AKG k702 VS Sennheiser HD650: which would work better for my taste?
Jul 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:
The 701 and 702 are easy to tell apart - the 701 are only available in white, and the 702 are that blue/black color with the removable cord.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't know if the 702s are serialized, but the 701s are - lower is older (mine was in the low 30,000s, and I bought them in mid-2008, they came out in 2006). The gentleman who bought them had no issues with them either - wish he posted more, he owns like 3-4 pairs of K701 and could probably illuminate this discussion a lot better than most of us.
I just remember hearing something about AKG shifting their factory to China in the last year or two, to combat rising costs, and I would suspect that means new tooling and new assembly lines, that could lead to some variation in the finished product. That's why I bought it up. Could be wrong though.
redface.gif

The weirder variation is that I've seen 701s and 702s measured for CSD and they can have different waterfall plots - some have a treble ridge, some don't. I'm not sure what to make of it. Here's an example:
http://en.goldenears.net/4138
http://en.goldenears.net/8281
Those are supposed to be "absolutely identical except for the color of the plastic" -
rolleyes.gif

So then the next question is - are we certain that all three colors of the Q701 are even the same?
The whole thing makes me curious as to what I'd get if I walked into a shop and bought a new AKG 700 series today...

Then the guy I met at the Head Fi meet had K701  - they were white!

This is more mysterious than Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance!

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #47 of 71
What about Q701? They are perfect for jazz, although not AS detailed as K701, and not with such large soundstage, still remaining most of those attributes of K701. They are better overall headphones, and have nicer basses and lows. For you music preference, I would say, Q701 would be ideal, but... dunno if you can get them such cheap as K701.

Btw, one thing for K701... I've just discovered, that boosting the lows on equalizer a little bit, really helps these headphones in most of recordings (not all)... but maybe thanks to NFB12 I have, which is really nice in basses and can handly it.
For me, K701 + boosted lows in equalizer, sounds really awesome.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #48 of 71
I've owned both and love my Jazz and classical. Both are great phones so I know you won't be dissapointed with either. Having said that, I'd say the K702's are just a little better for Jazz and acoustic music in general. The 650's can be a little too laid-back in comparision, unless you install a generator to power them from the veil.. If you were after a more all-rounder then the 650's all the way.

Since you are playing vinyl and using tubes, the K's should sound very nice indeed. Although vinyl and the heed can amp will sound even better!

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #49 of 71
They are just completely different sounding, get both & be doubly happy
smile.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #51 of 71
K701
pro
-cheaper
-great soundstage

contra
-lacking weight 
-not even close to neutral
-unnatural upper mids
-exhausting treble
-needs a tube amp to shine
-bumps on the headband
-bumps on the headband
-bumps on the headband
-bumps on the headband

HD650
pro
-overall good frequency response (nothing to complain here)
-enough body for almost anybody, but still open
-good on SS and tubes

contra
-expensive (compared to the K701)
-cheaper build quality (headband cracks)
-less soundstage (compared to the K701)
-if used frequently, the headphone's "plugs" wear out

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #52 of 71
I do have a 702 with a Littledot MKIII. I can honestly say that is a GREAT combo.

I have a pair of of 600 ohm Senn HD540 and an AKG Sextett. Both are very hungry and the MKIII drives them with plenty to spare; 32 ohm Grados as well.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #53 of 71
Quote:
K701
pro
-cheaper
-great soundstage

contra
-lacking weight 
-not even close to neutral
-unnatural upper mids
-exhausting treble
-needs a tube amp to shine
-bumps on the headband
-bumps on the headband
-bumps on the headband
-bumps on the headband

HD650
pro
-overall good frequency response (nothing to complain here)
-enough body for almost anybody, but still open
-good on SS and tubes

contra
-expensive (compared to the K701)
-cheaper build quality (headband cracks)
-less soundstage (compared to the K701)
-if used frequently, the headphone's "plugs" wear out

LOL!

My personal experience is quite different:
The K70x and Q701 family are very comfortable
The HD650 are like wearing a head clamp
The Ks and Qs have a great presence and a smooth low end
The HD650 are dark, dark , dark, way too dark for my taste, where is the treble?

Anyway, to me, the truth of it is:

ya gotta try these 'phones out yourself to see if they are the 'phones for you......caveat emptor.

