AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Feb 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,637 of 3,395
Quote:
Well, I tried that, but something was not right to my ears, so, I just installed them like they always were.

THX

All the AKG have the thickest part of the pad at the back and the thin part at the front.  That's how they angle the pads.  You can look and see there is a little mark on one of the bayonet lock tabs underneath, and that's supposed to be at the back of your ears.

But if you prefer them rotated...

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,639 of 3,395
Going to check later, thanks. It never bother me, I got them like this, bought them used and they were installed this way, so, maybe the previouse user liked them so as well, or, simply installed them wrongly, I dont know...

Quote:

All the AKG have the thickest part of the pad at the back and the thin part at the front.  That's how they angle the pads.  You can look and see there is a little mark on one of the bayonet lock tabs underneath, and that's supposed to be at the back of your ears.

But if you prefer them rotated...

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,640 of 3,395
Quote:
I don't know if it means cherry picked, or just that they take two  of 'em that measure the same to avoid channel imbalances or whatever.

Its kinda the same technique CPU makers are using, basically they cannot predict at all the performance of the chip they are making, so they just measure it after its made, and put the correct sticker on it.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,641 of 3,395
That would be the definition of cherry picking, or binning as they actually call it. They test at X speed and anything that passes can be sold as X, then Y, etc. Intel often has such good yields that a lot of stuff that would pass as X still gets sold as Y because there's more demand for the latter... Mostly due to lack of competition, hence the big overclocking headroom most of their parts have exhibited for a while.

Not exactly the best analogy to channel matching which is merely ensuring sample A is close to sample B, not up to X specification etc.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #1,643 of 3,395
Quote:
The Q's bumps don't bother me so I'd save some money.  

Agreed. The K702 band doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm doing +6 hour long gaming sessions. I'm interested in picking up a pair of the Annie pads.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,645 of 3,395
Quote:
So at least tbe Annie's drivers are cherry picked in comparison to the standard models. That means a lot actually, as following say, Beyerdynamic and its horrendous driver variations, much of that could be avoided with cherry picking drivers.

Quote:
I don't know if it means cherry picked, or just that they take two  of 'em that measure the same to avoid channel imbalances or whatever.

Quote:

Yeah not cherry picked, they are just matching the impedance of the driver. Sennheiser does this with their HD6X0. It really doesn't make much of a difference in sound. 

Wait, could it possibly be that a manufacturer is exaggerating just a little in their marketing materials?! Hmm... 
wink_face.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,646 of 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. The K702 band doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm doing +6 hour long gaming sessions. I'm interested in picking up a pair of the Annie pads.

Not get off topic but how much hair do you guys have? I do a buzz cut and the last time I tried a K702, "I was like what numskull designed this?!" 

Haha. I'm at that age where it is going fast, my friend. Very thin and very little up top and the K702 band just doesn't bother me.

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #1,647 of 3,395
Quote:

Not get off topic but how much hair do you guys have? I do a buzz cut and the last time I tried a K702, "I was like what numskull designed this?!" 

Yup. I actually have imprints on the top of my bald head.... It's quite a cool look though :D

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,648 of 3,395
have you guys tried pinching and rolling the headband diagonally (both ways) for a few minutes.. It softens up the bumps quite a bit...they come pretty stiff from the factory, but loosen up like a baseball mitt does with some manipulation. 

Also, the directions for changing the rubber bands would also release the headband, and look pretty simple...
To exchange the rubber loops 6 break out cover 3
by inserting a screwdriver into the notch below the
CE sign. Now undo locking knob 7. It has latches
that have to be depressed while simultaneously
pressing the knob out.

Is the 601 headband as soft as the 702.65's (probably cheaper if they still have it.)

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #1,649 of 3,395
I'm with imackler on the headband, and I've got a full head of medium-long hair. Despite my "hair buffer" the bumps would still dig in and make me itch under the headband. I couldn't sit still listening to music because I was scratching my head half the time.

Oh well, different headbands for different heads.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,650 of 3,395
Quote:

Here is a screenshot of the K701 service manual that mentions the angle of the pads:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back