AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #1,967 of 3,395
Can you put it as it was when you first got it? I can't keep up with your mods.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #1,969 of 3,395
Quote:

I would say that the reason my Q701 sounded brighter than your Annie is that it was the outer foam. My testing might have just confirmed that.

I think it's possible the bass quantity of the Q701 with 65th pads is about the same as my HD-650, especially in the low bass. The HD-650 I have has no real mid-bass hump at all. My HD-600/580 had more of a mid-bass hump and it annoys the heck out of me. My Dj100 still beats them with low-bass, but that's closed. It picks up stuff that barely registers on the 650/Q701.

Last night I was gaming with the Q701 and the low-bass was so much lower in volume than the HD-650. Felt like it was just barely there. Now the K400's low bass..that's good for a laugh.

I'm still testing the differences, so impressions MIGHT change. Still not hearing really much difference at all. Maybe I can get out my sound meter
normal_smile%20.gif

Again..you guys probably have larger heads compared to me and more clamping force
biggrin.gif
When I remove my Q701, the memory foam is barely even compressed.

I imagine that makes a big difference. My head's huge, so I got pretty good clamp/compression when I had the Annie. looking forward to getting the pads from Frank some year.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,970 of 3,395
Quote:
Quote:
Can you put it as it was when you first got it? I can't keep up with your mods.

Right now it's totally as stock with just the 65th pads installed. Doesn't sound that bad now. I'm mostly getting more of a mid-bass hump and not so much more low bass presence. More warmth, but it seems less upper mids and far less treble.

It really sounds like a PX100-II in tonality now. Katun will love it!
normal_smile .gif
No and this is not a bad thing. I just didn't love that headphone, but felt it was pretty OK.

The lower mids really do feel much more forward. I haven't noticed any shoutiness from the lower mids in more than 15 minutes, so that's a good thing. Pad burn in? Just kidding
biggrin.gif

The mid bass does draw more attention to itself and it's a bit annoying. Not like the MDR-V6 though. I'm pretty sure it has more mid-bass than my HD-650. My HD-650 is not normal though or so it seems.

Here's a puzzle for someone. How does the 702 Annie get warmth with no grill foam and a completely open outer grill and the Q701 requires the foam to have any sort of warmth with the 65th pads? Weird right? Another AKG mystery.

Hmm, I too wonder why.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,972 of 3,395
Quote:

Got mine today. Shipped on the 13th by Fedex Ground. Listening to my Q701 with them installed now.
1 minute impression...my Q701 suddenly got more farty sounding. Differences in the bass are not as audible as I expected.
Things definitely sound more up-front for whatever reason.

OK l'll shut up since this is the 65th Anniversary thread and not the Q701 with 65th pads thread.

LOL

Don't worry, I was a little underwhelmed at first too.  I felt the same way about the forwardness and bass differences.  The anniversary grows on you though the more you listen to it.

The differences seem pretty minor at first, but the more time you spend with them the better an understanding you get of how each pad sounds. 

If you spend a while listening to the anniversary pads then switch back to the Q701, the differences will seem larger, and the Q701 will sound like an Audio Technica
tongue_smile.gif

I can hear the differences in the bass better after a week too. The anniversary has more weight and body that the Q701 can't reach.

Also try keep in mind the thing about the weight of the sound influencing your perception of the soundstage, just like on the old K702 vs Q701 (and how the Q701 sounds smaller at first because of the weightier sounds).
It got me in the begginning, but after you can listen "through" the weight a little better you can hear the actual soundstage placement is pretty similar between them.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #1,973 of 3,395
Quote:

Got mine today. Shipped on the 13th by Fedex Ground. Listening to my Q701 with them installed now.
1 minute impression...my Q701 suddenly got more farty sounding. Differences in the bass are not as audible as I expected.
Things definitely sound more up-front for whatever reason.

OK l'll shut up since this is the 65th Anniversary thread and not the Q701 with 65th pads thread.

You need the original K-702 to make it a proper mod!
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #1,974 of 3,395
I was thinking that myself.. With the Q701 sounding warmer than the K702's. All the extra warmth is bound to turn to mud.. Probs why they a farting aswell!

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,976 of 3,395
Mar 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,977 of 3,395
Quote:

You need the original K-702 to make it a proper mod!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I was thinking that myself.. With the Q701 sounding warmer than the K702's. All the extra warmth is bound to turn to mud.. Probs why they a farting aswell!

Well, it's been confirmed (by two people) that the Q701 with Anniversary pads sounds identical to the actual Anniversary Edition. I haven't heard the Anniversary Edition with my own ears though.

I highly doubt you can get the Anniversary Edition clone with any old K702 and 65th pads. Not unless the latest K702 did in fact get new drivers and sound 100% identical to the Q701.

So far I don't think anyone has compared the K702 with 65th pads to the actual Anniversary Edition.

Oh and I just know that when I install the 65th pads on my Q701 and remove the outer grill or it's foam the warmth goes out the window. So even installing a K702 grill wouldn't help.

I think the only way i'd like these 65th pads are if I put them on an old K701.

They even make my K400 sound warmer and bassier than my stock Q701. I liked it at first but them it removes what I love about the K400.

There REALLY has to be some internal differences between the Annie and Q701..

BTW I'm selling my 65th pads with 5 hours of use. About $13 less than what I paid. If you want them it's in the classifieds. Don't like the sound of them at all on my Q701. Should sound better on the K702 or K701 I'd imagine (not tested).

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,979 of 3,395
Quote:

Well, it's been confirmed (by two people) that the Q701 with Anniversary pads sounds identical to the actual Anniversary Edition. I haven't heard the Anniversary Edition with my own ears though.

I highly doubt you can get the Anniversary Edition clone with any old K702 and 65th pads. Not unless the latest K702 did in fact get new drivers and sound 100% identical to the Q701.

So far I don't think anyone has compared the K702 with 65th pads to the actual Anniversary Edition.

Oh and I just know that when I install the 65th pads on my Q701 and remove the outer grill or it's foam the warmth goes out the window. So even installing a K702 grill wouldn't help.

They even make my K400 sound warmer and bassier than my stock Q701. I liked it at first but them it removes what I love about the K400.

I was just kidding, I think Blackmore still have them both.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #1,980 of 3,395
Quote:

BTW I'm selling my 65th pads with 5 hours of use. About $13 less than what I paid. If you want them it's in the classifieds. Don't like the sound of them at all on my Q701. Should sound better on the K702 or K701 I'd imagine (not tested).

Oh I see, I really thought it was the original K702's that would sound like anniv's with the pad change. Didn't reallise it was the Q's that peeps had tried with them :) 

The thing is, I wouldn't want any more warmth with my newer K701's aswell. Comfort allway's comes second to SQ for me too. So with that in mind, I have no want to try the Anniversaries at all.

I'll get me coat.. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back