AKG Q701 vs. Sony's XB1000 - Which to splash out on?
Jul 22, 2011 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

majiktripp

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Have some extra cash at the moment and am considering a new set of cans. I have been looking at both the Q701 / Sony XB 1000's for some time weighing both pro's and cons and trying to decide on which to go for.

I do like bass, doesn't have to be excessive but certainly there, lately a large amount of dubstep music is being listened too, and I'm worrying with the 701's that it might be lacking? Is this a valid concern?

With the XB's my concern's are the lack of reviews, I've read DJ Amtrax comparison review to the 700's and seen the unboxing video etc - but that seems to be it, no more available online as its not reached mainstream US/EU markets yet. Also the double cable, while flat is something that I think will annoy me as I'd much prefer a single cable entry point on one side.

My current cans / setup are:

Ultrasone DJ1 Pros - my main use headset and am pretty pleased with them, have got a lot of use and are paired with an Audiotrak imAmp (product details here) when being used.

Senn's PX200-ii's

And.... um....eh... unfortunately... Beats Studio's (we'll gloss over these and move on rather quickly....)

Anyways, any suggestions on which would be the better choice of the two? I'm leaning towards the Q701's but still intrigued by the Sony's, any help appreciated.

Thanks,
M.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 73
I don't wanna vote, I don't like them both for ya.

How about you upgrade you system with a new amp or source?

Or peudo-thunderpants a T50RP is you already have amp. Some good old modding will keep the itch away.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 73
If you don't call the bass on the XB1000 excessive, you might as well call every other headphones in existence as bass light. I guess if you wanted reasonable bass, XB1000 just not for you.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 73
What are you basing the statement that they'll be bass heavy on? I believe Amtrak said they had extended more subtle bass and weren't exactly as bad as the Beats Studio's. Is he the only person on Head-Fi who owns a pair? Anyone else who could throw up a review?

Still mulling it over, the $NZ dollar is very strong against the $US so buying from Amazon has become very attractive now.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 73
Nah it's just a lot more people here think they are bassier than what they really are. They are still bassheavy ofc (well sub-bass focused) but there's lots of headphones with stronger bass output. They just think ZOMG new Sony XB with 70mm drivers this must have EARTHQUAKE-like BASS while the reviews provided so far states they have the least amount of bass in the series.

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 73
Alright - so I have the Q701's and a pair of Monster Turbines ($93!) in my cart on Amazon ready to pull the trigger. Still have doubts about whether the Q701's will be what I'm looking for but they seem to be well liked, well reviewed and decent value for money ($239ish on Amazon) so I'll give it another while but it's looking like this might be the winning combo.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 73
These headphones couldn't possibly be more different, if you're seriously considering these 2 you should do more research.  One is completely analytical in nature and other is completely fun in nature.  Opposite extremes.  One is open one is closed.  About the only thing they have in common is they're both circumaural. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 73

Quote:
Alright - so I have the Q701's and a pair of Monster Turbines ($93!) in my cart on Amazon ready to pull the trigger. Still have doubts about whether the Q701's will be what I'm looking for but they seem to be well liked, well reviewed and decent value for money ($239ish on Amazon) so I'll give it another while but it's looking like this might be the winning combo.

Heya,

You're going to put Dub on 701's and wonder what the hell you just spent $239 for.

The 701's are pretty awful for electronic music, especially with a lot of crunchy low/mid bass usage like what you listen to. You should explore other headphones. 701's are great for listening to things that are not focusing on bass. If you want to hear beautiful highs/mids, it will do that. It's a good clear detailed headphone. But it's going to sound completely hallow and shallow for something like electronic music. It's just not right without some big strong bass.

Get yourself some Ultrasone Pro 900's?

Very best,

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 73
I own the K701 & XB1000.  They are very different headphones.  

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 73
popcorn.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 73
DjAmtrax, I've read your review and seen the unboxing video also, after having had the XB1000's for a while now do you still use them as often as you'd like? I see you've quite the collection, where do they sit in your rankings?

Your's in the only review I've seen around which leads me to believe not many people own / have heard these cans themselves but because they're Sony XBXXXXX they must be bass monsters etc... How you would directly compared them to the K701's? I know they lack bass but are they totally absent of it?

I listen to all and every kind of music, yes I like bass, but it doesn't have to be the sole reason for buying the headphones...

To the previous commenter about the Ultrasone 900's, would there be a massive difference between the DJ1 Pro's and the 900's? Was kind of hoping for a different set of cans from Ultrasone TBH, the S-Logic is a bit of a weird feature, like someone said before its as if the sound is going around your ear, and not directly into it, if you get me.

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 73
What are you basing the statement that they'll be bass heavy on? I believe Amtrak said they had extended more subtle bass and weren't exactly as bad as the Beats Studio's. Is he the only person on Head-Fi who owns a pair? Anyone else who could throw up a review?

Still mulling it over, the $NZ dollar is very strong against the $US so buying from Amazon has become very attractive now.

I heard them myself, I never make comments about one headphone without hearing it myself. The bass on the XB1000 is even MORE overwhelming than the Beats.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 73
don't get the Q/K701/2 if you ever want to hear dubstep!

Of all the AKG I have owned... I did not quite like the K701, great mids, but no body at all.
Nowadays I'm quite happy with my K240 Sextetts.

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 73
I don't find the XB1000 bass overpowering relative to other bass heavy cans. It certainly looks like it should output more bass than it does. It has less quantity IMO than it's little brothers the 700 and 500. It gives a sort of cloud of sub-bass that is very soft (lacking impact) rather than focussed bass with weight and punch.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #15 of 73
The XB1000 sounds acceptable with an iPod or Walkman, but will shin and come alive with a good amp.  The AKG K701 doesn't sound good without a good amp.  When I am in the mood for electronic music (Trance/House), the XB1000 is my go-to headphones.  I can't listen to that genre on any other headphones.  All others just doesn't allow me to feel the music.  The XB1000 is not fast or refined, but it does have a wide soundstage and night club like bass.  If you want a great all-around headphones, the XB1000 is not it.  The AKG is much more refined and can be a great headphones for most types of music, but you will need a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back