AKG new headphone K545?
Oct 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #46 of 1,753
CanJam doesn't appear to have AKG coming to show their headphones. And yeah, the CNET article is worthless, it's just an advertorial. They don't even give an impression of what it sounds like. 

Whut... Then I guys we should look into those who attend the Berlin fair.. I remember there's one fair in Berlin where AKG had a demo unit for the new K545 on display... But I could be wrong

Billson :)

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #47 of 1,753
There is actually a first review published by the french website 01net. They actually says that these headphones are very comfortable but there is a lack of treble and bass‚ the sound is not enough warm‚ but to flat. http://www.01net.com/fiche-produit/prise-main-15350/casques-akg-k545/
However‚ I know this website and reviews are sometimes very fast written with a few details and reviewers are not very expert. Maybe he doesn't burn these headphones ? And zero details about the soundstage.

Oct 2, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #48 of 1,753
There is actually a first review published by the french website 01net. They actually says that these headphones are very comfortable but there is a lack of treble and bass‚ the sound is not enough warm‚ but to flat. http://www.01net.com/fiche-produit/prise-main-15350/casques-akg-k545/
However‚ I know this website and reviews are sometimes very fast written with a few details and reviewers are not very expert. Maybe he doesn't burn these headphones ? And zero details about the soundstage.

Or maybe the user is used to something like the M-100 which has big bass and highs?

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #50 of 1,753
So any word on release? Don't know whether to wait for this or just get a PSB M4U1 or Sony MDR-1R. I'm dying to buy a new pair of headphones...

Just FYI, I love the PSB M4U1 better than MDR-1R...

Tried searching on EBay for K545 but it's rather fruitless..

Billson :)

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #51 of 1,753
Quote:
So any word on release? Don't know whether to wait for this or just get a PSB M4U1 or Sony MDR-1R. I'm dying to buy a new pair of headphones..

Just FYI, I love the PSB M4U1 better than MDR-1R...
Tried searching on EBay for K545 but it's rather fruitless..
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Also FYI - the PSB M4U1 looks ridiculous when worn. Sony looks great. But if looks don't matter get the PSB - technically better headphone. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #52 of 1,753
  Since the takeover by Harman, every headphone they released from flagship downwards has been disappointing in one way or another compared to the competition. 

Really?

The Q701 (and K702) seems to be enjoyed by many Headfiers.

The K550 is one of the best closed headphones out there.   I love my pair.  Tyll put them up on the Wall of Fame for a while.

The K3003, while perhaps overpriced,  is one of the best universal IEMs.

The K702 Annie is a very good headphone.   The new K712 is seems to be a hit - some members are comparing (and preferring them)  to higher priced cans from the competition.

I'm very excited about the K812. 

I think the Harman\AKG hate is silly.  Lately, AKG models have been very competitive.   They might have disappointed you...but I'm a happy camper. 

All the manufacturers can disappoint in one way or another...compared to the competition. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #53 of 1,753

I think the Harman\AKG hate is silly.  Lately, AKG models have been very competitive.   They might have disappointed you...but I'm a happy camper. 

Good for you. No sarcasm intended.
I don't hate them, I just want them to do better.

K550 was dethroned from the wall of fame very quickly because of it's size and technical inferiority to the newer closed-portable cans. 
But still has the best soundstage of them all.

K3003 - you said it yourself - overpriced. 

K812 - most of us are excited, but nobody is holding their breath. I'm sure you've seen many of the snide expectant comments already - but most of us really hope it will be something special.

I think most of the disappointment is driven by prior hype and expectation, but the truth is AKG have been offering exceptional value for money for a long time, and still do.

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #54 of 1,753
  K550 was dethroned from the wall of fame very quickly because of it's size and technical inferiority to the newer closed-portable cans. 
But still has the best soundstage of them all.

What does that have anything to do with AKG disappointing customers.  Newer models are always being released.  I hope DT880\990 and HD650\600 owners were not disappointed when the T1 and the HD800 were released?

K3003 - you said it yourself - overpriced.  

Based on the cost of the previous generation of headphones, the HD800 and the T1 are also overpriced.    Yeah, sure, I was disappointed when I found out how Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic priced their top of the line headphones back in 2010.

K812 - most of us are excited, but nobody is holding their breath. I'm sure you've seen many of the snide expectant comments already - but most of us really hope it will be something special.  

Most of the snide comments are from people who are stuck in the past.  AKG has not been disappointing lately. 

Harman\AKG did not release anything valuable for a wile, but I think (I hope) they've gotten their act together.  

Oct 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #57 of 1,753
  Also FYI - the PSB M4U1 looks ridiculous when worn.

Who cares? They sound great.

AKG have always done some of the more natural sounding cans...no complaints here.

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #59 of 1,753
Quote:
Quote:
Also FYI - the PSB M4U1 looks ridiculous when worn.

Who cares? They sound great.

Not denying that, but there are fashion conscious members of headfi - how they can afford that AND be an audiophile is beyond my comprehension.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #60 of 1,753
AKG K545 tested in Swedish magazine "Hifi & Musik".

Compared to AKG K551 very similiar soundwise but:
- Less weight 
- Smaller earcups
- Thinner earpads
- Smaller headband gives tighter and better fit for on the move
- More portable
- A bit more bass
- Smaller soundstage with less depth

They really liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back