AKG new headphone K545?
Sep 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #32 of 1,753
  Shouldn't the smaller cups effect the sound?
There's no way they would sound exactly like the K550,am i wrong?

It's impossible that they'd sound exactly the same.
I think most of us are hoping they defy science and they sound even better.
But they probably don't have the same drivers and I'm sure Harman have found increasingly cheaper ways to produce these.

When they brought out the K550 they probably thought "the market wants a high fidelity closed back headphone, so let's actually invest some time and money into this and see what happens"
But now that the market has demanded portability the board meeting probably went something like "let's bring out a smaller version as quickly and cheaply as possible that sounds at least half as good - nobody will know"

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #33 of 1,753
It's impossible that they'd sound exactly the same.
I think most of us are hoping they defy science and they sound even better.
But they probably don't have the same drivers and I'm sure Harman have found increasingly cheaper ways to produce these.

When they brought out the K550 they probably thought "the market wants a high fidelity closed back headphone, so let's actually invest some time and money into this and see what happens"
But now that the market has demanded portability the board meeting probably went something like "let's bring out a smaller version as quickly and cheaply as possible that sounds at least half as good - nobody will know"

Do you work for AKG? XD your statement... Very legit!

After some thinking, I decided to forget about AKG K545 and look else where.. Because of the smaller earcups...

And that come to a conclusion:
AKG makes big closed headphones so that we all can use it outdoor as it isolates sound and provide the open airy high fidelity sound but we complained that AKG K550 is too big! "we need smaller earcups, detachable cable while remaining the build quality of the K550!" Then AKG announced a smaller version of AKG K550, the AKG K545.. Then we now fear that the sound will be "smaller"! I am guessing AKG will be like "This market... Not at all easy to satisfy!"

[just my thought, you don't have to agree]

Billson :)

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #34 of 1,753
Man, you guys are hella pessimistic about a headphone that's not even out yet.

I'll be looking out for it. If the sound signature is close to the K550 then I know what to replace my K550 just for the removable cables.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #35 of 1,753
  Man, you guys are hella pessimistic about a headphone that's not even out yet.

I'll be looking out for it. If the sound signature is close to the K550 then I know what to replace my K550 just for the removable cables.

Since the takeover by Harman, every headphone they released from flagship downwards has been disappointing in one way or another compared to the competition. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #37 of 1,753
  Hmm, I'm not too knowledgeable about the history of harman's involvement with AKG, but I do know that I'm a fan of the k551's sound so I guess I have more hope that this will turn out ok?

You're absolutely right - the K550/551 surprised most of us when it came out. A few of us had our reservations about some ringing in the upper-midrange, but overall it was good for what it was.
Sine the prices have dropped by about half since they came out, that makes them even more of a bargain today.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #41 of 1,753
What other headphones would you classify as "over ear".
To me, it's either around ear or on ear. Didn't think there was something in between.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #42 of 1,753
superaural....
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #43 of 1,753
I'm curious what this headphone will sound like. I couldn't find any hands-on impressiont yet on the net. Anybody here happen to have had a chance to give these a listen?

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #44 of 1,753
I'm curious what this headphone will sound like. I couldn't find any hands-on impressiont yet on the net. Anybody here happen to have had a chance to give these a listen?

CanJam is the answer! I think they will have one on demo xD

I think CNet did one quick hands-on on it. Like always, more like advertising haha

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #45 of 1,753
CanJam is the answer! I think they will have one on demo xD

I think CNet did one quick hands-on on it. Like always, more like advertising haha

CanJam doesn't appear to have AKG coming to show their headphones. And yeah, the CNET article is worthless, it's just an advertorial. They don't even give an impression of what it sounds like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back