Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jan 31, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #1,081 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As some of you might already have read, I have equipped my DT880 with 600Ω systems, and I am very fond of what I hear.

Around the same time I have some DT880'600s as well. They sound very good indeed and capture most of the speed of the Alessandros.
Do you find burn in improved the lows already? I have absolutely no problems with the lows on the DT880.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #1,082 of 2,483
Burn in helped significantly, however, the Alessandro still has better structured and more bass. And I wouldn't regard the MS1K / Ulti as particulary bass heavy, IMO they are rather an the audiophile (if not to say shy) side.

It's a genre question though. The DT880'600 has more than enough bass for everything, except that rumbling sort of electronica I love so much.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #1,084 of 2,483
ES7 is a whole class beneath, if that helps...

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #1,085 of 2,483
I think I spent some five minutes with ESW9s at a meet. They were very fine headphones.

But your sig says you have both so I guess you should know the answer?
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #1,087 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I spent some five minutes with ESW9s at a meet. They were very fine headphones.

But your sig says you have both so I guess you should know the answer?
wink.gif

Actually, I haven't received the ESW9 yet, but I am planning to mod them.
biggrin.gif

I am having a bit of buyer's remorse though, even though I did get them at a fantabulous price (and I know for a fact that they aren't fake).

Go on, guess the price.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #1,088 of 2,483
Ok, silly questions here but Im hoping for quick and simple answers from the Grado Pros. Just got my MS2i today. I think they came with the 19545 sen pads with the half dollar mod (bought these from sacdlover).

Well, my ears are directly on the speaker and it seems the pad doesn't create any distance whatsoever from my head. Almost cant even feel the pads since my ears keep the pads from even touching me for the most part. Is this normal? I haven't even heard them yet, not until I get home tonight.

Will the bowl pads create a little distance or the comfies? Can I do the MS1000 mod to the MS2i, or is it a MS1 thing as the title of the thread suggests? I really want to do this to my MS2i and thus the reason Im asking in this thread.

Im a Grado Noob here, they just fit so different from any other cans Ive ever put on my head.

Also, supposing I can do this distancer mod will I be able to woody them out with the Jmoney mushroom covers or will this not be compatible. Do I need to make my own custom wood if I want to use them with the distancer and the G1000 pads or is there another place I can get the wood.

Also, I understand not all these questions probably belong in this thread but where is the best place or person to talk to for a mini plug re-cable on these. I think I might want to go that route.

Thanks guys in advance for helping me on my Grado road.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #1,089 of 2,483
No distancers & Jumbos on a MS2, it will kill you with overboarding bass and ssssibilants.

NoXter and me tinkered quite a bit on the MS2, the most perfect combination in respect of sound, soundscaping and comfort were AKG K270 velours pads, which we glued onto HD414 pads. Read the first few sides of this thread, somewhere must be a pic of that combination.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #1,090 of 2,483
Been busy again...
cool.gif

newwoody.jpg

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,091 of 2,483
Quote:

Been busy again...
cool.gif

Wow, now thats seriously nice. Would love that look on my MS2 but nobody does work like that. Love it, congrats on your great skill.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #1,092 of 2,483
That one is going to be put onto a SR325, which has metal cups as well. Not a big issue IMO...

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #1,095 of 2,483
Quote:

Been busy again...
cool.gif

I'm sure you've already adressed it, but could you give a quick recap of how these things affect the sound on the MS-1000? Or point me to the right post...

Would you consider building a set for sale? If so, how much?

Thanks
Knut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back