ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
May 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #136 of 1,084
Quote:

Hi DannyBai, I am sure you will enjoy this combo of HP-P1 + RX Mk3.      Driving my LCD2 very well.   But for sensitive iem, you need to listen at relatively loud level out of the Mk3.    Reminded me of the ALO Continental Version 1, which has the same issue.    Enjoy.

Looks like we pretty much have the same gear.  I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks for sharing your input.  

May 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #138 of 1,084
One more impression....loving my Westone 4r balanced out of the ALO Rx Mk3-b....I am using my DX100 as the source and this combo is dead quite. Tip:  use the base knob for the 4r, it seems to raise the lower fall off so that it is much more like its big brother in this area but still does not quite have the clarity of the ES5 but it is very good for anyone wanting to maximize the 4r.

Been listening to the ES5 singled ended for the last two days and just came back to the 4r.

May 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #139 of 1,084

gs1000.gif
gs1000.gif

May 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #140 of 1,084

Ok mcee.. You can't post that pic and not give your impressions. Would love to hear what you think of the HD700 with bass and the RX3.. Sweet looking setup BTW :)

May 30, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #141 of 1,084
Hi , I am just got my RX MK3, 
When i setup by iPod class > CLAS > MK 3 > SE 535 / Westone um3   , i find it has a quite large background noise. The noise level is not very problem, but can hear clear when no music. i just want to confirm is that correct? 

and also the bass knob will not change the bass much, i mean it change it, but a just little bit .  some one can explain this for me?

Sorry i just in here , not really understand this .

May 31, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #142 of 1,084
Quote:
Hi , I am just got my RX MK3, 
When i setup by iPod class > CLAS > MK 3 > SE 535 / Westone um3   , i find it has a quite large background noise. The noise level is not very problem, but can hear clear when no music. i just want to confirm is that correct? 

and also the bass knob will not change the bass much, i mean it change it, but a just little bit .  some one can explain this for me?

Have a search through the thread. I believe some people have mentioned the same thing and ALO/Ken Ball (KB) responded.

Same thing with the bass. There's been quite a few posts about it in this thread.

May 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #143 of 1,084
Quote:

Same thing for me.  I don't hear any real difference with the bass knob.    Kind of a let-down but the overall sound makes up for it i guess.

May 31, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #144 of 1,084
Well shoot, it's a bit disappointing to read these comments about the minimal gain w/bass. That's one of the biggest draws of the amp for me. I wonder if Ken can tweak the output of the control if an owner requests it. 

May 31, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #145 of 1,084
I wonder if it is mainly about what the headphone or IEM is. If you have an IEM thats BA based, I wouldn't expect that much of a change with the bass boost. It also may be because of multiple crossover points. The Bass boost knob may be tuned to cover bass up to a certain frequency but your IEM is tuned for a crossover point above or below that point causing some issues with how well the boost works. These are just guesses right now. I honestly love bass, but kinda wish the MK3 came in a version without the bass knob or at least shorter knobs. I would be more interested in purchasing it in that case. I really want things to be small if possible, and those knobs look really extended for no reason.
Quote:
Well shoot, it's a bit disappointing to read these comments about the minimal gain w/bass. That's one of the biggest draws of the amp for me. I wonder if Ken can tweak the output of the control if an owner requests it. 

May 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #146 of 1,084
Quote:

The bass knob feature can be a little deceiving at first. When we first received the prototype with the initial bass feature I also thought it was not doing enough. However after using the amp for a day or so a really interesting thing occurred. I found that the more I got use to the amp the more I was able to discern the effect of the bass adjust, also my ears really became aware more of these freq. Additionally we did not want to make this feature corrupt anything, rather add some girth to the low mids and lows which I think it does very well.  The people who tested the bass for us all came to the same conclusion, make it delicate, sweet and fill in these areas. Also I think the vast majority of users will also find it spot on, however again pleasing everyone is not a realistic goal, so many ears, so many different combinations of gear and thusly there will be some on the ends of the bell curve that the amp will not be a good match. 

Cheers!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #147 of 1,084
Thanks for the response Ken! Clears things up a bit. I'll wind up ordering one at some point regardless I'm sure, seeing the glowing impressions to this point. How can I resist? 

Congrats on a cool amp. 

May 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #148 of 1,084
I have now had my RX3 for over two weeks and I find the bass adjust is very subtle in its effects but I would not want it any more different. For bassheads, they should just look towards the EQ settings in the iPod menu etc but for those people who just want to add a little extra body to their music, the bass boost is perfect. I normally find that, if I even use the bass boost feature, I only use up to about 30% of its maximum. I am certainly never at 100% except for when I am just seeing what it can do. Buying an RX3 should be about purity in my opinion. For that- it excels!

The amp has great FR response and captures all of the bass in the original music anyhow. The only time I use the boost is with poorer music recordings.

Something else to keep in mind is that if there is no bass info in the song then the amp will not boost it anyway. Ken can correct me if I am wrong.

May 31, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #149 of 1,084
Quote:

The bass knob feature can be a little deceiving at first. When we first received the prototype with the initial bass feature I also thought it was not doing enough. However after using the amp for a day or so a really interesting thing occurred. I found that the more I got use to the amp the more I was able to discern the effect of the bass adjust, also my ears really became aware more of these freq. Additionally we did not want to make this feature corrupt anything, rather add some girth to the low mids and lows which I think it does very well.  The people who tested the bass for us all came to the same conclusion, make it delicate, sweet and fill in these areas. Also I think the vast majority of users will also find it spot on, however again pleasing everyone is not a realistic goal, so many ears, so many different combinations of gear and thusly there will be some on the ends of the bell curve that the amp will not be a good match. 

Cheers!
Ken

Ken,

how similar is this bass knob and it's effect to the old larocco portable amps?

questions about future developments for this promising amp: 
- are you entertaining more precise volume controls to address the channel imbalance issues people have reported, perhaps ala the digital units offered by headamp & rsa?
- how about offering a unit combing the clas & this amp, with easily selectable gain options by the user, in one compact chassis, and price it at least semi-affordably! i think that option would attract more buyers as that's reasonable to carry around whereas the idea of a brick with multiple components tied together is too much of a hassle for many!
thanks for addressing these questions.

May 31, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #150 of 1,084
Just received mine today and straight out of the box, testing it with LCD-2's, I find the bass knob just right for these headphones.  It does seem to have a minimal effect but I can definitely tell the difference as I crank it up.  I wouldn't want the effect to be any more than it is.  At least with the LCD-2's anyway.  I've never heard my LCD-2's sound this good, especially the bass.  Amazing product.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back