AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Aug 12, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,967 of 2,435

There's so many good options out there. It's about picking the one that has what you want. Do you want a portable? Do you want a DAC and AMP combo? If so do you need USB input? Maybe you want multiple inputs (USB, SPDIF, ect.). Maybe you want a pre-amp out? If you want a desktop amp is size an issue? Maybe you want a sleek stylish design on your desk. You also need a budget in mind to narrow your options. I always suggest narrowing your options by the features you want before getting into which sounds better than the other. Because ultimately that will determine whether you keep it or not. I wouldn't go down the route of pairing an amp to a particular headphone, a good amp should sound great with any good quality headphone like the K612. As for the K612 any desktop grade amp, sound cards with built-in amps, or portables over $100 will have enough power. Of course you will get better bang for your buck feature and sound wise with a desktop solution over a portable. I usually don't recommend PC sound cards because of their lack of versatility, you can't easily move your setup around or modify things easily. Hopefully that gets you thinking.

Thx for replying, anything.. i just want something suitable to drive it, i am using laptop and pc so don really need a portable amp... was thinking of ican or audinst...

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,968 of 2,435
No budget in mind? On the low end (around $100) I would just go with a Schiit Magni 2 or Fiio E10. The Fiio has more features and a DAC, but the DAC isn't going to improve anything. I would lean towards the Magni between those two. If you ever want to add a DAC in the mix you can later. In the mid-range (around $200-300) I would go with a Maverick Audio D1 or A1 or a Schiit Asgard 2. The Asgard has no DAC but is cleaner. There are higher end options which you can sometimes find used or on sale too but those are some options to start.

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,969 of 2,435
No budget in mind? On the low end (around $100) I would just go with a Schiit Magni 2 or Fiio E10. The Fiio has more features and a DAC, but the DAC isn't going to improve anything. I would lean towards the Magni between those two. If you ever want to add a DAC in the mix you can later. In the mid-range (around $200-300) I would go with a Maverick Audio D1 or A1 or a Schiit Asgard 2. The Asgard has no DAC but is cleaner. There are higher end options which you can sometimes find used or on sale too but those are some options to start.

not easy to get schiit here, what if ibasso d-zero mk2?

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #1,970 of 2,435

not easy to get schiit here, what if ibasso d-zero mk2?

Not familiar with that one in particular but it's a portable. It won't be as good as the options I gave you. SMSL is a less known Chinese brand that make some premium audio stuff for cheap. You can find their stuff on amazon or ebay, but shenzenaudio has the best selection. Checkout their selection of SMSL headphone amps here. I have the SMSL SAP III and at under $60 it's very impressive. The newer version of this is the SAP VI. Those are pure amps but they have DAC/AMP combo's too. Any choice you make will be a good value in their lineup. The SAP 8 or VA2 are really good higher end ones while still being around $100.

Edit: I don't recommend the AMP/DAC combos. If you want a DAC it's better to get a dedicated one. The Sanskrit 6 (SK6) is a very good option at $100. Combine this with a SAP 8 or VA2 and you have a setup comparable to many over double the price. Going this route enables you to easily upgrade your DAC or AMP separately latter.

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #1,972 of 2,435
  haha, i almost forgot smsl.. Thanks... i think i will take va2.

Very good choice. Dedicated Low or High impedance output and very good SNR. Let me know how you like it. I might get one myself for a 2nd setup at work :). You can always add a good DAC later. I do recommend a DAC if you don't already have one. SMSL does have some quality issues with their DAC's though, but shenzenaudio is good about returns.

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,973 of 2,435

Very good choice. Dedicated Low or High impedance output and very good SNR. Let me know how you like it. I might get one myself for a 2nd setup at work :). You can always add a good DAC later. I do recommend a DAC if you don't already have one. SMSL does have some quality issues with their DAC's though, but shenzenaudio is good about returns.

Hey man, i heard some people say VA2 not suitable for k612pro coz too much of Low... is it true? hmm... Sadly i don't have the chance to try them... =(

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #1,974 of 2,435

Hey man, i heard some people say VA2 not suitable for k612pro coz too much of Low... is it true? hmm... Sadly i don't have the chance to try them... =(

I have not personally heard the VA2, but most solid states in this price range do add a few db of bass boost. Honestly, I think the K612 is a bit light on the low end, so I would consider that a plus. My TEAC has a tad of bass boost and it's great with the 612, but can get boomy on my DT770. That being said my SAP III is pretty balanced, I think at it's price it's worth giving a try, you can always return it if it's not what you expect.

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,975 of 2,435

I have not personally heard the VA2, but most solid states in this price range do add a few db of bass boost. Honestly, I think the K612 is a bit light on the low end, so I would consider that a plus. My TEAC has a tad of bass boost and it's great with the 612, but can get boomy on my DT770. That being said my SAP III is pretty balanced, I think at it's price it's worth giving a try, you can always return it if it's not what you expect.

ok man thx,,, cheers. =)

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,976 of 2,435
Same here! Best amongst headphone amps I own is the JDS O2. Best headphone amp (of the various I have) which works best with my AKG K612, and it is this the only AKG headphone where I have to utilise the "high gain" setting on the amp, to make it sound best. Otherwise it is quite low and flat sounding.

