Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Mar 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #1,201 of 2,483
IMG_8481800x600.jpg

IMG_8499800x600.jpg

Before I get asked again: The white dots are reflections of the grid in the lacquering (the sun was bright).

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #1,204 of 2,483
Just finalized a brand new MS1K I built for someone, did the whole thing, incl. ordering MS1 & Jumbos.

I must say, a brand new Alessandro out of the box is ever and anon a horrible experience. It sounds shrill, thin & congested compared to my Ulti, but when my Ulti was brand new and I compared it to my MS1K, it was totally vice versa.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #1,205 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finalized a brand new MS1K I built for someone, did the whole thing, incl. ordering MS1 & Jumbos.

I must say, a brand new Alessandro out of the box is ever and anon a horrible experience. It sounds shrill, thin & congested compared to my Ulti, but when my Ulti was brand new and I compared it to my MS1K, it was totally vice versa.

Guess I don't understand your meaning about the second part of your statement... you mean the MS1K sounded better than your stock Ulti?

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #1,206 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess I don't understand your meaning about the second part of your statement... you mean the MS1K sounded better than your stock Ulti?

I didn't get that either.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #1,207 of 2,483
My old MS1000 (>3000h) sounded much better than the Ulti with zero hours. Luckily, it could catch up and overtake later during the break in process.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,208 of 2,483
MS1000 arrived - first impressions - WOW!

I was really interested to hear this set of phones but was not prepared for how good it sounded! So good I couldn't go to bed for hours last night trying all my favourite tracks with them and am now very tired.

I mean they are Really good. I might be getting over-excited from just one session with them but they are already pretty high up there in my collection.

Haven't experiemented with different amounts of j-cloth yet (started off with quite a lot in there, will scale it back until I hit my sweet spot) or even stuck the distancers on (just using "the clamp" to keep them in place till I can borrow a hot glue gun), so am looking forward to tuning these properly to my tastes.

Glad to be a club MS1000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #1,209 of 2,483
Nice to see more people joining the team! I am even thinking of picking up a MS-PRO (or HE-5 but haven't figured out), but it'll have to wait for the time being: the things is equal in cost to a nice vacation. Let us hope that I will have enough money for one after the holidays.
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #1,210 of 2,483
From memory, I believe the MS1000 was much more spacious sounding than the HE-5, much more akin to AKG's soundstage. Headstage/imaging might be a tie, but the HE-5 has so much more resolution and low level details..and the bass has better extension and quality.

I imagine the MS-Pro (1000) to come near, but not equal the HE-5. IMO, it feels like an amalgamation of a lot of headphones - Sennhesier, AKG, Grado, taking all their good qualities into one product.

One thing about the HE-5 is that it is very dependent on proper amping, as it needs a LOT of juice to run properly. Also, I find that the HE-5 compared to the MS1000 is not as bright, and not as forward as well.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #1,211 of 2,483
I heard the HE-5 and they are a very fine pair of phones. I agree they are picky about amplification but I think my Goldpoint does a fair enough job.
wink.gif

The HE-5's mids made me think about Stax. They share the same nice neutrality and transparency. The highs are nice and sparkling and the bass well defined.
They don't really compare to the MS1000 imo. The difference in resolution is just too big to make it a fair comparison. If anything though I agree with you on the soundstage. The soundstage of the MS1000 is one of the best as for headphones.

So it's hard to choose: do I want a higher resolution MS1000 or the HE-5? Hmmm.
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #1,212 of 2,483
(Much) more of the same, or something completely different...
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #1,214 of 2,483
I've been trying to read through some of this thread, but it's pretty massive. Where are the best places to get the parts I need for this mod?

Also, I love the look of some of those ones that have the wood pieces instead of just distancers + the default plastic. If I wanted to do that, where do I start? Sorry, I'm sure this has already been covered but after reading quite a few pages I wasn't finding very much concise information. Thanks for any help!

Oh one more thing, some of those headbands look amazingly comfortable. I looked into the jmoney ones I've seen mentioned, but is there another option? The jmoney ones don't look particularly comfortable to me, although maybe I'm wrong.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #1,215 of 2,483
All the parts needed and best places where you can find them is covered on the first page. About the distancers: myself and some others build them (I am out for the time being).

I recommend getting a Beyerdynamic DT770 headband. They are very cheap and super comfy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back