. Try to figure it out, guys, because most of this thread is worthless rant that serves nobody. Thanks. Steve.

Agree, and its a trend that extends well beyond this thread. We've become very good at dissecting kit based purely on a few photos - who cares what the thing sounds like - but there was another element to this thread that I hadn't seen in a while. Not sure exactly what Ken/ALO have done to deserve some of the vitriol, but that also extends well beyond this thread.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #282 of 456

Quote:
Dear Forum!

What do you think will the Continental "fits" to a K 701?
Has anyone have this setup?

I am usually listens to classical and choral music.

Thanks

I found some time to listen to the K702 from the Continental this week.  My setup was: iPod Classic and iPad 1 --> Alogorythm Solo --> Continental --> K702.  I probably got about 3 hours of listening in over the past two days.  Darned meetings are always getting in the way of my listening!  

Please note, the K702 is not what I'd call a primary headphone for me, so I can't say that I am completely familiar with it.  I am a casual and infrequent classical listener, so classical tracks are not what I typically use to evaluate any gear.

All of that said, I was really very impressed with the Continental K702 combination.  Vocals were a treat and the classical tracks I listened to were open, airy, and detailed... just what you expect and want from the K702.  I threw in a few familiar blues and rock tracks and I would say that the K701/2 is very good fit with the Continental.  

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #284 of 456
Hello guys

Same questions that I have... have not seem any response to that.
How does continental v2 sound with grado rs1i, ps500 and ultrasone edition 8?

I am planning to pair it with fostex HP P1 as dac output and uses Contiental as amp function.
It is better or it is recommended to use fostex alone?

Appreciate your comments

thanks
Ray

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #285 of 456
I can't answer your exact question, but I spent most of the week with the V1 and my Grado HF2's.  It's another combination I really enjoyed.  I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise as Grados seem to pair well with several hybrids.  It's a smooth combination, but with no lack of detail or control.  The reason I kept the set up going all week, because it was very enjoyable.

Sorry, no experience with the Fostex, I was using the Solo.

Cheers!

Quote:
Hello guys

Same questions that I have... have not seem any response to that.
How does continental v2 sound with grado rs1i, ps500 and ultrasone edition 8?

I am planning to pair it with fostex HP P1 as dac output and uses Contiental as amp function.
It is better or it is recommended to use fostex alone?

Appreciate your comments

thanks
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back