AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #634 of 3,395
just got mine today too. #968

undecided if i like it better than my he-400 but the weight reduction is nice. also think female vocals sound a lot better.

People need to stop tempting my interest and comparing these to the 400's.

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #635 of 3,395
They are different. Complimentary even. The HE400 has deeper bass and more dynamic treble, and superior imaging. The Annies are far more balanced, very spacious and large soundstage, and the mids trump the HE400s by a considerable margin. The treble on the Annie is smooth and more pleasing than the HE400's treble which is aggressive at times.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #636 of 3,395
They are different. Complimentary even. The HE400 has deeper bass and more dynamic treble, and superior imaging. The Annies are far more balanced, very spacious and large soundstage, and the mids trump the HE400s by a considerable margin. The treble on the Annie is smooth and more pleasing than the HE400's treble which is aggressive at times.

With all these rave reviews I feel like getting these, but the HE400 images better than these? I find that hard to believe. From what I remember the q701 images better than the HE400's.

I will compare both later at work.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 10, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #637 of 3,395

pretty much agree with this assessment. I feel the akg702-65 is very smooth and easy to listen to. although the bass is deep and textured on the he-400, once I stopped a/bing the 702s had adequate bass for my taste.

what I noticed, which is the reason I'm gonna mainly use the 702s, is for my tracks the 400s can have a lot of sibilance. I noticed it on female vocals (before ever getting the 702s) but just now noticed it a/bing a couple of my tracks with male vocals.
my ears may just be sensitive to that though.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #641 of 3,395
Quote:
Because it is better...any audiophile will tell you this.

rolleyes.gif
If you had taken these headphones apart and seen the number of wires and solders inside the cans in addition to the fact that one side of the signal goes through the bars of the headband you would understand how insignificant the fact that it does not have a hard wired 1/4" plug is in the scheme of all that. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link and I can confidently state that the adapter is not the weakest link.

If you want the best from these cans I suggest a dual entry re cable and bypass the convoluted route that AKG makes the signal take.

Standard AKG (from the can that has it's signal routed through the headband):

Cable 1 soldered to driver
Cable 1 soldered to headband bar (made of steel I assume)
Cable 2 soldered to headphone bar
Cable 2 soldered to mini XLR
Cable 3 soldered to Mini XLR
Cable 3 soldered to headphone plug.

Modified:

Cable 1 soldered to driver
Cable 1 soldered to headphone plug.

1 cable and 2 solders vs 3 cables, a headphone bar, a mini XLR and 6 solders. Guess which sounds better.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #642 of 3,395
Been following this thread for some time, would love to try these but I already have the K702 which I already find fantastic, also was planning to reluctantly sell my HE40, and my other headphones to get the funds for a pair of HD800/T1 which didn't go as planned and they have been in the box since.
Now these new anniversaries look brilliant in the photos and the limited edition part is kind of a seller to me 
biggrin.gif
, but they don't directly sell these in the UK either? Does anyone know a UK online shop that sell these? I could buy in the US from ebay but custom fees will be unpredictable and could be costly and the sellers won't devalue the items either. 

Now I'm not sure what to do as the standard K702 already seem fine to me 
confused_face_2.gif
, obviously if  in the end I do get 65th anniversaries, I would have to sell the K702... Not sure if it is worth the hassle and effort to go through this procedure though..

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #643 of 3,395
Feel pretty much the same way... I'm hoping (waiting to hear back from AKG Pro service dept.) that we can buy the new pads for our 702s. I've made my headband very comfy, but I'm pretty sure the new pads are an improvement.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #644 of 3,395
Quote:
The HE400 has deeper bass and more dynamic treble, and superior imaging.

Quote:
With all these rave reviews I feel like getting these, but the HE400 images better than these? I find that hard to believe. From what I remember the q701 images better than the HE400's.

I will compare both later at work.

Looking forward to your comparisons.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #645 of 3,395
Quote:
Feel pretty much the same way... I'm hoping (waiting to hear back from AKG Pro service dept.) that we can buy the new pads for our 702s. I've made my headband very comfy, but I'm pretty sure the new pads are an improvement.

Can't say for sure before measurements, but I believe the anniversary drivers are tuned differently to match the pad design? Not sure how they would work with standard 702s. Nevertheless, this would be interesting experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back