AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
May 1, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2,446 of 3,395
:eek:

FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!

Either that or a LOT of replacements. :D

May 2, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #2,447 of 3,395
Every time statements in a forum might lead someone to believe that a thing costing around $350  bests a similar thing costing about 5 times as much a quick reality check is in order, i.e. a process along these lines:

Do I have (and want to spend) the higher amount?
If Yes: get both and compare myself. Then decide: the cheaper one might still fit my taste / environment / etc. better.
If No: buy the cheaper one and be content with that (its probably very good within its price range while not really besting the pricier thing)

The cheaper thing besting the pricier one in all aspects is a rather rare thing to happen... but its not a necessary precondition to enjoying the cheaper thing (especially considering the point of diminishing returns).

Overall I like the AE very much, sometimes preferring it to my T5p (the best headphone I've personally heard and owned, so no comparison to HD800 et. al. as I don't know those flagship cans), sometimes preferring the T5p. Or, for some good fun, the M-100.

Disappointment due to hype is IMO often the frantic search for a steal (i.e. a cheap thing being better than the recognized best in their respective field). While this may indeed happen its obviously not the norm... So No: I don't think anyone vocally liking their currently new headphone is to blame for unrealistic claims / expectations of the reader of such enthusiastic reports clashing with reality...

May 2, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,448 of 3,395
Quote:
Got my new Anniversaries (replacement pair) in today.

I immediately tested them for driver rattle and they appear to work flawlessly (Thank Gawd).  Nice and smooth with no buzz or rattle. 

I've been without full-sized headphones for exactly a month.  It's been tough. 
tongue.gif

I'm seriously glad to have them back at last.

Interestingly, the serial number on the new pair is #3621.  I guess they made more than 3000...  0_0

*facepalm*
I don't think the 3000 number was ever posted on the AKG website, it was just something Hifiguy learned from his insider sources.

May 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2,450 of 3,395
Quote:
*facepalm*
I don't think the 3000 number was ever posted on the AKG website, it was just something Hifiguy learned from his insider sources.

Serial numbers don't have to be sequential and they don't have to all be valid. They just have to be unique (trust me on this, I work with unique identifiers every day). If AKG claimed only 3000 valid copies were created somewhere, then only 3000 valid copies were manufactured.

500th post! Go me!

May 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #2,452 of 3,395
May 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,453 of 3,395
May 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,454 of 3,395
I think the main reason they're limited is because they weren't ever a "Limited Edition K702." 
What they technically really are is a Limited Edition K712.  

They were a way for AKG to debut and test out the new headband and pad design with a special edition headphone (at a special edition price).  AKG always planned to roll the updates into a standard K7xx model (aka not a "LE", "AE", etc.), and in this case it's the "K712" that will be picking up the changes.

I said all this back in February in a PM with Mad Lust Envy (minus the "K712" part).

May 3, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #2,456 of 3,395
Quote:
Me too. 
smile.gif
 So far, only found Tone Audio's review from issue 51 that states the 3000 number.  Page 212 - http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_051.pdf

Yeah and that was written by Hifiguy so it all comes to his AKG inside source. If there is indeed more than 3000 copies released I feel really angry. I mean the K712 comes with all extra stuff that should have shipped with anniversary edition. What did we prototype testers get? Sticker and a booklet. AKG you can stick that sticker up into your ***.

May 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,457 of 3,395
Quote:

Yeah and that was written by Hifiguy so it all comes to his AKG inside source. If there is indeed more than 3000 copies released I feel really angry. I mean the K712 comes with all extra stuff that should have shipped with anniversary edition. What did we prototype testers get? Sticker and a booklet. AKG you can stick that sticker up into your ***.

I don't care what comes in the box as long as the headphones are well built and do not come damaged.  That is what is important.

May 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,458 of 3,395
Quote:
I don't care what comes in the box as long as the headphones are well built and do not come damaged.  That is what is important.

I'll have to entirely disagree with this blanket statement. Although most of the time that is true, in this case it isn't. I don't have many critical things to say about the Annie, but if you are going to produce something that purposely celebrates an anniversary and you claim it to be a limited edition, I expect more than just a sticker and "book" which is really just a piece of paper. Change the box design maybe. Provide unique items like a real paperback book or at least the stand that was included in older K701 models. I mean this is an important and impressive can. Celebrate it, AKG.

May 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,459 of 3,395
Quote:

I'll have to entirely disagree with this blanket statement. Although most of the time that is true, in this case it isn't. I don't have many critical things to say about the Annie, but if you are going to produce something that purposely celebrates an anniversary and you claim it to be a limited edition, I expect more than just a sticker and "book" which is really just a piece of paper. Change the box design maybe. Provide unique items like a real paperback book or at least the stand that was included in older K701 models. I mean this is an important and impressive can. Celebrate it, AKG.

Yeah, paying 500+USD for an ANNIVERSARY product, one would expect something better than the same 10 years old x70x headphone with slightly polished pads... and a sticker, of course!

May 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,460 of 3,395
oh boy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back