AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Mar 2, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #1,727 of 3,395
Quote:
Got my Asgard 2 a couple of days ago, and I've been listening to my K702.65 on that amp.  Big differences when compared to listening on my Yamaha integrated, as expected.

On the Asgard 2, the bass quantity is reigned in pretty significantly, everything sounds tighter and more detailed, the soundstage opens up, the imaging sharpens, and there's the sense of more air in the presentation.  Basically, it sounds much more like my memory of the K701.

I think the K702.65 still improves on balance when compared to the K701.  The elevated bass quantity is pretty close to what I'd call neutral on the Asgard 2, and the emphasis that the K701 put on the upper mids is diminished.  As others have been starting to point out, I wouldn't be surprised if the pads are solely responsible for the sonic changes.

I'm not sure I'll end up keeping the K702.65.  I might go ahead and get the K701 instead, and install a pair of the memory foam pads -- I have always preferred a hard-wired cable, and the fact that it has four conductors vs. the K702.65's three makes the K701 much easier to convert to balanced.  But whatever way you slice it, I still think the K702.65 is a great headphone.  I would even call it a good value, if it weren't for the fact that you could buy a regular K70x or Q701 with a pair of memory foam pads for less.

I think you should keep them, the 65s are the most beautiful ones in the 70x line...and you probably don't remember the bumps on your head drilling holes in your skull.

About the cable, there are plenty of options out there to improve the SQ.
You can start with a simple cable replacement, http://www.head-fi.org/t/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable

You can even go Balanced, http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2012/04/balancing-akg-k702-headphone.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/483861/guide-balanced-akg-k702-with-detachable-4-pin-mini-xlr-cable

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,728 of 3,395
Hi all,

#650 checking in, per MLE recommendation for gaming I took the plunge on the Annies and the sound has been wonderful but... Has anyone else had any discomfort with the headband? I have worn them for a few days and where the band rests on my head I get a red spot a little bigger then a soda cap that is tender to the touch. My HD598s rested on my head evenly so i have never had this issue. Any ideas?

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,729 of 3,395
I don't see how there could be any discomfort from the headband, unless you're allergic to leather..., but it's possible.

If you think that's uncomfortable, avoid the non-Annies at all costs. :eek:

In any case, the headband is real thin, so you should be able to wrap some cloth or fabric around it.

Here's an old blue sock which I cut and wrapped around...(just did this, for his sake, I have zero issues with the Annie headband):

I assume a pin, or some tape to put the ends together on the top half.

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,730 of 3,395
Quote:

I have tried them, I actually have the new black k702 pads installed on my k701. There is no difference to be heard.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,731 of 3,395
I was listening last night and there was a period of about two hours where I didn't physically touch the headphones at all to reposition them in any way, so the Comfort is definitely high. I didnt notice any heat build up either, nothing unusual compared to the Q701, but maybe that will change in the summer.

The pads are very soft. Noticeably softer than the standard foam. The only thing I would change would be to make them just slightly thicker since they're already thinner than the standard pads and are quicker to compress. Still,like I just said, I went for several hours and didn't adjust them, and the only other headphone that had pulled that off for me is the a Q701. So, still better than other headphone I've tried. I have I have fairly big ears too, and usually my ears getting cramped inside the cups is the first thing to bother me and disqualify a headphone for me.

If you want to add padding to the head bands, seat belt pads are popular. I might add one to the 65s,not that I think they need it that much, but partly because I have a smaller head and spacing the elastics out a bit more helps the headphones fit a little more snugly (they're pretty much at the bottom of the track with the stock head band). Typed in my phone (thanks for the wall of text), and will edit later :-\

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,732 of 3,395
Thanks for the advice guys. I am not allergic to leather it is just the band rests the weight on a small spot on my head. MLE I do want to try out the bumps just to see how bad it is now.

After posting i tried to tighten the headphones so more of the band would rest on my head and didnt have a problem for the last hour or so. The earpads are amazingly comfortable, they feel alot better then my HD598s. I will try to post some pics if the problem continues.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,734 of 3,395
Quote:
Annies out getting hardwired now..  They'll be back next week.

Let me know how that goes. I've been thinking about that since I can only use my D1 dac/amp on these. Are they going to be single entry still but with a 4 pin instead of 3 as the connector?

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #1,735 of 3,395
Quote:

Let me know how that goes. I've been thinking about that since I can only use my D1 dac/amp on these. Are they going to be single entry still but with a 4 pin instead of 3 as the connector?

I was thinking about the single entry way.  But I opted to bypass that connector.  It's going to look just like this:

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,736 of 3,395
Quote:

I was thinking about the single entry way.  But I opted to bypass that connector.  It's going to look just like this:

Yeah better that way, I've never seen much point in upgrading the detachable cables as the signal still has to pass through the wire inside the headband to the other driver.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,737 of 3,395
Quote:
Yeah better that way, I've never seen much point in upgrading the detachable cables as the signal still has to pass through the wire inside the headband to the other driver.

