Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
May 6, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 2,483
Is there a place to buy GS1000 pads in Europe which can compete with TTVJ + shipping to Europe?

May 6, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 2,483
I doubt it. We found some german dealer who sells GS1K pads for 60ish. Looking at the actual exchange rates and the 10$ bonus Todd offers, we get them from him for 34€ incl. shipping.

May 6, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 2,483
great stuff! I gotta try this one...I need to get a MS1 first
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 2,483
For those who don't have the skills or patience to do this, I suggest trying the AT AD700. For about $100 it adds imaging and a huge soundstage to the similar sounding MS1.

May 6, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #22 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who don't have the skills or patience to do this, I suggest trying the AT AD700. For about $100 it adds imaging and a huge soundstage to the similar sounding MS1.

Hmmm... interesting... but is it as lively and "light on its toes" (i.e. effortless dynamics) as the MS-1?

That's a serious question, by the way; I really do want to know. I haven't heard the AD700's. I appreciate the lively presentation of the MS-1's, and am disappointed with anything that doesn't come close; don't know if I would buy a headphone that didn't have that.

May 7, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #24 of 2,483
Any thoughts on using PVC to make wannabe-liberators? I live in the city and have little access to power tools required to cut wood :/.

May 7, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #27 of 2,483
The best thing for a try is to fix them temporarily with some wrapped around layers of adhesive tape. A german headfier who wanted to try them both on MS1 and HF1 successfully did so (results of HF1000 not available right now BTW).

Final fixation for usage should be done with some sort of stronger glue. That can be reversed as well (we used some drops of superglue on the MS Pro and reversed them afterwards), but it's the the distancers that are likely to be damaged then - some part of wood was ripped out of their substance and remained on the fon until we scatched also these off.

May 7, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #28 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... interesting... but is it as lively and "light on its toes" (i.e. effortless dynamics) as the MS-1?

That's a serious question, by the way; I really do want to know. I haven't heard the AD700's. I appreciate the lively presentation of the MS-1's, and am disappointed with anything that doesn't come close; don't know if I would buy a headphone that didn't have that.

I listen to classical music with a tube amp so this may make a difference. Yes, I think they're a fast, lively phone because their bass doesn't pollute the midrange. If you're curious, Amazon sells them for $107 with a reasonable exchange policy. Like this MS1 mod, they have big, comfy cushions too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back