AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 3, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #1,756 of 3,395
Ya when I had the 650's I never had any comfort issues.  In fact it lulled me to the point I forgot I had them on some times.  The lcd's I did enjoy the mids also.  I did enjoy the SM3v1's because I have fit issues with my ear canals with other rounded IEMs such as the SM3v2, W4, shures but when I get the Annie's I'll try them out.  If I don't feel like selling them my Q's will go up for sale.  If I feel they are much too alike and the pads make them seem as such I'll most likely put the Annie's up for sale.  So far nothing I have had has given me head any comfort issues.  Only IEMs have been a hassle for me.  I may as well go custom, or stick with speakers.  

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,757 of 3,395
I'm pretty picky with comfort, but mostly with pads, and clamp. I haven't liked and IEM comfort-wise other than the cheap JVC Marshmallows. I love my Koss clip ons though.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #1,758 of 3,395
The 650's with a stretched headband are one of the most comfortable hp's I've used. Possibly just short of the DT880's.

My 8 bump AKG's aren't annoying me anymore now. It tends to be when you first get them and after a while your head (or bald scalp in my case) adapts to them. There are pros and cons, because once you get used to the bumps there is less of a surface area on your head. As opposed to a flat headband that could  cause sweating in the summer possibly.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #1,759 of 3,395
For some reason, I could never get used to the Beyer's headband. Probably because it's pleather. Same thing with the Denon D7000's headband. They just don't sit right on my head, and I'm constantly shuffling about.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #1,760 of 3,395
Quote:

Thanks for the info -- the 4-pin XLR is kind of interesting.  I'm not actually displeased with the quality of the stock cable -- and I'm really not a big believer in cables making a difference anyway.  The reason I'd consider going balanced is because I heard a K701 on a Bryston BHA-1 out at RMAF this past year, and it was easily the best I have ever heard this headphone sound.  Unfortunately though, for some reason the BHA-1's balanced out sounds much better than its single-ended out -- so I'd have to go balanced to get the best sound out of that combo.

Seems like I'm not the only one then.  I've always had problems with headphones that put pressure directly on the crown of my head.  With the flat headband on the K702.65, I find that it puts pressure on that spot. On the other hand, since the 8-bump K701 has an even number of bumps, there is no bump resting directly on the crown of my head.  Not saying the K701 was any more comfortable, but I've had mild comfort issues with both these headphones.  Ultimately it doesn't bother me that much -- I usually just have to shift the headband around a little bit periodically.

Btw, a good and a cheap alternative for a balanced amp is the Little Dot MKVII, I never had the chance to check it out, but some K70X owners love this amp, and even compare it to the GS1.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,761 of 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seems like I'm not the only one then.  I've always had problems with headphones that put pressure directly on the crown of my head.  With the flat headband on the K702.65, I find that it puts pressure on that spot.  On the other hand, since the 8-bump K701 has an even number of bumps, there is no bump resting directly on the crown of my head.  Not saying the K701 was any more comfortable, but I've had mild comfort issues with both these headphones.  Ultimately it doesn't bother me that much -- I usually just have to shift the headband around a little bit periodically.

Same thing here, pressure on the crown of the head but no where else. I started moving it around and i am keeping it on my headphone stand hoping the shape will change a little to rest comfortably on my head.
Quote:
Thats unfortunate, no bumps and it bothers you.  Did the leather make your head sweaty in any way?  Man, if its not the bumps than its the no bump head band.  Lets just strip the phone of the head band and strap the phones to our heads.  

No sweat at all but it does make my very short hair (I use a 2 guard beard trimmer for haircuts) lay flat on my head. If i did strap the phones to my head without the band it would be perfect, but hopefully this changes with a little wear.
Quote:
I wonder if the Mad Dogs comfort strap would work in his case?

I will check that out and I 100% agree that this is an isolated case.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,762 of 3,395
Quote:
Isn't that the belt type of strap?  I know some ppl have said that its really comfy.  But if its leather and that bothers or makes sweaty... a plastic head band?

Leather has not bothered me in the past but my headphone experience is pretty limited (HD598s) vs headsets (ax720, x41, px5, A40 wired and wireless, A50, PC360) so I cant rule anything out.

Quote:
Honestly, just do what I did on my last image, find a sock, cut it to size and wrap it around.

I will try that out, but I hope I dont have to resort to that as a permanent solution.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,763 of 3,395
Good luck with what your dealing with.  The info you gain will come in handy when others are in search to resolve the same problem or something similar.  
Quote:

Same thing here, pressure on the crown of the head but no where else. I started moving it around and i am keeping it on my headphone stand hoping the shape will change a little to rest comfortably on my head.

No sweat at all but it does make my very short hair (I use a 2 guard beard trimmer for haircuts) lay flat on my head. If i did strap the phones to my head without the band it would be perfect, but hopefully this changes with a little wear.

I will check that out and I 100% agree that this is an isolated case.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,764 of 3,395
Hi, I recently bought some Annies and i'm hooking them up to my pc via Asus Xonar Phoebus which has the same amp as the Essence STX ( TPA6120A2) and it has 3 gain settings:

- 0 dB for < 64 ohms
- 6 dB for 64-150 ohms
- 12 dB for > 150 ohms

I know the Annies only have 62ohms but I saw somewhere that they can "spike" to higher ohms. You guys got any advice to which setting I should use on the amp?

Thanks 

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #1,765 of 3,395
Quote:
Hi, I recently bought some Annies and i'm hooking them up to my pc via Asus Xonar Phoebus which has the same amp as the Essence STX ( TPA6120A2) and it has 3 gain settings:

- 0 dB for < 64 ohms
- 6 dB for 64-150 ohms
- 12 dB for > 150 ohms

I know the Annies only have 62ohms but I saw somewhere that they can "spike" to higher ohms. You guys got any advice to which setting I should use on the amp?

Thanks 

I would guess 6 dB would be good.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #1,766 of 3,395
Quote:

- 0 dB for < 64 ohms
- 6 dB for 64-150 ohms
- 12 dB for > 150 ohms

Thanks 

Yeah -6 db should be good, but also judge where your volume is for comfortable listening. I actually use 0db on my m-stage and this gives me a good volume at average 11 - 12 oclock. Amps tend to work their best when the volume is at these points. (Don't ask me why..) 

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,768 of 3,395
Have some Annies in front of me, and compared to the Q701s that I had last week, I like them alot better.  Very smooth transition through the frequency range.  I feel like the Q701s had a slightly weird thing going on in the uppermids.  These are definitely a very nice smooth headphone now that is pretty good with all the genres I listen to.   Much better comfort.  I really like the memory foam pads.  And the non-bumped headband is much better, but some padding would still be nice.  Gorgeous looking.  Really dig the aesthetics.

At near $500, I don't know if they are worth the money.  A little bit more gets you a used HE-500 which I think is a clear step better.  Overall clarity is better. I think the Annies wouldn't become a good value unless they were in the $300-350 range. 

Currently comparing to a recently acquired Denon ADH2000 and my modded T50RPs.  I think they are all equally as good, just present the music in different ways.  I do find the Annies a touch muffled compared to the Denons, perhaps due to the treble emphasis of the D2000s.  I will say that I like the D2000s better than the D5000s.  Something about the treble of the D5000s really bothered my ears.  T50RP splits the difference between sound sigs of the Annies and Denons, but falls short in soundstage to both.

What a great time to be into headphones.  So much quality at all price points.  

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,770 of 3,395
Is there any reason not just get the original?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back