ALO The Continental
Aug 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #226 of 456
PB2 is a beast.  Sadly I decided against most iBasso products due to the 10ohm output z.  Too many IEMs in my arsenal.  Which reminds me.  Did we ever get a figure on the output impedance?  Should be up on the website eventually.

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #227 of 456

Quote:
I went to the iBasso site and found ...

- 32V voltage swing, the highest voltage swing among portable Amplifiers
- Up to 2500mW output power

No I saw that, hence the general power output specs. I was referring to specifics, such as the ratings at 30, 50, 300 and 600 ohms. So I could directly compare to the Continental. Namely the SR-71A/B and cMoy. Through listening, the Continental is definitely louder than the SR-71A driving the T1's, which in turn is louder than the cMoy. Just wanted to know what the volume difference converted to in terms of power difference.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #228 of 456
I would be really careful replacing the battery, lipoly are not known for their stability (they are much less stable than lifepo4 and this chemistry is the reason we now have all these shipping restrictions and issues with flying wit laptops etc) and the charge circuit will be tuned for this particular battery. provided the charge circuit is internal and not in the wall wart, which you could change instead, changing to a larger capacity or different voltage could  make for an .....'interesting' listening experience 
basshead.gif
 same with the tube, bias will be set up for this tube in combination with this output stage and this supply voltage, its not like rolling opamps (which themselves imo should not be rolled blind)

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #229 of 456

Quote:
PB2 is a beast.  Sadly I decided against most iBasso products due to the 10ohm output z.  Too many IEMs in my arsenal.  Which reminds me.  Did we ever get a figure on the output impedance?  Should be up on the website eventually.

10ohm on everything? what amp in particular? seems strange considering the amount of customization that they could even give such a number. also with balanced amps, do remember that this will be seen across 2 outputs, so its probably the equivalent of 5r single ended, (which itself isnt too great)

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #230 of 456

Quote:
I would be really careful replacing the battery, lipoly are not known for their stability (they are much less stable than lifepo4 and this chemistry is the reason we now have all these shipping restrictions and issues with flying wit laptops etc) and the charge circuit will be tuned for this particular battery. provided the charge circuit is internal and not in the wall wart, which you could change instead, changing to a larger capacity or different voltage could  make for an .....'interesting' listening experience 
basshead.gif
 same with the tube, bias will be set up for this tube in combination with this output stage and this supply voltage, its not like rolling opamps (which themselves imo should not be rolled blind)

Once again, appreciate the detailed response! I think I'll wait for other modders and more tech savvy engineer types to tackle this before I go any where near it! My ears are already quite sensitive and I want to keep them that way lol.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #231 of 456
no problem, in general with lipoly and most lithium based batteries, you can increase the capacity only, the charge circuit is usually based on voltage thresholds to know what to do, ie. when to stop charging, it will just take longer to become full using the same circuit/charger. changing voltage however will screw everything up and in the case of the rather volatile lipoly chemistry this could lead to pretty serious ermm....'side-effects' hehe. and thats just charging, then you have all the other problems i mentioned.

you'll probably see ive posted this type of thing a number of times around the forum, but i think it really needs to be done, as lipoly really shouldnt be messed with, without knowing what you are doing. the continental already has some pretty serious energy density, so you would definitely notice if it went  OTT

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #232 of 456
各位好,
ALO Continental is a copy.
希望懂中文的朋友帮忙翻译一下。
ALO这台机子完全是翻版。这机子是我朋友设计的。
我朋友50多岁了。不懂电脑,平时也不上网之类。
得知自己的作品被抄袭后他非常生气。这机子他设计了2年,推出后没卖出几台,结果却便宜了别人。他希望我帮他来这里给他讨个公道,也请大家帮 他评个理。
各位请看下面这个链接:
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1079105&page=1&fpage=2
图片上涂了黑色胶水的那台是我朋友的手板机。跟ALO那台几乎是一样的。懂线路设计的朋友应该一看就知道2台机子是一样的东西。
这机子我们早就有杂志评测过了。足以证明我们早在ALO之前完成了这台机子。
ALO请你们出来给我们道歉。希望你们尊重别人的劳动成果,别给美国人丢脸。

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #233 of 456
FromCN, any chance that you could restrict the use of other character sets to things like your sig, please ? I have no doubt that there ARE people here who read Japanese (and Chinese/Thai/Sanskrit etc), but this is an English language board.

Thanks,

estreeter

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #234 of 456
Google translated...

Quote:
Hello,
ALO Continental is a copy.
Want to understand Chinese friend to help translate it.
ALO is a replica of this machine completely. This machine is my friend designed.
My friend more than 50 years old. Do not understand computers, the Internet usually do not like.
That your work has been copied after he was very angry. This machine he designed two years after the release did not sell a few units, the result is cheaper to others. He wanted me to help him come here to seek justice for him, also please comment a reason to help him.
You see the following link:
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1079105&page=1&fpage=2
Painted a black picture on the glue that sets the palm of my friends machine. With the ALO that Taiwan is almost the same. Friends should understand the circuit design to see that two of these machines is the same thing.
This machine we already have evaluation over the magazine. ALO proof before we finished early this machine.
ALO ask you to come out to apologize to us. I hope you respect other people's work, do not disgrace to the Americans.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #235 of 456
Sorry, but I see differences so I beg to differ.  To me copy means copy, not close or similar.  Does China value intellectual property now?  Sounds new.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #237 of 456
Sorry, but I see differences so I beg to differ.  To me copy means copy, not close or similar.  Does China value intellectual property now?  Sounds new.

That's disingenuous, while China doesn't have a sterling history when it comes to respecting patents, absolutely nothing can be extrapolated about this specific designer, China's history with patents is absolutely irrelevant here.

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #238 of 456
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but didn't ALO commission the amp from a Chinese amp maker?  I don't think ALO itself did the engineering work here.  So if anything, this would be a case of one Chinese designer "copying" another, although who knows if that is even the case.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #240 of 456

Quote:
That's disingenuous, while China doesn't have a sterling history when it comes to respecting patents, absolutely nothing can be extrapolated about this specific designer, China's history with patents is absolutely irrelevant here.

Not disingenious, surely cynical.  I'm less concerned about portable amps then the fact their Navy has the exact same AEGIS system we developed for our Cruisers but that's the tip of an iceberg over a whole other can of worms.  I really don't care that they have to shut down a new fake Apple store every week.  Just so you know I don't read Mandarin (there was no translation when I replied, it was all in Mandarin characters) so I wasn't addressing any specific designer.  I was, however, addressing the differences obvious to me from the pictures.  

Besides, it takes more than just to say it's the same circuit.  Post both schematics and some sort time stamp.  Then you have to define 'copy' and explain what your criteria is.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back