AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #1,441 of 3,395
Feb 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,442 of 3,395
Quote:
Can't believe I had a dirty thought reading your post. *slap myself*

Dirty thoughts.. and slapping yourself..?

You're on the wrong forum my friend 
wink.gif
 You'll be giving head-fi a bad name
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,443 of 3,395
@RustA

So you really like the HD800s on the O stack?  I have the M Stack and my HD800 sounds horrible on them very thin, lacks bass soundstage is restricted just awful.  Could the O stack be much better?

The 65ths are a pretty good damn headphone.  Once I get them re cabled.  They can step up to the big boy amps and be properly compared to the Qs / K701s / 650s and 600s.  

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,444 of 3,395
Quote:
@RustA

So you really like the HD800s on the O stack?  I have the M Stack and my HD800 sounds horrible on them very thin, lacks bass soundstage is restricted just awful.  Could the O stack be much better?

I would say that O2 stack amplifies HD800 completely in the same way as it does with LCD-2... There is no audible clipping, only neutral and very clean signal going through. Whether it is to your liking or not is completely up to you.

I am not going to discuss about O2 stack again... There is enough hate here on head-fi.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,445 of 3,395
Some people sure do get their panties all stuck up in a bunch over a simple question.  Don't worry dude.  You don't have to discuss anything you don't want to.  It's not like you're some go to person for information or something.  Ha ha ha..  Really? 

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,446 of 3,395
Quote:
Some people sure do get their panties all stuck up in a bunch over a simple question.  Don't worry dude.  You don't have to discuss anything you don't want to.  It's not like you're some go to person for information or something.  Ha ha ha..  Really? 

I do not know what exactly you expect me to tell you, honestly... You can ask whatever you want and I will gladly answer if I understand what you want to know.

But obviously, I do not own five 2000USD amplifiers to compare them with O2... All I can say is that I equally like how O2 amplifies HD800 and LCD-2. I don't feel they lack anything. I am just not searching for the best-sounding combination - I appreciate neutrality and therefore I will most probably like O2 equally with any headphone (maybe except K1000, HE-6 and electrostats, LOL).

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,448 of 3,395
Quote:

The 65ths are a pretty good damn headphone.  Once I get them re cabled.  They can step up to the big boy amps and be properly compared to the Qs / K701s / 650s and 600s.  

Ahh, Good to know I'm not crazy, with you having that Wicked HE-6 setup and still able to appreciate the K702 65th.  I've owned a few of the $1000+ flagships myself and I can still fully appreciate the Anniversaries.  I'm working on trying to acquire an HD-800 at the moment but I can still see myself keeping the Anniversaries for when I wan't something different.  They're just a very like-able headphone and they seem to scale surprisingly well.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #1,449 of 3,395
Quote:
Like I said, don't worry.  I was just being friendly and sparking a conversation around the HD800s and the 65ths,  It's all good.  Whatever floats your boat..

I see, no problem...

I just recall this "legendary" sentence sometimes when someone with 10k+ rigs mentions cheap amplifiers: "One, stop drinking the KoolAid, the O stack is entry level iPod level stuff."
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,450 of 3,395
Quote:

Ahh, Good to know I'm not crazy, with you having that Wicked HE-6 setup and still able to appreciate the K702 65th.  I've owned a few of the $1000+ flagships myself and I can still fully appreciate the Anniversaries.  I'm working on trying to acquire an HD-800 at the moment but I can still see myself keeping the Anniversaries for when I wan't something different.  They're just a very like-able headphone and they seem to scale surprisingly well.

How do they compare to the AD2KXs?  It's good to know they scale good.  That works for me.

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,451 of 3,395
Quote:

How do they compare to the AD2KXs?  It's good to know they scale good.  That works for me.

The AD2000X is a decent headphone in it's own right, but as you can see they're already up for sale.  For my tastes, I prefer the smoother, spacious, and more well balanced sound of the K702 65th. The AD2000X has a little airier treble and much more forward upper mids, to the point where it becomes a little fatiguing for me after listening for longer.  

