Alessandro Music Series MS PRO FAN CLUB!
Jul 24, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 220
I ordered my GS1000 pads for TTVJ tonight. Now I just need to make up the distancers. Does it matter what kind of wood I use? I'm also going to look around for some PVC, CPVC, ABS or Bakelite that has the correct inside diameter. Then all I'll need to do is cut to length and add the collar to support the pads.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #17 of 220
Can't give you a really obliging answer in respect of material choice, but I personally doubt that different materials have a prominent impact to the sound. The inner parts of the distancer that get in touch with the sound are to be coated with thin felt anyway.

Lately, I found out that the "suit" of the distancer is also critical. If there are too many gaps between earcup and distancer, the deep bass vanishes - but if everything gets sealed too thight, it vanishes as well. A "95%-tight" suit turned out to produce a well textured bass. I finally drilled a small 1mm hole into each distancer to achieve that "breatheable" state.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #18 of 220
I see that felt is used on the inside of the distancers. What exactly does it do and how thick should it be? Is felt also used on the original Liberators? This was something that I completely missed.

TD

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #19 of 220
I use felt of the thinnest available sort. It tames highs and also helps a bit bringing out the bass. Yes, the original Liberators also were equipped with felt.

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #21 of 220
Cool Beans! So when my MS PROS arrive I'll be able to listen to them with the regular bowls they come with. I can also reverse those same bowl pads for different sound. Also available are Grado flat pads and Sennheiser yellow 414 pads. And with a little work I can make some Distancers and use the mother of all the GS1000 jumbo pads. Cool Beans I say. I'm sure to find the perfect sound. I'm glad I went with Grado cans.

TD

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #22 of 220
I think I may have found the perfect material to make Distancers.
It’s a composite material with the following spec’s ID 4 cm, wall thickness .5 cm, and the collar to hold the pads is 5.6 cm.
I’m hoping very little fitting will be required. I’m still waiting for my MS PROS to check its specs.

TD

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #23 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use felt of the thinnest available sort. It tames highs and also helps a bit bringing out the bass. Yes, the original Liberators also were equipped with felt.

Nico,

The Dark Audio Liberators were not supplied with the felt as standard, I applied self-adhesive felt to my Liberators
wink.gif

003.jpg

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #24 of 220
My Liberators came with two pieces of felt and a note from Darkaudio that utilization was recommended...but I guess I got one of the last produced exemplars anyway...

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 220
I received my GS1000 pads today. They should be at the same or better comfort level as my Sennheiser cans. Are all the Grado pads made of the same foams? Can the GS1000 pads be washed? Do you let them drip dry or squeeze them out after washing?

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #26 of 220
My MSPRO's finally came in. I listened to a variety of music with the bowls and then performed the Distancer - Jumbo Mod and these things sound great.
I ran out and picked up the Stanley Clarke - Marcus Miller - Victor Wooten new release THUNDER. I love the increased soundstage and the MS Ultimate (as the have been dubbed) is definitely not bass deficient. The comfort level is great, the Bowls were tolerable but irritating on my ears. The S. M.V. album is excellent and it's timing was perfect. The Distancers were made from ABS pipe. I'll try and post some pics.

TD

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #28 of 220
Oh, very glad to hear that you brought another "acoustical pig" into existance and that you are content with the result.
beerchug.gif
Very well done with the pipe as distancer. Could not see it from the pics, have you put some felt into the inner diameter?

Aug 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #29 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToneDeath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the GS1000 pads be washed? Do you let them drip dry or squeeze them out after washing?

I would just use warm water (ca. 104°F / 40°C) and squeeze it out. The foam seems very sensitive to me...

And congratulations on your MSultimate!
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 220
nickchen, the felt I used is black & matches the pads. The felt is called Prestofelt and is very thin. I purchased it from a Joanne Fabric store.

The 1 1/2 inch ABS pipe was purchased at Lowe's its ID was perfect at 4cm. I used a Tee to make the outer rings. I had access to a radial arm saw. I carefully cut the outer rings first off the Tee, slipping the length of ABS pipe into it for stability and putting a coupling or end cap on the other end to keep the height the same. It took a few cuts and some sanding to get the 1.3cm inner chamber. A small portion of ABS glue spread thin around the inner area of the outer ring holds them in place. I did not use any cleaner/adhesion promoter as it sets the glue to fast. Four 1mm holes are drilled in at the 12, 3, 6, 9 o’clock positions. Staples brand mounting putty (generic Blu-Tack ) hold the Distancers in place on my MS PRO’s. I used a very small amount of putty rolled thin and lightly pressed onto the Distancers outer edge. After the Distancers are firmly pressed onto the wooden MS housings I trimmed the excess putty off the outer edge. I personally don’t see the need for any stronger adhesives.

Thanks for all the great information and the Head-Fi community.

TD

o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back