AKG Q701 vs. Sony's XB1000 - Which to splash out on?
Aug 11, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #62 of 73

Quote:
By the way how are you liking your new Turbine Coppers? Seems like a lot of the IEM guys on here are impressed with them.  

I wish they were Coppers - only the regular versions unfortunately! I'll might hold off now that there is an expected US release date for the 1000's as I'm sure there will be an influx of reviews and the likes once they hit the market.

They're just....so....big.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #63 of 73
How is the bass compared to your D7000?

I plan on trying that tomorrow but these headphones are no where near each others price points.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #64 of 73

Quote:
Import fee? News to me - I thought there was no customs on goods up to $700? My Turbines from Amazon I ordered came through fine, no charges or extras.

They're not big they're HUMONGOUS. Look at it this way if you don't like them you'll have a couple of funky leather bowls to eat your cereal out of in the morning ha ha
wink_face.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #66 of 73
You've got to have a better idea of what you want, otherwise just buy whatever.  They're too different for someone to tell you one is better than the other.  It depends on what you want. 

You are getting the same answers here as if you asked someone whether you should get a Mini Cooper or a Ford F150.  "It depends on what you're looking for"

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #67 of 73

Quote:
You've got to have a better idea of what you want, otherwise just buy whatever.  They're too different for someone to tell you one is better than the other.  It depends on what you want. 

You are getting the same answers here as if you asked someone whether you should get a Mini Cooper or a Ford F150.  "It depends on what you're looking for"

Agreed, maybe you should do a little more research into different cans. If you want something by AKG from what I understand the AKG K181DJ is a bass head can.

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #68 of 73
True I guess this thread can die, I'll have to wait for a few more reviews of the XB1000's to come in...in the mean time I'm hunting one of the firesale HP Touchpads now that the entire US population is looking for too :)

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #69 of 73
So how would the DJ1 Pro compare with the XB1000's? I'm curious since I have the DJ1 Pros right now paired with the E9/E7 and used to love my XB700's before I got the DJ1's. Considering getting the XB1000's when it comes out in the western world.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #70 of 73

Quote:
So how would the DJ1 Pro compare with the XB1000's? I'm curious since I have the DJ1 Pros right now paired with the E9/E7 and used to love my XB700's before I got the DJ1's. Considering getting the XB1000's when it comes out in the western world.

Sorry can't help you I've never heard the DJ1 nor do I know anything about them.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #71 of 73
Tried the XB-1000's in the Sony Store in Auckland here in NZ (finally have them here!) and was neither highly impressed , nor underwhelmed at the same time

The list price is $299NZ which is a good deal I think, but the stock standard store music wasn't great - I will need to go back with my own iPod/Amp and give them a whirl....now all i need is a Q701 stockist where I can try those out!

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #72 of 73
If you don't want to get the XB1000's, you can definitely settle for the XB700's if bass is your priority. When I first got the XB700's and listened to music straight out my iPod, I was unimpressed. I said to myself "Umm, where's the "extra bass" its supposed to have?" I was fairly new to headphones and did my research, figured out I needed to amp these headphones to get to its potential. Once my Fiio E11 came in, i tried them with it, and i was blown away. These things go LOUD and the bass extends very low, clearly audible even down to 30hz. I listen to a lot of hiphop with sub bass (30-60hz) and these are perfect for them. Since then I've been dying to get my hands on the XB1000's. Right now they have them on Amazon from the US for $279 but they're out of stock and they've been like that since mid august (when they first went up), so if your not sure about the extra $200, don't be afraid at all to go for the 500's. 

Sep 9, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #73 of 73
I just got the Mackie 402-VLZ3, which they claim can drive pretty much any headphone to ridiculous levels (early indications suggest this is true--wow).  They are really bringing the XB-1000 alive, which I am now even more convinced are quite amp dependent for good sound.  I suppose this shouldn't be a surprise with the 70mm drivers--any amp will push these to high volume, but more muscular amps seem to keep that massive driver jiggling through the busy passages and keep the upper end clear when it's also honking out the monstrous bass.

My point?  I wouldn't rely on whatever they are plugged into at a music store unless they have some serious hardware driving the headphones.  That said, you can probably do just as well moving to something else for what they are charging for these things.

They are pretty awesome, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back