I've thought this too. At first I was thinking..what the heck is the point of a $200 cable upgrade when you still have stock wires inside going from the metal rod to the driver.
Makes no sense but there is still audible benefits of cheap DIY single entry cable upgrades.

Strangely with my K702 and 3 cables I couldn't detect an ounce of difference until I got my HRT MSII. Wonder why? When I got my ODAC the differences were even smaller!

Sometimes I use my mini to mini Cardas cable interconnect ($35!!) with a $2 four inch Y-adapter (with copper wires inside) and it still gives me some audible benefits.

I think if someone bought a $100,000 10 foot extension cable, a Sennheiser 1/4 to 1/8 5" adapter is not going to magically degrade the sound.

And yep, you'd have to be a moron to use a $20 adapter if you buy any $100,000 cables. Ok that sounded weird. Using a $20 adapter is bad, but buying a $100,000 is perfect OK. Totally makes sense!

I'm sure I've made this clear, but the metal headband rod doesn't go straight to the drivers
biggrin.gif
The rod is soldered to some wires that go directly to the driver.

Maybe replacing these rod to driver wires with what's used for the single entry cable upgrade is a good idea too. If you can hear a difference when replacing 2" of wire you must have the best ears in the world.

I also replaced my TBSE stock cable with a $15 Mogami cable and theres still some minor improvements despite the ultra thin internal cables inside the headphone. As long as the internal wires are very short it seems OK. Don't ask me why or how!

BTW sorry about the cable crap, but very few cable upgrades for me with the Q701 have sounded better than the stock cable. Only one i've liked is the one I made with Mogami W2893. Didn't like DHC, ALO SXC, Canare or some generic Belden. Stock was almost best, but only due to preference. ALO SXC made my Q701 sound too cold and analytical. ALO SXC was nice until I used it for a week and could figure out the differences.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #1,738 of 3,395
^^^I definitely hear more music with my Mogami cable on my 702 and DAC1 USB.  Surely wouldn't have spend $2-300 on someone else's cable though.  Not a great solder'r, so the mini xlr is a pain, but it was worth it.  I can see someday hardwiring to both sides.

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,739 of 3,395
Quote:

Maybe order the Right side cap (the one without the miniXLR receptacle). I bet it pops on the left side just fine, and then will look the same on both sides.  It's called "ring right", #2458Z05070 (on the K702.. just noticed you have the Q)

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,740 of 3,395
Quote:
I've thought this too. At first I was thinking..what the heck is the point of a $200 cable upgrade when you still have stock wires inside going from the metal rod to the driver.
Makes no sense but there is still audible benefits of cheap DIY single entry cable upgrades.

Strangely with my K702 and 3 cables I couldn't detect an ounce of difference until I got my HRT MSII. Wonder why? When I got my ODAC the differences were even smaller!

Sometimes I use my mini to mini Cardas cable interconnect ($35!!) with a $2 four inch Y-adapter (with copper wires inside) and it still gives me some audible benefits.

I think if someone bought a $100,000 10 foot extension cable, a Sennheiser 1/4 to 1/8 5" adapter is not going to magically degrade the sound.

And yep, you'd have to be a moron to use a $20 adapter if you buy any $100,000 cables. Ok that sounded weird. Using a $20 adapter is bad, but buying a $100,000 is perfect OK. Totally makes sense!

I'm sure I've made this clear, but the metal headband rod doesn't go straight to the drivers
biggrin.gif
The rod is soldered to some wires that go directly to the driver.

Maybe replacing these rod to driver wires with what's used for the single entry cable upgrade is a good idea too. If you can hear a difference when replacing 2" of wire you must have the best ears in the world.

I also replaced my TBSE stock cable with a $15 Mogami cable and theres still some minor improvements despite the ultra thin internal cables inside the headphone. As long as the internal wires are very short it seems OK. Don't ask me why or how!

BTW sorry about the cable crap, but very few cable upgrades for me with the Q701 have sounded better than the stock cable. Only one i've liked is the one I made with Mogami W2893. Didn't like DHC, ALO SXC, Canare or some generic Belden. Stock was almost best, but only due to preference. ALO SXC made my Q701 sound too cold and analytical. ALO SXC was nice until I used it for a week and could figure out the differences.

Yeah I upgraded my K702 calbe for a Russ Andrews one, I was sure at the time that the sound was sharper? But in all honesty that could have been mind games.
In one sense, a better cable will keep a better signal before it reaches the conductor and wire in the hp's so if the wire is inferior then it may not degrade as much..?

Really dunno, except it kinda makes sense that having both drivers hard wired that they are going to be getting a better signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back