Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Aug 30, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #1,576 of 2,483
Opened up another hole so that makes 5. I don't want to go any further as I fear that opening up more holes will result in sloppiness and too much bass. 4-5 holes is nice as it doesn't alter the MS1000's sound signature at all; it only increases bass. But like I said I fear that if I open up more than 5 holes it would get in the way of mids and highs.

Eddie, what did you do with the chamber? I am thinking of trying some more (Bilavideo) mods: remove the cloth on the drivers and dampening of the driver/chamber with putty/epoxy stuff.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #1,577 of 2,483
I have a large piece of blutac on the back of the metal plate, a thin layer of blutac around the chamber walls and then a layer of felt pushed into that thin layer of blutac. I also have the cloth removed from the baffles.

There is a definite increase in the lower mid-bass with all holes open, but I like it. It's not a huge increase; It is nowhere near the amount of midbass you would find on, say, an HD650. It's more an an underlying warmth to the sound.

You can tame it by blocking the holes with blutac, I had a few hours with four holes on each blocked up and found it very pleasant; lighter sounding but still plenty of bass. But then when I took them off again I decided in reflection that I actually want to keep that warmth and left them off.

Aug 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #1,579 of 2,483
I never found any sibilance with the ten holes/no distancers set up - maybe I wasn't listening to the right music to show it up? Anyway, I think you will miss the soundstage the distancers give if you go without them for long (I did) so if I was you I would be experimenting with different methods of blocking the holes, either to a similar extent to that they were before (kitchen felt I guess) or something stronger like micropore or masking tape, or go the full way and block them completely with blutac.

There are a lot of options for tuning.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #1,581 of 2,483
Apart from technical abilities, what is the main difference between MS1000 and MSultimate? Correct! The tonality. Today Nickchen and I modded another MS1 and used mine as a reference. 
It ended up in 4x4.
4 holes on the backside of the driver and 4 1,5mm holes in the distancer. 
As a special we applied a piece of a t-shirt (65% polyester, 35% cotton) inside the bigbowls. That tames a lot of harsh treble. Now it isn't necessary anymore to apply felt in front of the driver or on the distancer. Months ago we thought it wouldn't make a difference and it is just for comfort, but the difference is striking.

Now, the MS1k sounds almost (98%) like a MSultimate with a tad more bass. 
smile.gif
That is really nice!

For better understanding Nickchen made some pics. These will follow... 

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #1,582 of 2,483
The T-shirt is inside the bowls? I don't quite understand that image, could you post a pic?

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #1,583 of 2,483

Quote:
Got to say with the chamber properly damped I'm liking all 10 open, although I do seem to be alone on that one!

I've got all 10 open too and my inner chamber is uber swamped with Blutak. I don't have an MS1K but using this on an SR80. Sounds great -- the damping is the key I think to letting the 10 holes work for you. My cup has been woodified though so that may also count for something.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #1,584 of 2,483

Quote:
Apart from technical abilities, what is the main difference between MS1000 and MSultimate? Correct! The tonality. Today Nickchen and I modded another MS1 and used mine as a reference. 
It ended up in 4x4.
4 holes on the backside of the driver and 4 1,5mm holes in the distancer. 
As a special we applied a piece of a t-shirt (65% polyester, 35% cotton) inside the bigbowls. That tames a lot of harsh treble. Now it isn't necessary anymore to apply felt in front of the driver or on the distancer. Months ago we thought it wouldn't make a difference and it is just for comfort, but the difference is striking.

Now, the MS1k sounds almost (98%) like a MSultimate with a tad more bass. 
smile.gif
That is really nice!

For better understanding Nickchen made some pics. These will follow... 

Yep, this is really a big one, a MS1000 with MS Pro Ulti sound. Think I have to update post #1 soon.

My Ulti always had some advantages over the usual MS1000. Apart from better resolution and imaging (not that prominent), the bass and mids department had always sounded a bit thin and cold in direct comparison. Now we've modded exactly that sound sig into the MS1K. Here's the how-to:

1st, cover & glue the inner part of the beagle with textile stuff. I had applied that t-shirt stuff out of comfort reasons more than a year ago, and I had thought it did not influence the sound at all. Must have been one of my deaf days. Today's examinations turned out that the coating the inner parts of the Jumbos has a similar effect as the usage of houseware fleece layers, but coupled with some further advantages (marked them cursive):
  1. taming of highs & upper mids
  2. more warmth in the tonality
  3. no detraction of the bass
  4. better comfort for those who find the beagle's foam scratchy

2nd, as the sound became really dark at 1st attempt, we drilled another 4th hole into the distancer in order to fine tune the effect.

3rd: The punch hole question: We ended up punching (only) 4 holes in the back of the driver. More would have been a bit much on drum heavy tracks.

After some critical listening, we agreed: That combination puts the MS1000 to the exact tonality many adore so much at my MS Pro Ultimate. You'll get the greater bass punch and those AKG-like worldclass mids. Listen to some piano and acoustical stuff before and after, and you'll know what I mean.

Sounds absolutely superb!!!
atsmile.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #1,586 of 2,483
Guess so...but I recommend some trial fixation with needles before glueing things together...

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #1,588 of 2,483
Yes, the sound changed from "unlistenable" to "quite bad"
tongue.gif
  But maybe, with a much bigger housing in DT770 style...
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back