AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #1,996 of 3,395
My bad, I forgot to quote the last part of that other post. I can see why you thought different. Lol. Silly me.

I dunno, hearing the HD650 right now, I feel the Annies are quite similar, though I do feel the Annie has better bass extension overall. The HD650's bass rolls off quite quickly here. I can tell just by comparing it to the LCD2. The Annie could hold its own. The HD650 can't quite keep up tbe same.

Again, I do feel the HD650's treble is just fine. Dunno why people think it's too rolled off. Everything sounds quite clear. In fact, I wouldn't mind even more smoothness for more warmth.

And I dont disagree with you on the bass. I still find the HD650 quite natural and well balanced. I don't feel the bass is very emphasized at all. It sounds natural, aside from the sub bass roll off.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #1,997 of 3,395
Quote:
My bad, I forgot to quote the last part of that other post. I can see why you thought different. Lol. Silly me.

I dunno, hearing the HD650 right now, I feel the Annies are quite similar, though I do feel the Annie has better bass extension overall. The HD650's bass rolls off quite quickly here. I can tell just by comparing it to the LCD2. The Annie could hold its own. The HD650 can't quite keep up tbe same.

Again, I do feel the HD650's treble is just fine. Dunno why people think it's too rolled off. Everything sounds quite clear. In fact, I wouldn't mind even more smoothness for more warmth.

And I dont disagree with you on the bass. I still find the HD650 quite natural and well balanced. I don't feel the bass is very emphasized at all. It sounds natural, aside from the sub bass roll off.

There's another site with two slightly different HD-650 graphs. One shows more extended low bass, but the low bass has more distortion. I think I have that pair. This one also seems to have no recessed upper mids at all really. Treble is perfectly OK, but only since I have the Q701. The last 2 650s were dark for sure. This one I could never call dark.

I compared the Q701 stock to the HD-650 last night in gaming and really low rumbling sub-bass was a little bit more present on the HD-650. It was kind of pathetic on the Q701. Strangely enough my KRK KNS-6400 and 8400 have some of the best low bass that's neutral, but it's called bass light to almost everyone. The 6400 has like no warmth really. The 8400 has some at least.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #1,998 of 3,395
Lol now I really start to wonder how they sound. It's a shame I can't audition any AKG's anywhere here in the netherlands.
Can't anybody lend them to me for a while? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,999 of 3,395
Do you all agree that the K702 65th Annies are the most 'neutral' AKG headphones of the 700-series?
By neutral, I mean that the bass, midrange, and treble are at equal volume levels.

What would be the epitome of neutral in a pair of headphones?

It seems that younger people may believe that more bass and more treble makes a headphone more 'neutral'.  I guess that's what the modern consumer wants.  Just listen to the sound systems that auto manufacturers are installing as stock in their cars, but that may also be to combat road and tire noise.

When I was in my early 20s I had a show truck and built a system with 1x15", 2x12", 2x8", 2x6x9", 2x6.5", and 2x1" tweeters with over 1000 watts pf power.  That to me sounded 'good'.  I'm older now and would prefer a traditional neutral sound.  Surprisingly, my hearing is still well-above average.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,000 of 3,395
I do. The Annie's has the most balance out of the 70x to me. The bass finally meets the mids, though treble is slightly south of neutral. The others had bass south of neutral (except certain areas of midbass), but a slight upper mids peak.

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2,001 of 3,395
Long time reader first time writer...lol

Forgive me if someone wrote this before and I missed it but....

In terms of Quality, Cost, and Performance... what do you guys think will be best matched to my expected arrival of a recently purchased Woo Audio WA7 out of these three:
  • AKG's Annie's= good looks, $500 range
  • Denon AH-D600's= good looks, >$500 range
  • [size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD 650's= Heavily Praised on this site, >$500 range[/size]

Thanks Guys,
Audio11a

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #2,002 of 3,395
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW does the 65th itself have any foam behind the outer grill? You'd think so..

Nope.

Well, it's been confirmed (by two people) that the Q701 with Anniversary pads sounds identical to the actual Anniversary Edition. I haven't heard the Anniversary Edition with my own ears though.

Oh and I just know that when I install the 65th pads on my Q701 and remove the outer grill or it's foam the warmth goes out the window. So even installing a K702 grill wouldn't help.