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #55 of 71
I want to step in and note that I think it is cool that people regard both of these phones as generally equal in greatness. I have labored over which of these to try out first. I personally have the K702 65th Anniversary on order and am curious to see how they compare to my Symphones Magnums. I have never heard either of these headphones before and personally find the aesthetics of the K702 to be much better than all of the Sennheisers. I will report in a few days when they come in with how they handle various genres.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #56 of 71
I also not sure why people said the HD650 is veil or slow, I just got a HD650 and coming from Grados and listening to the 325i/MS2i for long time I never find HD650 dark even the first time I put them on my head.

One thing I want to say is, our brain actually tune our music sense automatically. The brain got use to the sound signature and settle down until we switch headphone and suddenly they make a hugh differences. Maybe that is what burn-in some people call... burn in the equipment and also our brain. A lay back headphone will soon feel OK after listening for a while. I think many of these high-end headphone are all good, although they might sound different. Anyway, no single headphone sound good on all music and there is also good and bad music. The better the headphone, the bigger differences they will sound with different music. Then there is also other equipment, are we listening to the headphone, the amp, the DAC, the DAP and do they all contribute to all the different opinion here? Sure yes.

There is also something I don't quite understand. I do heard differences using different cable when I was active in my room Hi-Fi system. What is the magic behind cable? Of course I understand signal distortion but most end of the plug are terminated with cheap solder/plug which I am sure is probably lesser a material for electrical signal than common OFC copper. What I am saying is that I believe in cable differences because I can hear it but don't quite understand the plug/solder that join these cable. Since they are not as high grade, any cable that is higher grade than the plug material and the solder is good enough?

Other than sound, I think other area like comfort, price also contribute significant to our headphone choice. What is great for a headphone is they are so uncomfortable for me to wear not more than 10mins even if they sound heavenly?

Get opinion from Head-fier, shortlist your own list use the equipment you going to use and audit the equipment yourself. Pick what best for you, no one have the same ears/source and music taste gel together.

Sit down, relax and focus on the music :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #57 of 71
Quote:
I also not sure why people said the HD650 is veil or slow, I just got a HD650 and coming from Grados and listening to the 325i/MS2i for long time I never find HD650 dark even the first time I put them on my head.

I would say this is the exception. I also have both and I find the HD650 darker in presentation than the Grado. This is consistent on the most part from other owner's experiences on the net.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

There is also something I don't quite understand. I do heard differences using different cable when I was active in my room Hi-Fi system. What is the magic behind cable? Of course I understand signal distortion but most end of the plug are terminated with cheap solder/plug which I am sure is probably lesser a material for electrical signal than common OFC copper. What I am saying is that I believe in cable differences because I can hear it but don't quite understand the plug/solder that join these cable. Since they are not as high grade, any cable that is higher grade than the plug material and the solder is good enough?

You must be careful with this logic, as the townspeople may soon emerge with their torches and pitchforks! Kidding aside, I have wondered this myself. One thing that get's me too is how the new expensive cables almost always make the sound not just different, but "better." *Shrug* I personally like aftermarket cables for their aesthetic value, anything other than that is a bonus.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #59 of 71
I have some Sennheiser earbuds and I do like them so naturally when I wanted a headphone I read reviews and narrowed down the HD-25II. I went ahead with the audition and instantly I wasn't impress at all. I then saw a Grado SR-125 on the shelve and pick it up to try them I came out wanting a Grado.

I did purchase a PX-200ii to me they do sounds like little brother of HD-25ii and good for commute use. I wanting to purchase the Alessandro MS-Pro to complete my range but I came upon the HD650 for $165 and too good to pass. I also know the reputation of HD650 so I went ahead. I am very happy with it and yes, I am also curious about the Q/K701/2 they have good (and bad) reputation too. Being said, I am still in the quest for the MS-Pro.

So you see, you got to really listen to them and pick them yourself.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

I would say this is the exception. I also have both and I find the HD650 darker in presentation than the Grado. This is consistent on the most part from other owner's experiences on the net.

Sure yes, Grado is king. Sparkling high and forceful mid, the way I like it. HD650 is no competition but to me they are not veil, they are like smooth beer :)
Grado is Vodka!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back