Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Feb 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #1,111 of 2,483
Here's the press I just got. It's bigger than the Pix look! Weighs about 340#

AAA_1969.JPG

AAA_1970.JPG

AAA_1971.JPG

I'm looking at a machinests table and vice setup for it, with Micrometer controls for X-Y movements.

If someone who's done these gadgets sends me a list of stuff to get and the procedure, I may setup for distancers.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #1,112 of 2,483
That looks definetely like something, Les.

Now next step is getting something like this
lochbohrer.jpg

or this
kreisbohrer01.jpg
Take a look into post #1 and a pocket calculator to get your inch values, and then try to get some of those drill saws that will provide at least roughly the correct diameters. Must be existant over there.

To build distancers, you basically build two sort of wood tubes - one thinner one for the...ummhh...channel and one thicker one for the bulge part. Both tubes have the same inner diameter of 4cm. To make these tubes a distancer, you cut a longer slice off the thinner tube and a very thin slice off the bigger tube and glue these components together.

You sand it down to the correct length, smooth edges a bit, drill the 3 holes, place & glue the felt coating, rework the holes with a nail or so - ready.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #1,113 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks definetely like something, Les.

Now next step is getting something like this
lochbohrer.jpg

or this
kreisbohrer01.jpg
Take a look into post #1 and a pocket calculator to get your inch values, and then try to get some of those drill saws that will provide at least roughly the correct diameters. Must be existant over there.

To build distancers, you basically build two sort of wood tubes - one thinner one for the...ummhh...channel and one thicker one for the bulge part. Both tubes have the same inner diameter of 4cm. To make these tubes a distancer, you cut a longer slice off the thinner tube and a very thin slice off the bigger tube and glue these components together.

You sand it down to the correct length, smooth edges a bit, drill the 3 holes, place & glue the felt coating, rework the holes with a nail or so - ready.

I've got quite a few hole saws. Thanx, I'll look over post one.

I've also got band saws and table saws. Just don't have a lathe.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,114 of 2,483
A belt sander in "vice versa mode" is also quite useful in that context...
th_xP1010005.jpg

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #1,115 of 2,483
Quote:

Well...

Fit is provided by the 414s, and the big AKG velours pads are glued onto them (use superglue). The overall result is something similar the C-Pads, but it sounds much better.

Havent tried it with other pads instead of the 414s, but I guess other combinations as "foundation" for the K270 pads might work as well.

Thanks,
So in terms of size are the velour pads flush with the HD414/comfies edge, or whether they "stick out" of the edges, or have a larger footprint if you know what I mean?

I guess it's a bit shallow but aesthetics matter a lot to me, especially with a beautiful set of phones like the MS2i.

Cheers

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #1,116 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in terms of size are the velour pads flush with the HD414/comfies edge, or whether they "stick out" of the edges, or have a larger footprint if you know what I mean?

No...?
redface.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #1,118 of 2,483
That works.
tongue.gif

No, the velours pad is much bigger, you get a fullsized circumaural that way. Wait, I search NoXter's pics in the german thread...

ms2b.jpg

ms2a.jpg

Huh, looks like we didn't use 414s then, that looks rather like the stock pads of the MS1...how were they called? I always mix up flats and comfies...
ph34r.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #1,119 of 2,483
Thanks nickchen
smily_headphones1.gif

Doesn't actually look too bad in a funny sort of way, think it might work best with flats due to their density. Might give it a go.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: In answer to your question - those are comfies - they are the open-cell soft foam ones that cover the whole face of the headphone, those ones have been quarter-modded though. The flats are the kind of a denser foam that used to be stock with Grados and are now only available from TTVJ. These have a hole to reveal the mesh over the transducer, stock they come with "slits" cut into the foam, the flaps these make can be left or cut away to make a thinner ring around the face of the headphone.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #1,120 of 2,483
Okay, I got all of my hole saws.

Thing is, how do you make that lip (that holds the foam pad)?

It seems to be really difficult. I am trying with two 7mm (1/4 inch) boards.

All I have is a hand drill, so it's hard to get the chamber.

Help?

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #1,121 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you make that lip (that holds the foam pad)?

You build a 2nd tube with greater outer diameter, cut a slice off that tube and glue that onto the thinner tube.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #1,122 of 2,483
okay. I don't have those wood sizes in my area. It's only 7 mm and 14 mm.

So I'm going to try two 7 mm boards. One will be the lip, the other the chamber.

Did anyone DIY the GS1000 pads? I have a car sponge just idling sitting, waiting to be cut up.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

You build a 2nd tube with greater outer diameter, cut a slice off that tube and glue that onto the thinner tube.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #1,123 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone DIY the GS1000 pads?

Someone in the german forum (a good tinkerer) tried that, but failed. Reason was that the Jumbos are made out of 2 foam sorts of different denseness, which isn't so easely to be reproduced.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #1,124 of 2,483
Similar to the bowls? Like the denser foam makes a sandwich on the airier foam?
Quote:

Someone in the german forum (a good tinkerer) tried that, but failed. Reason was that the Jumbos are made out of 2 foam sorts of different denseness, which isn't so easely to be reproduced.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #1,125 of 2,483
Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back