Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
May 18, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #601 of 2,483
I found a nice sized piece of black velour fabric in my garage today when I was cleaning it out. No idea where it came from originally, but it very shear or transparent when opened and viewed towards light. I'm going to drop the $16 on an aerosol can of 3M's Super 77 contact adhesive and see how it goes! I'm hoping it doesn't change the sound signature at all, I hope it just takes away the sandpaper feel of the Grado pads.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. It works well enough, then I do a brand new set of RS-1 pads and listen again. If it's still positive, then I'll drop the $45 on a set of GS1K bowls and skin those after I have listened to the spacers on both 325s and RS-1s on the stock bowls.

May 18, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #602 of 2,483
I've just ordered a set of the GS1k jumbo's and when I 1000 (I like how that's become a verb) my ms1's in a fortnight or so, I'll have to be a comparison between the bowls and the sock mod. Just interested to see if there really is $70aud difference between the socks.

May 18, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #603 of 2,483
Awesome!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #604 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a nice sized piece of black velour fabric in my garage today when I was cleaning it out. No idea where it came from originally, but it very shear or transparent when opened and viewed towards light. I'm going to drop the $16 on an aerosol can of 3M's Super 77 contact adhesive and see how it goes! I'm hoping it doesn't change the sound signature at all, I hope it just takes away the sandpaper feel of the Grado pads.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. It works well enough, then I do a brand new set of RS-1 pads and listen again. If it's still positive, then I'll drop the $45 on a set of GS1K bowls and skin those after I have listened to the spacers on both 325s and RS-1s on the stock bowls.

That sandpaper feel of the Grado pads is gone after some tear and wear. Washing should help as well.

May 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #605 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sandpaper feel of the Grado pads is gone after some tear and wear. Washing should help as well.

Thanks. I've washed them, but their still not as comfy as i would like and one of tht goals of the velour mod is to make them last longer.

May 18, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #606 of 2,483
Oh okay, velour is nice and soft. Keep in mind that the sandpaper feeling is almost completely absent with the MS1000s as they don't rest on your ear.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #608 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously another case of quality spread. My MS2i had plenty of bass, almost a bit too much for my liking...
confused.gif

Really? I felt like the MS1000 had much more bass quantity than the MS2i (Stock bowl pads).

May 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #610 of 2,483
OK, so I have had my MS1 for about 3 weeks now, and I made some home-made distancers from a spray paint can lid(!) -- handy, cheap, and the diameter matched the MS1 cup perfectly with the comfy pads removed. So I cut them to about 1.25 inches / 3 cm depth, and then stretch the comfy pads just enough to fit over them (comfy pads have the "quarter"-mod center hole cut already). This gives them about .5 inch / 1.5 cm clearance from my ears to the driver covers, and I've had them like this about a week. I get a bit of drop in bass response, but a hair bit increase in sense of the soundstage.

So, last night I took the distancers off and put the comfy pads back to the stock position on the cups, and there was an immediate increase in bass response, and a return to the more immediate, intense sound that is Aless/Grado.

I had worried about the comfy pads when I bought the MS1, but I really do think they give a great sound response right on the ears.

Still toying with the idea of yellow HD414 reversed and center-cut AND possibly getting standard Grado bowls, just to make sure I find the best sound for me.

May 28, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #612 of 2,483
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody know if RDS is available to make any distancers? I've dropped him a PM or two, and he hasn't responded. Is he busy or is his inbox full? I'm really quite interested in making an MS1000. Big fan of tweaking headphones.

I think he had them for sale in the FS forum a day or so ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back