Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Apr 10, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #2,296 of 2,483
This should be added to the front page!

Did you use T-shirt textiles or felt?

Quote:
The best way to make neat linings for the jumbo pads is by creating a circular pattern (roughly the size of a CD), then cut a smaller circle in the middle (use a large coin, a medal or a drawing compass). After that, fold the pattern to form a cone and adjust it to fit the shape of the inner wall of the jumbo pad. Once you are happy with the result, you can trim the excess bits from the cone and attach the fabric to the pads (with glue or whatever you prefer).

Hopefully the following pictures will be able to illustrate the method I described above.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #2,297 of 2,483
Oh also would glue work - and would it be safe to remove the lining after fixing it with glue?

May 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #2,298 of 2,483
Found a pair of MSPro for quite a reasonable price and thinking should I jump for it. This thread is like my 'house of alessandro' so I decided to ask here (lol)

Every comparison I can find is between the RS1 and MSPro and the MSPro being less fun/more neutral. If I already have a (imo) very neutral HD600, the MSPro would sound quite different to them right..? Then how about the big MSUltimate?

May 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2,300 of 2,483
Well we shall find out in a few day's time!

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #2,301 of 2,483
Bump to this epic thread!

Could I make the distancers out of yogurt cups? Like, smaller, 6 oz Stonyfield cups? I saw them in my fridge and I thought, "Wow, this just might work!"

I can cut a hole where the entire speaker grille is showing yet having enough contact with the Grado housing to glue them on.

What do you guys think?

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2,302 of 2,483
Give them a try! And I have spares if you stuff up.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #2,303 of 2,483
has anyone tried using any of Rhydon's various Symphones Magnums drivers installed in any MS-xxx shell? i'd love to hear a comparison to using MS1 and MS-Pro drivers.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,304 of 2,483
has anyone tried gluing the L-cush pads to the G-cush pads and use it on ms2i?

any impressions?

for now i am "holding" both G-cush pads on my head with the L-cush pads, so far it seems like the treble is increased... probably need a better listening to fully discern the differences

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #2,305 of 2,483
Hello,

Normally I only read on Head-fi, but this topic has been interesting me for quite a while now (i've been following it since the beginning).
I've got holidays right now, soo I decided to buy a pair of MS1's and try to build one myself, including a full wooden jacket and a distancer.

I'm very impressed with the woodies I've seen around here, especially the ones of Nickchen.

Before I'm starting to make some more precise drawings, I've got a question about the woodies, and I've tried to make a picture in paint, with some woodies out of Nickchen's showcase on the first page as reference. (I hope that's okay with you?)

I know the black lines aren't painted in the right distances (diameters) from each other, but it's just for the impression, and I'm not really good with paint so I decided to keep it like this.

I'm planning to try and drill them out of wood, because I don't have acces to any lahte equipment (I also don't have the skills).
So my question is: is this how they look on the inside (the diameters)?
In other words, do they consist of three different layers, of which the top one with the grill has a smaller diameter cut out so you can glue the grill onto it on the inside.

Phew my first post on head-fi ever :).

I'm not a native speaker so I'm sorry for any mistakes in my English (A).

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #2,306 of 2,483
Yep, that all looks good, Lars.  :)

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #2,307 of 2,483
Quote:
has anyone tried using any of Rhydon's various Symphones Magnums drivers installed in any MS-xxx shell? i'd love to hear a comparison to using MS1 and MS-Pro drivers.

I did. I wrote my initial findings in this thread:http://www.head-fi.org/t/323271/alessandro-ms1000-and-ms-ultimate-diy-modding-56k-warning/2175#post_7768687

And also in the 'Grado modders go magnum' thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum#post_7837292

My love for these headphones is still as strong as the first time I put them on. haven't had any urges to upgrade ever since. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,308 of 2,483
Although I don't know if that has any relevance anymore...

I'm back 
ph34r.gif

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,310 of 2,483
Anyone in the know for EU price friendly source the the G-Cush? Anywhere I look it's really, really insane (not counting the shipping)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back