Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Dec 14, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #691 of 3,117
Got 414 pads today. Didn't even bother to try them normally cause the fit was so tight and no one seems to use them that way. So I made the holes and reversed them right away. The result was, hhmmm, surprising. The sound became a lot lighter. The sound lost some bass quantity but gained some quality throughout the spectrum.

Even so I couldn't help but go back to my quarter modded comfies. I mainly listen to rock/heavy/metal and it seemed to lose some balls with 414's, 'cause you need that in rock
cool.gif
I can see why people like the reversed 414's, but for me the sound became too light/dry/sterile and I ended up using the comfies. It would just seem that with the differences in preferences and SQ differences of pads makes this very interesting topic.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #692 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got 414 pads today. Didn't even bother to try them normally cause the fit was so tight and no one seems to use them that way. So I made the holes and reversed them right away. The result was, hhmmm, surprising. The sound became a lot lighter. The sound lost some bass quantity but gained some quality through the spectrum.

Even so I couldn't help but go back to my quarter modded comfies. I mainly listen to rock/heavy/metal and it seemed to lose some balls with 414's, 'cause you need that in rock
cool.gif
I can see why people like the reversed 414's, but for me the sound became too light/dry/sterile and I ended up using the comfies. It would just seem that with the differences in preferences and SQ differences of pads makes this very interesting topic.
biggrin.gif

Wow... I find it amazing that a thing so small as the pads can change the SQ so dramatically.... Some HD414 pads are on the way though (although at this rate, the pads will arrive before the headphones!), because I like the funky-weird yellow colour
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #697 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where do you get the 414 pads? Since everyone is talking about them i assumed they came with the headphones.

You can get them from the sennheiser website, but they only ship to America (good for most of the world)...

I got mine from www.headphones.com.au which is in Australia. I'm sure theres other stores that sells them.

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #698 of 3,117
After reading a lot of threads on head-fi , i think i will make an order for the ms-1 as my first real headphone. I want to make sure i take the good decision. I listen to many genre of music (in order) Post-rock, Indie(rock,pop) , Rock , instrumental, Folk, vocalist , Jazz , Trip hop , Alternative , classical , electronica and a bit of hip hop. I won't buy an amp right now and i will use them at home, mostly with my ipod and my computer (for music). I want some bass but i prefer to have a clear and good sound.(mix of them) So is Alessandro right for me ?? or if you think i would prefer another pair of headphone in this range of price let me know (maximum 200 $ CAD) . Thanks !

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #699 of 3,117
I think you really can't go wrong with MS-1's. They sound amazing straight out of the iPod. That can't be said of many other higher quality phones. Also, the genres you described are generally considered good for MS-1. Basically, they are great for everything else but some massive pieces like symphony orchestras and such. I also believe that MS-1's offer well enough bass and the quality of it is exellent. From a very bad soundcard they do lack bass, but even from an iPod they are just fine.
cool.gif

So I for one can warmly recommend these phones and also give a warm welcome to a new member. Have fun and...

...sorry for your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #700 of 3,117
Hi there, you can easily buy HD 414 yellow pads from Ebay. I think that they are shipped worldwide for a little fee. Anyway just do a little search and you're set :wink:

Dec 15, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #701 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaiks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, you can easily buy HD 414 yellow pads from Ebay. I think that they are shipped worldwide for a little fee. Anyway just do a little search and you're set :wink:

LOL! with the high number of SR225 & MS-1 owners from Head-Fi hunting for HD414, I would not be surprised they run out of stock on eBay.

Dec 18, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #703 of 3,117
YAY! My HD414 pads arrived.... But theres no MS1's to put them on
frown.gif

They might arrive while I'm on holiday... Have to get the neighbor to check the doorstep as well as the letterbox!

Dec 18, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #704 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these replacement HD414 pads worth it? Why do you swap them out for these ones specifically?

Not just MS-1 but Grado in general. Swapping comfies will alter the sound dramatically. HD414 are popular because they provide better details than stock comfies (unmodded) and they are a lot more forgiving to those with small ears from the clamping pressure and do not warmed up (heated up) with long use like a comfies.

Dec 18, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #705 of 3,117
Mmm that yellow colour is so nice! I think I might get some yellow foam and put it on teh headband so it matches the earpads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back