Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Dec 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #2,388 of 2,483
Magnum drivers here, with distancers on Marty wooden cups and G-Cush. Magnum 1000? Love them btw :)

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2,390 of 2,483
How does one build such a beast? Mostly interested in how you install the drivers exactly
ph34r.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,391 of 2,483
  Magnum drivers here, with distancers on Marty wooden cups and G-Cush. Magnum 1000? Love them btw :)

Are you using the 14mm distance? 

I made one set of limba cups with the 14mm spacer built in.  I haven't used them yet for a couple of reasons:  I love just listening to the MS1s (with distancers and G-cush) that I've only had a couple of weeks, and the turbulent X drivers I ordered haven't arrived yet. Should be here in a weeks.

I'm not sure how the limba cups will sound because I put a load of oil and wax on them before I realized I probably shouldn't do that.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2,392 of 2,483
It went like this...

I own the #001 Marty full woody jacket as can be seen on his site "where it all started". It's a lovely Cebil and Paduak combo. The pics were taken during the construction and assembly process, but they should give a good idea of it all: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69278404@N07/sets/72157629288985715/

Nickchen supplied a nice 11mm pair distancers which I attached with blutac kind of thingy so it would be reversible. Yes I keep the velvety stuff on them as it tames the highs - no need to mod what has been thoroughly researched and tested.

The G-Cushs are Grado standard foamies that I got to play around with all Grado stuff that I have around me. I've played with cheaper materials by other vendors... waste of time and money - go with Grado!

The Magnums are v3.5

Installing the drivers is a process that can be achieved under several approaches. The way the cups are built by the craftsman will dictate the correct method of instalation. On this specific cups case, it's required some sort of rubber ring that will secure the driver against the cup. This was Marty's first effort and as lovely as the set is, it would be bettered on instances of his production process (I have more Marty stuff with me), namely the gimbals and the fixation of the drivers against the cups.

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #2,393 of 2,483
  It went like this...

I own the #001 Marty full woody jacket as can be seen on his site "where it all started". It's a lovely Cebil and Paduak combo. The pics were taken during the construction and assembly process, but they should give a good idea of it all: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69278404@N07/sets/72157629288985715/

Nickchen supplied a nice 11mm pair distancers which I attached with blutac kind of thingy so it would be reversible. Yes I keep the velvety stuff on them as it tames the highs - no need to mod what has been thoroughly researched and tested.

The G-Cushs are Grado standard foamies that I got to play around with all Grado stuff that I have around me. I've played with cheaper materials by other vendors... waste of time and money - go with Grado!

The Magnums are v3.5

Installing the drivers is a process that can be achieved under several approaches. The way the cups are built by the craftsman will dictate the correct method of instalation. On this specific cups case, it's required some sort of rubber ring that will secure the driver against the cup. This was Marty's first effort and as lovely as the set is, it would be bettered on instances of his production process (I have more Marty stuff with me), namely the gimbals and the fixation of the drivers against the cups.

Thank you for the information.  I'm not familiar any of Marty's product or his website but they do look really nice.

So far I have been turning my cups on a lathe and have been building in the spacers.  I like the idea of a removable spacer (like I have on my MS1s) and I will probably make a couple out of wood.  One of the great things about using the G-cush pads is that with 14mm spacers you can barely see the spacers and I expect with the 11mm spacers the spacer is completely hidden by the pads. 

I can custom make my cups for a tight fit with a set of drivers but they will be harder to install and remove.  I like the idea of using foam tape on the driver to facilitate a snug fit, but I'm not convinced that the tape doesn't reduce the effect of the wood's resonances. 

If I get mine sounding really, really great, I may invest in some better headbands and gimbals.  Right now I plan to use headbands and "gimbals" from the $10 Auvio HP I got from Radio Shack on Black Friday. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #2,394 of 2,483
Don't want to be the party crusher, but I've yet to hear a Magnum 1000 that did sound as good as a MS1K or a Ulti. The 2 models I built for others were okay-ish, but...

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #2,395 of 2,483
  Don't want to be the party crusher, but I've yet to hear a Magnum 1000 that did sound as good as a MS1K or a Ulti. The 2 models I built for others were okay-ish, but...

I expect to find out in the near future.  nickchen, a couple of questions:  Is the Ultimate clearly better than the MS1K?  Anywhere near worth 5 times the price?  What the best driver you have heard in your "Grado" type cups?

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2,396 of 2,483

I can custom make my cups for a tight fit with a set of drivers but they will be harder to install and remove.  I like the idea of using foam tape on the driver to facilitate a snug fit, but I'm not convinced that the tape doesn't reduce the effect of the wood's resonances. 

Check here for a great look at how these cups were turned http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/2850#post_9792480

The drivers just snap in with a thumb press.

Foam tape also works very well. Grado uses plastic on non-wood drivers...

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #2,397 of 2,483
  Check here for a great look at how these cups were turned http://www.head-fi.org/t/576717/grado-modders-go-magnum/2850#post_9792480

The drivers just snap in with a thumb press.

Foam tape also works very well. Grado uses plastic on non-wood drivers...

Thank you for the Link.  I have read that thread quite a bit but I still want to check it some more. 

I am looking for some foam tape but haven't been able to find any so far.  I like the idea of a press fit into the wood much better, but I expect I will experiment a bit and I know all my cups won't be the exact same size and I will try a few different drivers which I'm sure won't be the same size.

If anyone know a source of foam tape I would appreciate the information.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,398 of 2,483
I use this stuff...

The product is "Weather-and-Fire-Retardant Foam, Adhesive-Back, 1/16" Thick, 3/8" W, 50' L", and the part number is 8694K112:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8694k112/=pg39yy

The website is a touch counter-intuitive, but if you go to the "build order" link in the top right, and enter the part number you should be all set (if my memory serves me well).

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #2,399 of 2,483
I use this stuff...

The product is "Weather-and-Fire-Retardant Foam, Adhesive-Back, 1/16" Thick, 3/8" W, 50' L", and the part number is 8694K112:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8694k112/=pg39yy

The website is a touch counter-intuitive, but if you go to the "build order" link in the top right, and enter the part number you should be all set (if my memory serves me well).

Thank you!  I will go ahead and order a roll of that if shipping is not too bad.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #2,400 of 2,483
I don't recall it being nightmarish, buts been about a year since I ordered. One roll lasts a long time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back