ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
May 25, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #121 of 1,084
@Kremer930, cheers for your impressions. Good to know bout the difference in SE vs balanced. I am getting balanced cables for my UM Merlins in the next few weeks (special deal rather than have to pay the full price).

Did you manage to try longer tests with the DX100?

It wont be a long test but Im meeting up with Kremer930 next weeked with my DX100 which by then will had about 200 hours burn in. Looking forward to meeting him and his balanced amp. The only reservation Im having is the whole EQ thing with the DX at the moment. This latest update on the firmware has been a real setback for sound quality IMO. hopefully Topflight is right and iBasso release an update soon and If the DX improves with the Rx3 Ken will get an order straight way from me.

May 26, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #123 of 1,084
I haven't measured the battery life but so far in my rig the iPod classic will run out of battery first, even if I don't touc the menus, then the CLAS and finally quite a while later the RX3. Battery life is much better on the RX3 than my iBasso Pb2 and I have only just put a new battery in the iBasso too.

May 26, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #124 of 1,084
Quote:
It wont be a long test but Im meeting up with Kremer930 next weeked with my DX100 which by then will had about 200 hours burn in. Looking forward to meeting him and his balanced amp. The only reservation Im having is the whole EQ thing with the DX at the moment. This latest update on the firmware has been a real setback for sound quality IMO. hopefully Topflight is right and iBasso release an update soon and If the DX improves with the Rx3 Ken will get an order straight way from me.

For myself the DX100 amp is clearly warmer than the Mk3 and both are clearly much more enjoyable to me than my other amp, the RSA SR-71B in that this one is to warm for my sound preferences; not that it would be for most people.    This presents me with options, good options for the different headphones I have.  Both have great detail and punch. 

Here is an analogy that just came to me. The DX100 amp is to the Mk3 as the Westone 4r sound is to the ES5 that I just got.  Don't know how long this relationship will stand but as a first impression this is what comes to me.  To say one is more enjoyable than the other  would be missing the point, they compliment each other.

And I have to say the DX100 dac is a big winner feeding the ALO Rx Mk3-B, with either single ended or balanced output.

This combo is really one of the best I have put together to date and probably will live with for a long time.

May 26, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #125 of 1,084
You have a great range of toys now.

It is good that you have the DT1350 as well as that is likely what Room40 will do his balanced comparison listening with.

Did you have your DT1350 totally rewired including the small gauge wire inside the cups and converted to a Y wiring rather than the single entry? My wire is silver plated copper to preserve the bass response.

May 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #126 of 1,084
Quote:
I haven't measured the battery life but so far in my rig the iPod classic will run out of battery first, even if I don't touc the menus, then the CLAS and finally quite a while later the RX3. Battery life is much better on the RX3 than my iBasso Pb2 and I have only just put a new battery in the iBasso too.

Thanks for sharing.  Guess I will leave my combo running and see how many hours it lasted.  So far it has great synergy with my K3003 and K550.  Cheers.

May 26, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #127 of 1,084
Good that you say it has great synergy with the k550's. I might ask Room40 to bring his along for a listen. They are a great looking can. I might also have a listen to my Vmoda m80's. They haven't had any airtime yet as they are only SE.

May 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #128 of 1,084
I can bring them along but we are certainly going to start gathering some unwanted attention sitting like n00bs in a cafe wearing full size cans 
tongue_smile.gif

In all honesty Im really out to lunch on the AKG550's with DX100.. if you think the K70Xs are thin and lack bass then IMHO the AKGs are thinner again. I have been burning them in for about 150 hours now and nothing has changed too much both on my desk top and portable gear. Im actually disappointed with them. My K701 has more bass and is more laid back - and that is saying something. My P5s are great with bass and mids but they just dont have that tight crispness in the highs and then the AKGS550s seem to have no bass and too crisp both on my DX100.

The seal on them is amazing.

Im not there yet.

May 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #129 of 1,084
You have a great range of toys now.
It is good that you have the DT1350 as well as that is likely what Room40 will do his balanced comparison listening with.
Did you have your DT1350 totally rewired including the small gauge wire inside the cups and converted to a Y wiring rather than the single entry? My wire is silver plated copper to preserve the bass response.

