AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Nov 29, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #346 of 3,395
Appreciated! Very beautiful amp. Have to put it to my list of possible candidates and find more info online.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #347 of 3,395
Somebody made a short but informative unboxing / overview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqLb2gfEvhQ

There seems to be some third party availability on amazon.com at the moment. Not very cheap though.

I personally have started to pay more attention on how the initial burn may have impacted the sound so far. It is difficult to say for sure but I think the sound is now a little bit smoother than what it was right after the purchase. When I first listened 65s in the hifiexpo and compared them directly to the standard 702s in the same amp I remember that I was wondering if the bass impact was even too strong at times. Now I don't feel this anymore so I think that some settling has taken place. Of course the amp is also completely different.

The 65s are very versatile cans. I can listen to any kind of music with smile on my face (except bad recordings of course) and watch movies... they are suitable for practically anything. If your listening preferences are, however, more specific meaning that you only listen to certain kind of music (such as classical, jazz and acoustic) then I'm sure you find equally good headphones (or better) for less money. I would definitely recommend these for everybody if you can get them for a decent price. The current street price is still too high in most places IMO.

I have to say that the memory foam pads compress a little bit towards your head and, while giving better surround and seal than the spring foam versions, they do generate a little bit more heat. No so much that it's offending but they are not as "cool" as some of the lighter touching pads. When you put the headphones on your head the pads are very light at first but as they heat up they start to get better shape and feel a bit heavier. Considering this and the fact that the back grill has plastic wall behind it I would definitely say that the 65s are not open but semi open headphones.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #348 of 3,395
Quote:
I personally have started to pay more attention on how the initial burn may have impacted the sound so far. It is difficult to say for sure but I think the sound is now a little bit smoother than what it was right after the purchase.

My first time the burn in got my attention was around 80 hours, and the second time was around 150, and 250. Did you try to put the 65's pads on the K702?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #351 of 3,395
Quote:
My first time the burn in got my attention was around 80 hours, and the second time was around 150, and 250. Did you try to put the 65's pads on the K702?

I guess I'm close to the 80 hours mark then. When I got my 65s I burned them in for a couple of days and after that been using them just regularly few hours per day. I would love to try the 65 pads in standard 702s, but like blackmore said I only have the 65s. I really hope Hifiguy can do this comparison.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #353 of 3,395
Quote:

I guess I'm close to the 80 hours mark then. When I got my 65s I burned them in for a couple of days and after that been using them just regularly few hours per day. I would love to try the 65 pads in standard 702s, but like blackmore said I only have the 65s. I really hope Hifiguy can do this comparison.

If the magic started to happen you probably are close to the 80 hours. I don't want to confuse people here, is not that you get a new hps with a different sound character. You'll have all most the same sound, just smother, airy, and with a better sound separation.  

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #355 of 3,395
oh sure; leave us hanging
tongue_smile.gif
      would love to hear comparison and contrast against another new phone - k167 tiesto

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #357 of 3,395
I received a pair of these yesterday. I have many headphones including a pair of K701s that are about 5 years old, so very well run in, and out of the box the 65th edition sounds obviously different to me. More bass with a much more forward sound signature so they sound louder in direct comparison. They also sound kinda tight and not as open as the well used K701s which is what I would expect for a new pair. We'll see how they change as they get some more hours on them. They definitely are more comfortable and that is a huge win.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #358 of 3,395
Nice to see more new owners around, I hope they will open up more, this is must for me.

THX
Quote:
I received a pair of these yesterday. I have many headphones including a pair of K701s that are about 5 years old, so very well run in, and out of the box the 65th edition sounds obviously different to me. More bass with a much more forward sound signature so they sound louder in direct comparison. They also sound kinda tight and not as open as the well used K701s which is what I would expect for a new pair. We'll see how they change as they get some more hours on them. They definitely are more comfortable and that is a huge win.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #359 of 3,395
I just got the K702 65th anniversary today and i also have the k701.. the Anniversary's sound signature is better for my taste than the one in the k701(right out of the box vs burned in k701).
The general sound is still a K7xx sound signature but a little bit better in everything, better bass but still not enough, a little bit more warm  and neutral in the mids, softer in the highs which is little bit too aggressive for me on the k701 and a lot more comfortable to wear than the k701.
I am very curious about the beyerdynamic t1 and wondering what will be the difference between the two, i have enough time to return the k702 anniversary and than i can buy the T1 but i can't compare the two side by side.. 
Generally i really like the k702 anniversary from a 2 hours listening session and i even don't have a dedicated amp, just headphones out from apogee ensemble but i just think that even with better amp and after 100 or 200 hours of burn in it will not be a night and day difference.
Something is missing / hollow in the low area.. i can definitely hear the bass and low mids, i just can't feel it.. hard to explain.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #360 of 3,395
Well, T1 are differ, on their own and to me, they are overpriced, however this is for me only. My issue with them was their veil, seems that it goes away, if you recable them at special way by not using any ground wire anymore, or, simply desconnect the stock. I think it will be difficult to compare them, cos one is linear and not forgiving and another opposite of it, however the general impression about 65s so far that they are much flex with differ music, because they are very smooth.

Keep us updating please, maybe, if you have the time and the will, after 200 hours they become some differ beast.

THX
Quote:
I just got the K702 65th anniversary today and i also have the k701.. the Anniversary's sound signature is better for my taste than the one in the k701(right out of the box vs burned in k701).
The general sound is still a K7xx sound signature but a little bit better in everything, better bass but still not enough, a little bit more warm  and neutral in the mids, softer in the highs which is little bit too aggressive for me on the k701 and a lot more comfortable to wear than the k701.
I am very curious about the beyerdynamic t1 and wondering what will be the difference between the two, i have enough time to return the k702 anniversary and than i can buy the T1 but i can't compare the two side by side.. 
Generally i really like the k702 anniversary from a 2 hours listening session and i even don't have a dedicated amp, just headphones out from apogee ensemble but i just think that even with better amp and after 100 or 200 hours of burn in it will not be a night and day difference.
Something is missing / hollow in the low area.. i can definitely hear the bass and low mids, i just can't feel it.. hard to explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back