AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Sep 15, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,996 of 2,435
  Hello everyone, I'm thinking of getting the K612 Pro for my first open back purchase and just wondering how the vocals sound on it (as I am especially picky on the vocals section), is it anything like the Audio Technica MSR7?

Going from AKG k171's (the really old ones), well FIRST I found I had to buy a headphone amp (rude shock!), and THEN it sounded really brittle on the high end, almost painful....however, it looks like you really do have to 'burn them in' for a couple of months or something...now they're by far the best headphones I've ever listened to (not that that's saying much!).  My closed back K271 mkii's sound positively muddy by comparison. My sweet old k171's still need a soldering job (if I can find the diagrams), but am really really pleased with that purchase. Just such a crying shame about the fixed cord! That really means they have to stay at home...still tempted by semi-open pair of cans (whether Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser etc)...but for the money. Wow great deal! Note not the biggest bass (good for gaming, but maybe not like the beyer's, tho have yet to try them. I don't think you'll be disappointed tho (but they need some juice!)...

For vocals (I listen mostly to jazz, both vocal/ensemble, and then occasionally to some heavier stuff depending on mood)...it should be spot on, but the first 4-6 months could well have you wondering...it's a very (maybe a bit too much!) detailed pair of cans and not very flattering if the talent is off..ditto those recording. Cheaper (and smoother) cans are very likely more flattering in the beginning...but the k612's do grow on you after a while....

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,997 of 2,435
Yes I found the k612 very bright and harsh at first and I regretted buying them. They hurt my ears and I couldn't listen to music. They were fine for gaming though so after 3 months of gaming and occasional music they seem much nicer. Highs no longer kill my ears and now I'm listening to music more and more. Sounds good :)

I also switched from an Aune T1 mkII to a Fiio E10k which made the highs less harsh. E10k sounds great.

After another month or two of use I might switch back to the Aune to see if it's comfortable to listen to after the headphones are well and truly broken in

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #1,998 of 2,435
I suppose some people may find K612 a bit harsh due to a slight emphasis around the 2kHz mark. I don't think they have excessive energy anywhere else in the treble. I found the Q701 brighter and harsher than K612, to the point of sounding unnatural and irritating. K612 doesn't have such a problem to my ears and only sounds mildly forward and very slightly thin and shouty around the 2 kHz mark. However, I don't listen to heavy genres of music, as I prefer jazz, classical, instrumental, easy rock, pop... If you listen to metal and hard rock, I can see how K612 may seem harsher for you than it does to me with my music tastes. Source and amp certainly matters as well and pairing the AKGs with a bright amp and/or DAC is not a great idea. I also agree that K612 requires solid amplification to sound great, perhaps more so than my HD600.

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,999 of 2,435
I'm really liking my k612 with my Schiit Vali and Bravo Ocean amp, both are $120 amps that are breathtakingly seducing with the k612 (just using the DX50 line-out). I prefer the Bravo Ocean as it pairs well with the hd650 as well and has a slightly wider soundstage.

Now my question for the thread, who has heard the 612s bass modded and preferred stock? As is there's enough bass to satisfy but I'm wondering if anyone did a halfway bass mod by piercing the bass mod sticker and found it a nice boost without overly changing the phone's sound signature. I've had the Q701 before, went full bass mod but thought it was overly boosted and took away some of the bright things about the Qs (literally and figuratively).

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #2,001 of 2,435
I don't find then hard to drive, actuallyacceptable sound out of my phone. With that said, i know firsthand they're great out of the Vali, Bravo Ocean, Cayin C5, and best of all the Project Sunrise 3.
I read much of this thread and others , but I still am not clarified which amplifiers are well working with the K612 Pro and have enough power to drive them properly ? ? 

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,002 of 2,435
  I read much of this thread and others , but I still am not clarified which amplifiers are well working with the K612 Pro and have enough power to drive them properly ? ? 

I suggest the Fiio E12 amp with the K612 Pro headphones. They have great synergy together. The E12 is a great amp for the 150 dollar price point. It offers more than enough power at 880 mW. It pairs perfectly with these headphones. This is what I am currently running myself. HT OMEGA Claro Plus Sound Card, Fiio E12 Amp, K612 Pro headphones. The result from this ? A very nice sounding setup for the price. It is as simple as that. I could go into the specs, but there is no need. People need to start using google to do their own research. It is not hard to do this. If you want to avoid doing the research, just buy the Fiio E12. You will find it does the job perfectly, and pairs well with these headphones, case closed.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #2,003 of 2,435
Thank you for your straight and informative answer, DW ! It 's important to have info directly from the user , unlike many posts on the net . The E12 could be indeed a fair choice and a good price.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,004 of 2,435
  Thank you for your straight and informative answer, DW ! It 's important to have info directly from the user , unlike many posts on the net . The E12 could be indeed a fair choice and a good price.

If you buy the Fiio E12, I guarantee you will be impressed with it. It drives the K612 Pro perfectly. It is 150 bucks well spent. Your search will be over, and you will be very happy.
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #2,006 of 2,435
I used a Mayflower O2 and e10k with out only (no amp out). Its been amazing. Low gain mode on O2 can drive to pain if thats how you roll. (Only recommended for the mostly deaf metal head like me). O2 is the way. Don't intentionally add distortion to your music, use solid state amps!!

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,007 of 2,435
Yes I found the k612 very bright and harsh at first and I regretted buying them. They hurt my ears and I couldn't listen to music. They were fine for gaming though so after 3 months of gaming and occasional music they seem much nicer. Highs no longer kill my ears and now I'm listening to music more and more. Sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

Same.  I HIGHLY recommend that any new user give these some time before deciding if they like them or not.  I even legit thought I may have been sold a fake pair or something at first, I was like no way this brand with this highly regarded model could possibly sound this bad.  Turns out they just needed some getting used to.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back