The upper mid coloration I know is apart of the AT house sound but it seems less apparent in my A900X closed headphone.  With the AD2000X it seems to border on slightly nasally when compared back to back with the 65th.  But I also find the 65th to have a very natural vocal presentation.

Also, since the drivers are much closer to the ears everything just sounds more compressed and congested than the K702 65th.  Now to be fair the AD2000X still has the edge in "snap and pop" for stuff like percussion and snare drums but I find the K702 65th to just be more balanced overall.  The only music where I outright preferred the AD2000X is heavy rock and metal, they're good to really jam out with.  Problem is, there is plenty of cheaper headphone that are sufficient for "Jamming out" so to speak.  

So now, I'm trying to sell to raise funds to buy an HD-800.  I did enjoy the HE-6 when I owned it but I'm leaning toward more comfortable headphones now and I'm a soundstage/space addict so I figure the HD-800's at least deserve to be tried in home for a bit.

Feb 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,452 of 3,395
Quote:
The AD2000X is a decent headphone in it's own right, but as you can see they're already up for sale.  For my tastes, I prefer the smoother, spacious, and more well balanced sound of the K702 65th. The AD2000X has a little airier treble and much more forward upper mids, to the point where it becomes a little fatiguing for me after listening for longer.  

The upper mid coloration I know is apart of the AT house sound but it seems less apparent in my A900X closed headphone.  With the AD2000X it seems to border on slightly nasally when compared back to back with the 65th.  But I also find the 65th to have a very natural vocal presentation.

Also, since the drivers are much closer to the ears everything just sounds more compressed and congested than the K702 65th.  Now to be fair the AD2000X still has the edge in "snap and pop" for stuff like percussion and snare drums but I find the K702 65th to just be more balanced overall.  The only music where I outright preferred the AD2000X is heavy rock and metal, they're good to really jam out with.  Problem is, there is plenty of cheaper headphone that are sufficient for "Jamming out" so to speak.  

So now, I'm trying to sell to raise funds to buy an HD-800.  I did enjoy the HE-6 when I owned it but I'm leaning toward more comfortable headphones now and I'm a soundstage/space addict so I figure the HD-800's at least deserve to be tried in home for a bit.

The HD800 won't disappoint especially when it comes to soundstage and air.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #1,453 of 3,395
I know it's off-topic, but is the HD-800's soundstage larger than the K400 or K501? Somehow I can't imagine this...

My K400's soundstage is even larger than the Q701s...

For me there's such a thing as a soundstage that's too large!

Oh and my 65th pads didn't ship yet. They were supposed to be in stock in stock the 19-21st, so maybe tomorrow.
Apparently there is NONE inside the USA yet. At least that's what they said.

Maybe the 65th will still be sold when I have enough money to buy them.

Lately my HD-650 and Q701 have gotten zero use at all though...

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #1,455 of 3,395
Quote:
you like the k400 better?

Than the Q701? I don't have the 65th (yet or anytime soon unfortunately) yet.
K400 is certainly "interesting" and I like it, but I don't think it's better than the Q701 or K601.

It's soundstage is very large, but that treble is kind of elevated and annoying..

I hope the 65th doesn't sound like an open TBSE/DJ100 with Pearstone pads in it's tonality or else i'm really screwed and will have to buy it.

I'm guessing the 65th isn't as warm as the HD-650, but maybe only slightly less so. My favorite headphone sounds like a closed HD-650 with more treble and better lower sub-bass. Both have very controlled bass.

I'm probably wrong, but I imagine the 65th to sound like an HD-650 with less mid-bass, sightly less warmth and more treble. Overall clearer sounding and maybe more detailed. Perhaps slightly less forgiving. Oh and a much larger soundstage and slightly more forward upper mids.

I think if it's close to that then the 65th would be a must have for me.

The earliest I'd be able to get a pair is in early summer, but by then it might be too late..who knows. It's not a high priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back