Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Jun 13, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #91 of 2,483
Sounds reasonable so far.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #92 of 2,483
I've just got the Dark Audio liberators... and I have two questions:

1. Are all the commercially made Dark Audio liberators made the same? Do they all fit every Grado/Alessandro model?

2. If the liberators can be used with my Alessandro MS Pro, would anybody show me how to do it? The diameter of the wood cups of my MS Pros on the thick side are the exact same length as the liberators themselves, and just a tiny bit smaller than the other side, so it will no slide in at all.

I'm really stuck on how to install this thing, let alone "take off the holders from the capsule" as the Dark Audio site says. Please help me before I break something
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #93 of 2,483
Nickchen, i just wanted to tell you your work fantastic...i wanted to know if you have some extra woody cups for SR60/SR80 (same diameter correct) you could send to the US.

I dont care what they are made of, dont care if the wood doesnt match (screen would be great if they matched). Payment will of course be in order =) Im looking for the cheapest possible, so maybe thought to ask first. Since they going on the SR60s, im trying to build a budget woody =)

I dont mind some knicks or maybe some sanding finishing work needed.

Let me know if thats possible.

Jun 19, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #94 of 2,483
Hey Assorted, Glad you got the libs okay.

I am not sure about your first question, but to remove the holders you just gently slide one part of the "C" out of the hole to the side and then the other side of the holder. Do it one side at a time gently so you don't crack your C clamp.

The libs go (with the thicker side) onto the plastic side closer to your driver. It should slip on easily. They were actually a little loose on my grados before hand. The site says that they should fit the rs-1 and rs-2 as well, so I imagine your ms pro should be okay as well. Anyway, then put the c clamps back on to the holes in the libs and you should be set.

hope that helps.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #95 of 2,483
Two cold showers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are all the commercially made Dark Audio liberators made the same? Do they all fit every Grado/Alessandro model?

As far as I am informed, they are all the same. They fit on SR60, SR 80, SR125, SR225, SR325, MS1, MS2i - but not on the MS Pro or the RS1, as these have a thicker diameter. Really sorry, but I doubt that you can use the Liberators.
frown.gif

Possible solutions: Organize or build yourself distancers, or cut the "distancer share" from the Liberators. Glue whatever you use, and if you want it reversable, use blue tac, silicone, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife
I wanted to know if you have some extra woody cups for SR60/SR80 (same diameter correct) you could send to the US. Since they going on the SR60s, im trying to build a budget woody =)

HighLife, I am able to build woody cups as to be seen on the pics, but problems remain the actual €/$ exchange rate of 1.54 and the immense costs (40ish €) for insured shipping. Therefore I doubt that I can offer you a budget solution right now.
frown.gif

Beware of too high expectations in respect of "sound improvements" anyway. I recognized next to nothing and have the suspicion that raving of woodying might often has to do with fanboyism or financial interests. Woodying is for the eyes and the ego only IMO (my ego is pretty content
tongue.gif
).

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #97 of 2,483
Wow, the altered shipping logistics aren't just cheaper, but also quicker by the factor of 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #99 of 2,483
Where did you dig these Liberators?

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #100 of 2,483
I too have the distancers with ms1 and awaiting the pads. Will give some impressions when it is all here.

I also have some recabled 325s which I could try this mod with no?

James

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #101 of 2,483
You can at least try it with the SR325, maybe by means of provisorical fixation of the distancers. But after what we've experienced with the MS2, I doubt that the result would be as coherent and impressive as with the MS1 or the MS Pro. The mod tends to increase the highs, and that isn't to be desired for a SR325 IMO.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #102 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can at least try it with the SR325, maybe by means of provisorical fixation of the distancers. But after what we've experienced with the MS2, I doubt that the result would be as coherent and impressive as with the MS1 or the MS Pro. The mod tends to increase the highs, and that isn't to be desired for a SR325 IMO.

Ah good point! I think I will just put it on the MS1s for now. The highs are what is really missing on these. I've had to stop listening to them because of the lack of detail in the highs (with flats at least).

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #103 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But wait, wasn't there speculation that the 325i used the same driver as the GS1000?

So if you put on the distancers and the big bowls, wouldn't they almost be the same headphone?

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #104 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinseljim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah good point! I think I will just put it on the MS1s for now. The highs are what is really missing on these. I've had to stop listening to them because of the lack of detail in the highs (with flats at least).

You should get bowl pads they will bring out the highs, don't they originally come with bowl pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back