AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Feb 23, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #1,516 of 3,395
Quote:
In stock configuration, mean stock pads and cable, Anniversary impressed me with electronica / trance music only. Classical and Jazz were not my liking, their midbass umph I was afraid of is there, but also the whole signature have kind of coating, which makes them sound like many already described, more forgiving, warmer and upfront.
Another story guys when you put normal pads on Anniversary model, they just become normal K702, so, basically and based on my first session, I conclude that pads make them sound like this. I did put Anniversary pads on normal K702 and here we go, Anniversary were back. To make the final call, I need more time. What I mean, is, if they sound fully identical when you switch pads, but right now, I would say, try Anniversary pads on your K702 and you will get very close sound to the original Anniversarys. Less exciting news is, the Anniversary pads seem to be not cheap and this may be the reason why, cos guys at AKG/Harman knew this will show up sooner or later, so, if you want Anniversary sound with your normal K702, you must pay the bill.  
THX

Thank you for this nice comparision.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #1,517 of 3,395
Quote:
Been mentioned various times, the Annie is warmer and smoother. I don't understand why people would ever expect it to be on the same level of crispness and air as the non-Annies. You can't just add bass and expect the rest of the spectrum to sound the exact same. Sound doesn't work that way.
As for them being identical pads aside, l'll hold out until more people I personally trust compare them (tdock, chicolom). So far one person has stated they sound different even when swapping pads, the other says they are the same. At least you proved that changes between the Annie and the others aren't limited to just the bass.

Now the rubbish talk comes from you.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #1,519 of 3,395
Quote:
Yesterday, the postman was really nice and deliver them to my place, so, here are my first impressions compared to original K702.

In stock configuration, mean stock pads and cable, Anniversary impressed me with electronica / trance music only. Classical and Jazz were not my liking, their midbass umph I was afraid of is there, but also the whole signature have kind of coating, which makes them sound like many already described, more forgiving, warmer and upfront.
While they still kept the detail, they turn in the air and clarity, which, at the end, translated in less linearity with much more "fun" instead. But if I have to be critical, they just lost their balance.

For example, when you listen to orchestral and trio jazz, you just hear it, there is no natural sparkle of string tone or deep and tight acoustic bass, even piano, while still have that typical tone, but because of already mentioned coating and upfront umph in sound, makes it sound like you put your head inside piano and not just sitting in front of orchestra. The whole specturm is more compact and do not deliver the natural feeling to be in concert hall, but just direct or inside the orchestra. Also, because of prominent lower end, they sound clearly louder with the same volume settings. I found them sound like closed back with some tracks than open air one.

Another story guys when you put normal pads on Anniversary model, they just become normal K702, so, basically and based on my first session, I conclude that pads make them sound like this. I did put Anniversary pads on normal K702 and here we go, Anniversary were back. To make the final call, I need more time. What I mean, is, if they sound fully identical when you switch pads, but right now, I would say, try Anniversary pads on your K702 and you will get very close sound to the original Anniversarys. Less exciting news is, the Anniversary pads seem to be not cheap and this may be the reason why, cos guys at AKG/Harman knew this will show up sooner or later, so, if you want Anniversary sound with your normal K702, you must pay the bill.

THX

Thanks a lot for clarifying those points in detail, I hope the sparkle will pop in with the burn in process...and also I was hoping the new pads design will increase the focus on the SQ/FR (maybe this was AKG intention to start with). Please keep us update.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #1,520 of 3,395
Quote:
Yesterday, the postman was really nice and deliver them to my place, so, here are my first impressions compared to original K702.

While they still kept the detail, they turn in the air and clarity, which, at the end, translated in less linearity with much more "fun" instead. But if I have to be critical, they just lost their balance.

For example, when you listen to orchestral and trio jazz, you just hear it, there is no natural sparkle of string tone or deep and tight acoustic bass, even piano, while still have that typical tone, but because of already mentioned coating and upfront umph in sound, makes it sound like you put your head inside piano and not just sitting in front of orchestra. The whole specturm is more compact and do not deliver the natural feeling to be in concert hall, but just direct or inside the orchestra. Also, because of prominent lower end, they sound clearly louder with the same volume settings. I found them sound like closed back with some tracks than open air one.

THX

thank you so much. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #1,521 of 3,395
Would like to clarify things first.

My comparison is based on my taste, system and music I listen to, thats first. Second, there is no way you can find anything  in my comparison that makes somebody else taste or findings bad or a lie, so, lets keep it nice up here please. Third, these Anniversarys I got, had around 200 hours already, thats what the previous owner told me, 100 hours of burn in and 90 listening time, where I got already 4 hours of my first session.
I swithced the pads after less than an hour and listen to both for like 2 hours and then switched back to stock and listen for another hour, but then for electronica and trance only, which impressed me at most.

I am going to give them another 200 hours of burn in and report back by then.

THX

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,522 of 3,395
Now the rubbish talk comes from you. :D

I didn't say I don't trust what Blackmore has stated. In fact, I believe him. I just want more confirmations from people I've known longer, is all. Im not discrediting him at all. Right now, there are only two people who have swapped pads, with different opinions.

