AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #2,026 of 3,395
Quote:

I'm not sure, but mine is actually doing the same.

I compared my anniversaries to Prepoman's and I could hear that my pair had a minor rattle in the right driver, that's only noticeable with strong sustained bass.  I tried removing the grills, blasting it with an bulb blower, etc. but it still does it and it seems uniform, not sporadic or random so I think it is something with the driver itself.

It's so minor that's almost undetectable with normal music, but it bothers me that it's there so I will have to send them off for fixing.

frown.gif

I'll guess the contrary to others, and say that the issue you are experiencing is an intrinsic flaw of the AKG line.

As shown by various measurements and review impressions I've read, they (drivers of K701/2 Q701 and ann edition ofc) are known to have very poor power-handling capabilities compared to equivalent headphones of other brands, especially in the bass region. THD in  the lower end goes out of wack with a higher vol.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2,027 of 3,395
Quote:
Too expensive headphones to stand even those annoying small faults.

My thoughts as well.

Quote:
I'll guess the contrary to others, and say that the issue you are experiencing is an intrinsic flaw of the AKG line.

As shown by various measurements and review impressions I've read, they (drivers of K701/2 Q701 and ann edition ofc) are known to have very poor power-handling capabilities compared to equivalent headphones of other brands, especially in the bass region. THD in  the lower end goes out of wack with a higher vol.

I'm talking about a physical rattle, not distortion.

All I know is the Prepoman's anniversaries weren't doing it, and my LEFT driver isn't doing it either.  Just the right driver.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2,028 of 3,395
Yeah, I sure as hell didnt have any issues with the bass. Sounds like a defect. I'd replace it. Im sensitive to driver rattle, and it would make me go crazy if mine had it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #2,029 of 3,395
There's another guy in the Q701 thread that is having the rattling issue as well.

Quote:
I got my Q701's from amazon back in Nov, Last month i started to notice a slight rattle that became harder to ignore, specific bass tones started making my right ear rattle very badly (for example the bass when you click in the age of empires 2 menu) it was to hard to ignore so i told amazon and they quickly sent me another pair without any hassle i was so impressed with their service. I've now got my new pair but this time it only took a few days to notice the rattle developing only this time it's the left cup. It's as bad if not worse than the first pair :frowning2:

Quote:
I'm giving up on my Q701s. The rattling on my first pair was really bad and amazon was quick smart to send me a replacement pair that started doing the exact same rattle only on the opposite driver. So now i'm left trying to decide what i should get instead. @__________@

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #2,030 of 3,395
Quote:

May I ask what kind of music you listen?

Alternative, Indie Rock, Classic Rock, Movie Soundtracks, Golden Age Hip-Hop...
Top artist I listen to are Wilco, Clint Mansell, CCR, Nas, Wu-Tang, Cash, Led Zed, Hendrix, Interpol, The Strokes, U2, & some Metalica and some Rage Against the Machine.
I'm all over the map, just to name a few.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #2,031 of 3,395
Yeah, it's pretty minor.  I didn't even notice it until I was listening to some bass frequency sweeps.  I could live with it if it were out of warranty or whatever - but it's not.

Now that I HAVE noticed it, it just bothers me knowing that it's there, in the right driver...of my $400 headphones.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #2,033 of 3,395
Quote:
Alternative, Indie Rock, Classic Rock, Movie Soundtracks, Golden Age Hip-Hop...
Top artist I listen to are Wilco, Clint Mansell, CCR, Nas, Wu-Tang, Cash, Led Zed, Hendrix, Interpol, The Strokes, U2, & some Metalica and some Rage Against the Machine.
I'm all over the map, just to name a few.

Ok. I asked because for classic pop/rock, oldies, hiphop, blues, folk, funk, ambient, instrumentals and all good stuff I listen the anniversaries are very nice headphones. However, when I switch to heavier stuff they can indeed easily get fatiquing. Could be just me becoming old though
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #2,035 of 3,395
They're awesome for movies, especially when using Dolby Headphone. Really immersive.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2,036 of 3,395
FYI I tested the Q701 with 65th pads last night with gaming AGAIN...

Outer grill with foam installed = too dark. It's just barely noticeable, but I would say it's just rather muffled too and not as clear. If you listen to male dialogue it just sounds really weird and almost harsh sounding like it's too forward. I mean it's not that bad. My guess is that it just has less treble and more mid-bass which muddies up the sound.

Foam removed is perfect and things clear up. Pretty much close to being dark, but I think it's just right. It gets a little smoother too.

I was testing things a lot in Fallout 3. Love that game..if you go to the Anacostia Subway (near Rivet city) theres almost no change to the bass rumbling inside there over the Q701. If I max the bass it gives my ears a nice massage. HD-650 still has more bass here which is no big deal. There some things in Fallout 3 that I only pick up on the DJ100 and KRKs.

I think there is definitely some extra bass, but still pretty weak very low bass, but no big deal. I didn't really expect this anyway.

It's amusing how if you totally remove the outer grill it makes the Anniversary sound very veiled, even worse than an HD-600.

Comfort is about the same as the stock Q701. Don't buy them expecting better comfort! The non-angled pads are nice though.

EDIT:

I went back and edited some of my comments. They're sounding good now, but 1000% sure something was wrong and it's totally fixed and I can re-create the problem easily. The only difference now is that the mids are MUCH smoother and not harsh like before. I should have known something was wrong when I was getting ear fatigue quickly. Now it sounds pretty dang close to my HD-650, but the HD-650 (at least my paid) has slightly more low-bass volume.

If you do buy Anniversary Pads for your Q701 I suggest removing the inner grill foam for best results.

Totally bizarre how removing it before made everything sound worse. I won't bother trying to figure that out, but it definitely wasn't placebo as I had checked it at least 3 times before fixing the problem.

I honestly would have to say that if you're expecting your Q701 to majorly transform, then don't bother. To me it's still about a 5% improvement. Doesn't really sound that much warmer. Not even sure if it's worth a $73 upgrade. I do like the improvements though.

One thing that's nice is that harsh/fatiguing/badly recorded Jpop is now much easier on the ears. It seems to take a slight edge off of it like my HD-650 does.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,037 of 3,395
If you're someone who hates the bumps on the Q701, they should expect more comfort. :blink:

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #2,038 of 3,395
Quote:
If you're someone who hates the bumps on the Q701, they should expect more comfort.
blink.gif

Yeah, you're right, but I mean the pads. They're harder, but about the same in comfort once they warm up.

I clearly remember my first K701 having bumps that bothered me, but not with the later K702 or Q701. Why the heck does AKG even keep adding those?

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,039 of 3,395
Ah, yeah. All AKG 70X pads are pretty comfy. The K701 silver pads are the hardest, yet it was still quite comfy.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,040 of 3,395
Wow, don't ever use the Anniversary with a Fuze LOD to amp as a source. Sounds AWFUL with it!
Way too warm, congested and well muddy sounding. It does that to my DJ100 too. I find the Clip and Fuze flat, but they sound quite warm.
Soundstage on both of them is pretty terrible too.

Seems the Ipod 3G Monochrome and Ipod Touch 2G are perfect. The Ipod Touch seems even colder than my old ODAC.

Today I took my "Anniversary" (can i call it that now?
normal_smile .gif
) to work and was using just portable amps and sources.

I was listening to it for about 3 hours last night straight out of my Ipod 3G. I swear I think that could probably even drive a 600ohm Sextett to loud levels!

Maybe i'll get the Bifrost later this year when I have more money. Loving the Modi though and it's very similar to the ODAC.

Right now from the Fuze it sounds warmer than the HD-650. Yuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back