AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,146 of 3,395
I just love my 702 annies. Just got them and WoW. I know this has been covered but whats the last word on an amp. Between woo audio 6, burson ha160 and volectric v200? My amp and dac right now is the yulong d100. I need something with more ooomph!

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #2,147 of 3,395
It gets very hard if left in the cold. It softens when it gets warm. Memory foam, that is.

:wink:

Apr 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,148 of 3,395
Can anyone make a consensus of HE-400 vs the 65th K702? Mainly bass-wise (possibly compare to Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads too). Just made my consensus that I think I like the HE-400 more than the Mad Dogs due to the HE-400s sounding more airy, larger soundstage, and more full overall. Mad Dogs sound a bit congested / has a vacuum feeling ( HE-400s sound absolutely amazing with Hans Zimmer - Time, the Inception soundtrack). The issue I do find with the HE-400 is the vocal problem which apparently the K702 65th is better with, though lack of bass scares me. And the HE-400's treble is always a problem to me (I fatigue easily). I think I asked this same question in this thread but didn't get many answers; though I could be just thinking that because I can't find it.

I'm amping with a Xonar DG > E9 btw. Going to upgrade to M&M I don't know when. Possibly Xonar DG > Asgard 2 instead.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,149 of 3,395
The consensus is there will never be a consensus..
biggrin.gif

The Annies don't lack bass.  

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #2,150 of 3,395
The Annie has plenty of bass. It's very well balanced, and is has more bass presence than the Mad Dogs w/alpha pads. It doesn't go as low as the HE400, but it does go low, and it's mid bass can hit hard. I was kind of disappointed with the MD's bass. Not so with the Annie.

If you want a basshead can, the Annie isn't it. The Annie to me is more accurate and engaging than the Mad Dogs, and when a song has bass, the Annie does it well.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,151 of 3,395
Quote:
The Annie has plenty of bass. It's very well balanced, and is has more bass presence than the Mad Dogs w/alpha pads. It doesn't go as low as the HE400, but it does go low, and it's mid bass can hit hard. I was kind of disappointed with the MD's bass. Not so with the Annie.

If you want a basshead can, the Annie isn't it. The Annie to me is more accurate and engaging than the Mad Dogs, and when a song has bass, the Annie does it well.

That is interesting.. I'm very satisfied with the Mad Dog's bass. HE-400 more-so for obvious reasons, but I don't really feel like the Mad Dog's are lacking (except in like Hans Zimmer - Time as it isn't so.. full sounding as the HE-400s. Doesn't feel like the euphoria of being in the movie theaters unlike the HE-400s).

Is there a frequency response graph of the Annies by any chance? Would like to get a general idea.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,152 of 3,395
I sent my anniversaries off to AKG today to see about fixing that little rattle...

...It could take up to a month for them to return.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #2,154 of 3,395
Quote:
That sucks, man. I would go crazy if my pair had a rattle.

I didn't even know it had one until I compared it to Prepoman's listening to bass frequency sweeps.  So it's pretty minor and you almost never notice it during normal use.

But just knowing that it IS there, on my limited edition $400 headphones, bugs the hell out of me. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,156 of 3,395
Quote:
Can someone do me a favor and tell me if they hear a weird rumbling static noise in the right ear,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbRpObZFGQ&t=0m41s

listen for about 15 seconds (some of you may have to up the volume), my DT990 & HD650 do not have this might be the frequency

Anybody have any experience with AKG warranty services?

I think it's time to send my AKGs to get the right driver rattle fixed, but I noticed on warranty info page they say, "This warranty is valid for the original purchaser as the final user only."

I'm just wondering if they're going to grief me over that ^. 
I'm the second owner.  I've got copies of the receipt, but they've got the previous owners name on it.  Do you think they will try and use that as an excuse to back out of repairing them? 

Maybe I should just sign as the first owner to avoid that potential mess...

What do you think?

confused.gif

Seems like we had a similar issue. I sent mine back to BH and did not get another pair.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #2,157 of 3,395
Quote:
I wore them all day and they sounded the same.

I swear that they sound better after a half hour. Must be that for me they get warmer and compress more. There is zero clamp for me at all.

I'm loving the 65th pads on the K400 though. I guess in the end they were worth the $73 just for that. The K400 stock is kind of annoying for me.
The upper mids are too forward and there's not enough bass.

I think the upper mids of the 65th are a reduced a tad over the Q701 but I will eventually figure out all the differences in about a year. I guess for those that want more neutral upper mids the 65th is the way to go.

I think all of you get a larger benefit due to more clamp.

Oh and what's funny is that the 65th is fatiguing with recordings that have too forward of low mids (rarely) and the Q701 can be slightly fatiguing with recordings that have lots of harsh upper mids/treble IN the recording. I never experienced such weirdness before.

These issues rarely show up though...

Also..it seems easier to pick out the lower bitrate recordings with the 65th. Not sure why but I have my ideas..I think it's due to less treble and non-angled pads. I also noticed this once when I tried putting the flat K601 pads on my Q701.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #2,159 of 3,395
When I put the K702 65th Annies on my head, I make sure not to just throw them on, but to get the headband level with the specific spot on the crown of my head, then position each earpad perfectly.  This sounds insane, but I've noticed that the bass volume, soundstage, center volume, and 'airyness' are significantly affected by the position of the earpads, particularly on these cans.

Very comfortable, lightweight, with a smooth, detailed, and extended sound.  Love them.  Actually not really since they (and the TEAC UD-501 D/A converter) made me spend more money since I heard how awful the pickups on my electric guitar sound.  Probably need a better A/D converter too, maybe Lavry AD11, or just save and get a Lynx Hilo and a good instrument DI.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #2,160 of 3,395
Quote:
When I put the K702 65th Annies on my head, I make sure not to just throw them on, but to get the headband level with the specific spot on the crown of my head, then position each earpad perfectly.  This sounds insane, but I've noticed that the bass volume, soundstage, center volume, and 'airyness' are significantly affected by the position of the earpads, particularly on these cans.

Very comfortable, lightweight, with a smooth, detailed, and extended sound.  Love them.  Actually not really since they (and the TEAC UD-501 D/A converter) made me spend more money since I heard how awful the pickups on my electric guitar sound.  Probably need a better A/D converter too, maybe Lavry AD11, or just save and get a Lynx Hilo and a good instrument DI.

That's no coincidence lol. When I had mine I had to get them in the perfect position as well... the sound changed drastically if they weren't on right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back