If the sound differences is due just because of the pads, that's good news for those who own the older models and don't mind the headband bumps.

Buying a Q701 with annie pads would be about $100 less than what the Annie goes for. You lose out on the amazing headband, limited edition color/branding, but if you're pinching pennies, that'd be a recommendation I would give to anyone, ASSUMING it is indeed just the pads. Time will tell.

If the headband wasn't so incredibly difficult to replace (they are not mod friendly), I'd just get a K601 headband and Annie pads, if I already owned the K/Qs for awhile. In fact, I'd love to own a pair of K701's that had the K601 headband, and Annie pads (if the sound, again, is due to JUST the pads).

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #1,523 of 3,395
Quote:

My comparison is based on my taste, system and music I listen to, thats first. Second, there is no way you can find anything  in my comparison that makes somebody else taste or findings bad or a lie, so, lets keep it nice up here please. Third, these Anniversarys I got, had around 200 hours already, thats what the previous owner told me, 100 hours of burn in and 90 listening time, where I got already 4 hours of my first session.
I swithced the pads after less than an hour and listen to both for like 2 hours and then switched back to stock and listen for another hour, but then for electronica and trance only, which impressed me at most.

THX

Hey you got them finally! I'm so glad that you're able to do this comparison. Thanks for the honest impressions so far. I was afraid that these do not suit you so well with classical and it seems that I was right. How are those pads for your skin? Any irritation or hot spots? Very interesting impressions from pad switching. I guess it would be worth for us Annie owners to get those normal pads to get the most out of jazz and classical recordings. Any suggestions were to find best prices? As I've been saying multiple times the main selling points for me were the increased comfortability and versatility. I see you also find them to sound more like a semi open than fully open cans. This was one of my first impressions with them also. They seal and isolate way better.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #1,524 of 3,395
No kidding. The Annie's sound leakage is like a closed can compared to the HE-400 and LCD-2.

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,525 of 3,395
Quote:

THX

Looks like you're already there ...as far I remember my 702s got the sound changes in the first 200hrs, the last change that I notice was around 250. I definitely agree with you, another 200hrs will close this case. Maybe a silver cable can open the sound of the 65s.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,526 of 3,395
In a way, it'd be great if different pads could take us all the way from the bright and airy K701 to the warmer K702 Anniversaries. Then perhaps some other pads could be right in the middle... K702 Anniversaries with the new headband and big, angled Jmoney pads - or something similar - would be very comfortable.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,527 of 3,395
Quote:
In a way, it'd be great if different pads could take us all the way from the bright and airy K701 to the warmer K702 Anniversaries. Then perhaps some other pads could be right in the middle... K702 Anniversaries with the new headband and big, angled Jmoney pads - or something similar - would be very comfortable.

The newer K701's aren't really that bright imo. Certainly wouldn't want any more bass or warmth. I'm gonna give the pads a miss now because I was thinking about it, but just for comfort reasons

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #1,528 of 3,395
Quote:

Looks like you're already there ...as far I remember my 702s got the sound changes in the first 200hrs, the last change that I notice was around 250. I definitely agree with you, another 200hrs will close this case. Maybe a silver cable can open the sound of the 65s.

You're bad! Silver cable on an K70X? No thanks!
Silver MIGHT make the 65th sound closer to a K702. Why would you want that?
confused_face.gif

Mogami or stock is best. I love the Mogami cable I made for my Q701. A bit fuller sounding than stock. Probably due to a thicker gauge of wire or it's capacitance.

I've tried ALO SXC on the Q701 and it was awful. At first it was nice but then I realized I lost warmth, but everything was more distant sounding and clearer (more transparent?)
This cable distortion nonsense almost makes sense to me. The science guys will just love that comment..

Often a cable that's technically crappier sometimes sound better. Weird right?

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,529 of 3,395
Quote:

You're bad! Silver cable on an K70X? No thanks!
Silver MIGHT make the 65th sound closer to a K702. Why would you want that?
confused_face.gif

Mogami or stock is best. I love the Mogami cable I made for my Q701. A bit fuller sounding than stock. Probably due to a thicker gauge of wire or it's capacitance.

I've tried ALO SXC on the Q701 and it was awful. At first it was nice but then I realized I lost warmth, but everything was more distant sounding and clearer (more transparent?)
This cable distortion nonsense almost makes sense to me. The science guys will just love that comment..

Often a cable that's technically crappier sometimes sound better. Weird right?

Maybe the silver cable will help Blackmore to fool in love with the 65's, you never know!
tongue_smile.gif
I like my Mogami quad W2534, but soon I'll try out the Sommer Galileo 238 that is a very balanced cable.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,530 of 3,395
Thanks blackmore, for your review.

Interesting to see a different take on the pad switching. Maybe there might still be difference's between the K701vsK702?

This is just confusing. On one hand I can't ignore your findings, but on the other, I can't really argue with my own hearings either.

and AKG's secret upgrades don't help remove any doubt either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back