Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Aug 27, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #1,561 of 2,483

ah.. just like me, but I'm using the PX100 pad for that purpose 
smile.gif
 (for my MS1000)
Quote:
I've massacred the comfies and put them under the jumbos as seen in the photo. I was hoping to tame those metallic highs that scratch my ears.

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #1,563 of 2,483
I went ahead and put holes in the driver and felted the inside back.... Wow.

I overall I would actually call it an improvement. I tried it both without distancers and with 12 and 14mm distancers, I think I like the 14mm the most (where as before I liked the 12mm more). To my ears it the sound has gotten less shrill over the stock ms1000's and added quite a bit more bass. This is the first time I can really say I feel like my MS1's are giving me strong bass impact. The midbass however can be almost too much at times. I've only listened for about an hour since I modified them but I'll let you guys know what I think after some more listening tomorrow. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #1,564 of 2,483

Quote:

The midbass however can be almost too much at times. I've only listened for about an hour since I modified them but I'll let you guys know what I think after some more listening tomorrow. 

If so, there were propably too many holes opened. Maybe even the amount NoXter & me chose was too much, but I am dead sure that there must be a "sweet spot" somewhere. However, I am confident that re-closing of holes will be possible (glueing of fleece, taping, etc.)

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #1,565 of 2,483

Quote:

If so, there were propably too many holes opened. Maybe even the amount NoXter & me chose was too much, but I am dead sure that there must be a "sweet spot" somewhere". However, I am confident that re-closing of holes will be possible (glueing of fleece, taping, etc.)

Should probably mention that before people go poking holes in their phones.  Just saying.

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #1,566 of 2,483
As proteine-based lifeform, I am bound to be fallible...
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #1,567 of 2,483

Quote:
As proteine-based lifeform, I am bound to be fallible...
wink.gif

Haha.  What's a bit of Carbon and H2O amongst friends?  
wink_face.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #1,568 of 2,483
With all the holes punched out, there is no (or no obviously audible) increase in mid-bass if you wear jumbo pads directly on the phones (or so I perceive) - with the distancers there is a bit of an increase which I'm still deciding whether I like or not. Bass is certainly quite intense with the holes punched AND the distancers compared to what we normally expect from a Grado! As Nickchen points out, the holes of course can easily be covered with micropore, masking tape, blue tac, felt etc to "tune" the bass to ones personal preference, so no need for anyone to be worried if they've done the mod and not liked it.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #1,569 of 2,483
My impressions on NoXter's exemplar were only some minutes, liked it, but too short to find out if it does anything to the mids. My impression was that they were unaltered, but...

I'll examine that closer next weekend when I woody one more MS1, and here the punch hole mod is explictly desired by the customer. Guess I borrow NoXter's MS1K as reference.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #1,570 of 2,483
i done the mod and don't like it. i have ms1i's and this is my first mod attempt, if you don't count the hd414 pads. i made 13mm spacers, put on ms1000 pads and they sounded very good, but last night i opened all 10 holes and now they sound very muddy. i think i'll try without the spacers first and then felt-modding the back of the driver and see how they sound before plugging up the holes again.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,571 of 2,483
I'm still forming impressions too. This morning I added a very thin layer of blu tac around the air chamber walls under the usual layer of felt and this seems to have controlled the sound a bit more. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #1,572 of 2,483

Quote:
i done the mod and don't like it. i have ms1i's and this is my first mod attempt, if you don't count the hd414 pads. i made 13mm spacers, put on ms1000 pads and they sounded very good, but last night i opened all 10 holes and now they sound very muddy. i think i'll try without the spacers first and then felt-modding the back of the driver and see how they sound before plugging up the holes again.

All 10 might have been a bit much...I'll start with 2 or 3 per side next week.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #1,575 of 2,483
Tried NoXter's "half opened" MS1K yesterday once more, still liked the slam
basshead.gif
, and I had the impression that also the lower mids got a slight push, hence it sounded a bit warmer than the usual MS1K. Warmth in the mids is something I like very much.

Too bad that opening my Ulti can't be done without erecting a major construction site...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back