I think your over obsessing about the outer foam.  I've said this many times already, but I removed it from the Q701s when comparing against the old K702 and I didn't hear any differences in the sound (*Cough* placebo)

The Q701 still had a major warmth/bass boost over the K702 with or without the foam, and it didn't sound any warmer with or without the foam.

There REALLY has to be some internal differences between the Annie and Q701..

I'm doubtful...at least that there are any intentional differences.

BTW I'm selling my 65th pads with 5 hours of use. About $13 less than what I paid. If you want them it's in the classifieds. Don't like the sound of them at all on my Q701. Should sound better on the K702 or K701 I'd imagine (not tested).

I think you should wait and give them more time.  I think you're already adjusting to them a little
very_evil_smiley.gif

I would try listening to the Anniversary pads for a while then switch back.  Do some gaming with the Anniversary for a while and then switch back to the Q701s.

I need to test these pads more, but I think it's safe to say they aren't a good match for my preferences. I mean they aren't that bad.

See what I mean?
wink.gif

DIT: Oh yeah.. I think one could mod the Q701 with Annie pads to make it even better. I was thinking replacing the outer foam with a different material. Sounds pretty bad with no foam installed. I never heard that with the Q701 stock pads from what I recall.

I now have the outer foam removed behind the grill on the q701 with 65th pads. I need to leave that off for a longer period of time and see if the loss of warmth was just my brain playing tricks on me. It was very apparent for one song. Right now it just sounds harsher and more fatiguing.

There should be no reason the Q701 with 65th pads should lose warmth with the foam removed since the real Anniversary has no outer grill foam at all!

Bingo^

Man, you are obsessed with that outer foam, which is probably changing the sound 1%.
tongue_smile.gif

You are saying without the foam the warmth is sucked out.  Why do the anniversaries sound nearly identical to the Q701s when they don't have that foam?  Nothing is getting sucked out.

I think your making a big deal out of something that is changing the sound in a VERY small way.

Someday i'd still like to try the Anniversary. Who knows, maybe i'll be one of those people who find it much better than the Q701 with 65th pads.

I think you just did.

I don't know where all this "The Anniversaries really ARE different from the Q701" stuff is suddenly coming from.  

Several people have compared them now and found them to sound basically identical apart from the pads. 
Why start spreading it around that they are different, after all the work we went through!!
angry_face.gif

There is already enough confusion around the AKG headphones - no need to unnecessarily add more!

Quote:
We have a meet here in Ohio in a few weeks.  I would like to confirm this with Chico.  I say no way,..  We'll see.

Yep. (Link in my sig BTW)

There's going to be TWO K702 anniversaries, plus I think Axel Cloris will be there with his Q701s, plus I have a set of extra Q701 pads.  There will even be a set of K701s. 
That means either headphone can be loaded up with either set of pads and quickly A-Bed.

Will that be enough to convince people? 

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #2,003 of 3,395
Quote:
Long time reader first time writer...lol

Forgive me if someone wrote this before and I missed it but....

In terms of Quality, Cost, and Performance... what do you guys think will be best matched to my expected arrival of a recently purchased Woo Audio WA7 out of these three:
  • AKG's Annie's= good looks, $500 range
  • Denon AH-D600's= good looks, >$500 range
  • [size=1.7em] Sennheiser HD 650's= Heavily Praised on this site, >$500 range[/size]

Thanks Guys,
Audio11a

Hey there! Welcome to head-fi! Glad to see you posting.

I won't jump into the HD650 vs AKG K702 debate, but I'd easily suggest you stay away from the Denon D600. They are awful sounding for their asking price. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #2,004 of 3,395
If there's anything I need to add, is that I miss my Annies. Just saying...

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #2,005 of 3,395
Mar 20, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2,006 of 3,395
Mar 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #2,007 of 3,395
Well, I couldn't wait, done deal then, I've been leaning towards the Annie's and just did it.
I can get a pair of 650's later since they are not a limited production run. However if they do make some I think I'll have to jump on those too!

Thanks Guys

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #2,008 of 3,395
Quote:
Well, I couldn't wait, done deal then, I've been leaning towards the Annie's and just did it.
I can get a pair of 650's later since they are not a limited production run. However if they do make some I think I'll have to jump on those too!

Thanks Guys

May I ask what kind of music you listen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back