Moon audio did my wiring with my order using iem silver dragon wire

May 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #130 of 1,084
I can bring them along but we are certainly going to start gathering some unwanted attention sitting like n00bs in a cafe wearing full size cans :tongue_smile:

In all honesty Im really out to lunch on the AKG550's with DX100.. if you think the K70Xs are thin and lack bass then IMHO the AKGs are thinner again. I have been burning them in for about 150 hours now and nothing has changed too much both on my desk top and portable gear. Im actually disappointed with them. My K701 has more bass and is more laid back - and that is saying something. My P5s are great with bass and mids but they just dont have that tight crispness in the highs and then the AKGS550s seem to have no bass and too crisp both on my DX100.

The seal on them is amazing.

Im not there yet.

Bummer. The 550's look great. It is a shame that they don't have any bass kick. The drivers are quite big. I would have bought they might be ok. The Vmodas are quite good for a closed can. The dt1350 have great sound but are temperamental on placement and could seal better.

May 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #131 of 1,084
Moon audio did my wiring with my order using iem silver dragon wire

How is the bass using the silver wire? I wanted silver but stayed copper as I didn't want the beyers to be too bright.

May 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #132 of 1,084
Quote:
How is the bass using the silver wire? I wanted silver but stayed copper as I didn't want the beyers to be too bright.

From Moon Audio the IEM Silver Dragon spec: "The Silver Dragon IEM is a coaxial design using a 99.99998% UP-OCC Stranded Silver 26AWG center conductor for the positive leg. The center conductor uses the same Kevlar reinforcing as the other Dragon cables. The center conductor is wrapped concentrically by a 99.99998% UP-OCC silver plated single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper stranded 26AWG gauge conductor with 7N purity 99.99998%. "

Sound wise better clarity and more open .  There was a review of about 10 different cables and this one fared very well.

May 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #133 of 1,084
Hmm pretty good! The combination of materials is very close to what my logic was thinking would suit the standard frequency response. Glad to hear that you think they sound. I agree with the comment that they are more detailed and more open. I think the bass is really good too once you get a good seal and positioning happening.

They suit the RX3 well.

May 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #134 of 1,084
Quote:

For myself the DX100 amp is clearly warmer than the Mk3 and both are clearly much more enjoyable to me than my other amp, the RSA SR-71B in that this one is to warm for my sound preferences; not that it would be for most people.    This presents me with options, good options for the different headphones I have.  Both have great detail and punch. 

Here is an analogy that just came to me. The DX100 amp is to the Mk3 as the Westone 4r sound is to the ES5 that I just got.  Don't know how long this relationship will stand but as a first impression this is what comes to me.  To say one is more enjoyable than the other  would be missing the point, they compliment each other.

And I have to say the DX100 dac is a big winner feeding the ALO Rx Mk3-B, with either single ended or balanced output.

This combo is really one of the best I have put together to date and probably will live with for a long time.

Wow, this sounds so good to me.  I just ordered the RX3 yesterday so I can use it with the DX100 and try it out with the HP-P1 also.  Currently I've been using the DX100 alone and have the HP-P1 hooked up to the SR-71A and really love that combo.  To bring the RX3 into the mix and finally trying out the balanced option is something I'm really looking forward to.  Thanks for sharing.  

May 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #135 of 1,084
Quote:
Wow, this sounds so good to me.  I just ordered the RX3 yesterday so I can use it with the DX100 and try it out with the HP-P1 also.  Currently I've been using the DX100 alone and have the HP-P1 hooked up to the SR-71A and really love that combo.  To bring the RX3 into the mix and finally trying out the balanced option is something I'm really looking forward to.  Thanks for sharing.  

Hi DannyBai, I am sure you will enjoy this combo of HP-P1 + RX Mk3.      Driving my LCD2 very well.   But for sensitive iem, you need to listen at relatively loud level out of the Mk3.    Reminded me of the ALO Continental Version 1, which has the same issue.    Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back