Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Sep 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,446 of 2,483
I'm still enjoying these MS1000 . It was sad for a while as I couldn't open them up much at work - and work was the main place I had time to listen to them. While It sucked that I was recently sacked - I have a new job - and it's working from home - so I'm having more time to enjoy these.

I also recently picked up a set of DT-880 Premium 600 ohm Manufaktur off a drop. They're quite nice - perhaps not as analytical as the MS1000. I'll probably keep the DT-880's but not sure I'd have picked them up given time to side by side. Other set is DT-770 Pro. Too easy to turn into a headphone Junkie!

Anybody on the fence - build a set - you won't regret it!

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #2,449 of 2,483
hello, i have the ms1's and i for the life of me can not figure out how to obtain the jaban mod kit? i tried to register at the jaban forum to ask but it says registration is closed. or is there some where else i can get this mod now from? been slowly going through this huge thread but taking a while.

thank you for any help!

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,450 of 2,483
  Is there a reversible way to add the spacers to Alessandro MS Pro's or do you have to glue them?

I fixed them to my MS-1 with blue-tac. Just roll the blue tac like clay into thin strands and fix them to the spacers, then press the spacer in place. The longer they stick that way, the more they get fixed, but they can always be removed and blue tac traces can be removed from the plastic with rubbing alcohol.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,451 of 2,483
  I fixed them to my MS-1 with blue-tac. Just roll the blue tac like clay into thin strands and fix them to the spacers, then press the spacer in place. The longer they stick that way, the more they get fixed, but they can always be removed and blue tac traces can be removed from the plastic with rubbing alcohol.

Thanks!  I will give it a try.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,452 of 2,483
Jun 6, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #2,453 of 2,483
did i say something wrong? lol no one can help me out here? just wanting to upgrade these things since i like them now and im reading they are fantastic after the upgrade. i just can not figure out how to contact jaben to get the kit? or is there somewhere else to get it?

again thank you for any help anyone can be. it would be much appreciated. im still new to all this and im learning as i go.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #2,454 of 2,483
  did i say something wrong? lol no one can help me out here? just wanting to upgrade these things since i like them now and im reading they are fantastic after the upgrade. i just can not figure out how to contact jaben to get the kit? or is there somewhere else to get it?

again thank you for any help anyone can be. it would be much appreciated. im still new to all this and im learning as i go.

Maybe you should fill out your profile. There are people in different parts of the world who make the spacers. I got my wooden spacers from ApatN, who lives in the Netherlands, but there's also a guy in Germany who made them. Don't know if they're still in business. If you're in the USA, there could be US members who know someone who can get/make them.

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2,456 of 2,483

As you mentioned Jaben I figure you live in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore or other Asean countries?

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,458 of 2,483
My buddy went back to school to study engineering, and since he has access to a 3D printer in the physics lab, he printed up some spacers for me.  I had the GS pads around from a few years ago when I intended to undertake this project.  Since my Angies are at JH getting repaired til next week (they're tough, but apparently not "slam down from 6 feet onto a stone floor tough... one of em cracked), I decided to get these things together.  I followed the specs in the OP.  The lip on the spacers is a bit too thin, as the pads like to fall off, and the t-shirt fabric I glued to the pads looks atrocious, mainly cuz I used a knife instead of scissors and I'm **** for arts n crafts.  I also give zero ****s, lol, although I'll point out that the stains are glue, so it's not as gross as it looks!  Other than that, I am very pleasantly surprised.  

Mahler's Symphony of a Thousand is downright glorious, and Mat Zo's album from this March, "Self Assemble," thumps in a way it NEVER did on the regular MS-1s (I poked 3 holes in the fleece with a small screw driver).  These are not just a good stand-in for the Angies while they're gone, but offer a cool different sound signature... I think for huge-sounding classical, big band or rock performances, the soundstage will offer a brilliant contrast to the Angies'.  I'm looking forward to A/Bing the two headphones, and of course, I just can't wait to get my IEMs back... I still haven't heard anything that sounds as good.  Hearing the thump on these MS 1000s, though, makes me eye up those LCD cans even harder...

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #2,459 of 2,483
Hi everyone, thank you for such an awesome thread.  Thanks to you guys my old MS-1's are seeing more use than my HD 650's lately.  They are only modded with the good old yellow Sennheiser HD414 pads with the quarter and tape mod.  You guys have me contemplating wooden bowls....

Before I get to the wooden bowls, I have a quick question for you experts out there regarding pads.  Do you have a preference between Sennheiser HD414 pads or Grado G (jumbo) pads?  

I've done some searching, and found conflicting results.  Some folks seem to think that without the spacer and/or wood bowls, the G pads are not a worthwhile upgrade.  I've read comments that the mids are too far removed among other things.  InnerFidelity, using the SR225is really seemed to like the G pads and the HD414 pads, giving a slight edge to G pads. (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads) I am happy with the HD414 pads but would like an over ear rather than on ear pad.  What do you think, worth the $50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back