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,977 of 2,435
Perhaps this may be helpful to some... I just compared K612 against the Phillips Fidelio X2 out of a Fiio X1 on some smooth jazz music (Acoustic Alchemy). I just bought the X1 a few days ago and I am testing this little player extensively at the moment (and like it very much BTW). Technically, the amp in the Fiio X1 is not supposed to provide quite enough juice for the K612, but should be better suited for the lower impedance and higher sensitivity X2. However, I found K612 to be the clear winner with acoustic music on the Fiio X1. K612 sounds significantly cleaner and clearer, with better separation, tighter, more defined bass response, more neutral mids, cleaner, more present and natural treble... X2 sounds very thick and "meaty" by comparison with a strong upper bass, low midrange emphasis. X2 provides a fuller sound, but at the expense of separation, openness, resolution, refinement, articulation, control... K612 simply sounds like a higher end headphone in nearly every way to me and it's under half the price of the X2 new on amazon.com right now. For other music genres and with better sources and amps, the situation may certainly change and X2 might pull ahead with its more full bodied sound and harder hitting bass that may work better for popular music and EDM for example, while better source and amps may add control and clean up the somewhat boomy bass and rough treble that X2 produces out of the Fiio X1. However, I doubt that the X2 will ever match the openness, neutrality, resolution and overall clarity and speed of the K612. On a purely technical level, K612 is the better headphone IMO. In fact, I feel that K612 can go toe to toe with the HD800 out of my Fiio X5 + Objective 2. I even prefer K612 to HD800 for some music. I can't praise the K612 enough for the insane price/performance ratio that it has at its current pricing. I doubt that there's any other headphone under $200 that can match the K612 in sound quality. I actually think that the AKG K700 series are not really better either, just different, with more emphasis on soundstage and upper range clarity in exchange for fuller body and more satisfying bass presence that the K612 offers. I prefer K612 because of its fuller sound and it's the most balanced sounding AKG headphone to my ears.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,978 of 2,435
Perhaps this may be helpful to some... I just compared K612 against the Phillips Fidelio X2 out of a Fiio X1 on some smooth jazz music (Acoustic Alchemy). I just bought the X1 a few days ago and I am testing this little player extensively at the moment (and like it very much BTW). Technically, the amp in the Fiio X1 is not supposed to provide quite enough juice for the K612, but should be better suited for the lower impedance and higher sensitivity X2. However, I found K612 to be the clear winner with acoustic music on the Fiio X1. K612 sounds significantly cleaner and clearer, with better separation, tighter, more defined bass response, more neutral mids, cleaner, more present and natural treble... X2 sounds very thick and "meaty" by comparison with a strong upper bass, low midrange emphasis. X2 provides a fuller sound, but at the expense of separation, openness, resolution, refinement, articulation, control... K612 simply sounds like a higher end headphone in nearly every way to me and it's under half the price of the X2 new on amazon.com right now. For other music genres and with better sources and amps, the situation may certainly change and X2 might pull ahead with its more full bodied sound and harder hitting bass that may work better for popular music and EDM for example, while better source and amps may add control and clean up the somewhat boomy bass and rough treble that X2 produces out of the Fiio X1. However, I doubt that the X2 will ever match the openness, neutrality, resolution and overall clarity and speed of the K612. On a purely technical level, K612 is the better headphone IMO. In fact, I feel that K612 can go toe to toe with the HD800 out of my Fiio X5 + Objective 2. I even prefer K612 to HD800 for some music. I can't praise the K612 enough for the insane price/performance ratio that it has at its current pricing. I doubt that there's any other headphone under $200 that can match the K612 in sound quality. I actually think that the AKG K700 series are not really better either, just different, with more emphasis on soundstage and upper range clarity in exchange for fuller body and more satisfying bass presence that the K612 offers. I prefer K612 because of its fuller sound and it's the most balanced sounding AKG headphone to my ears.
Definetely Sounds like you amlification is not suitable to X2:wink: Everybody say similiar things about hd600/650 with low end amps and then they upgrade to something like BH Crack and Zana deus ex, everybody is blown away. I read in forums that people prefer x2 over 7xx which is higher end cans than 612.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,979 of 2,435
Definetely Sounds like you amlification is not suitable to X2:wink: Everybody say similiar things about hd600/650 with low end amps and then they upgrade to something like BH Crack and Zana deus ex, everybody is blown away. I read in forums that people prefer x2 over 7xx which is higher end cans than 612.

O2 is not a low end amp.. and price tag doesn't always reflect the better performer in this hobby..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back