AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Dec 5, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2,027 of 2,435
I can now report that the little dot I+ is perfect for the K612 (IMHO). Changed the opamp for an OPA2107AP (Burr Brown version) and currently still on stock tubes (until the Mullard and Voshkod ones I've ordered turn up) and even with the stock valves it really lets the K612 shine.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #2,028 of 2,435
I can now report that the little dot I+ is perfect for the K612 (IMHO). Changed the opamp for an OPA2107AP (Burr Brown version) and currently still on stock tubes (until the Mullard and Voshkod ones I've ordered turn up) and even with the stock valves it really lets the K612 shine.

Also have k612 and little dot 1+. Does any change is need if I change the opamp on little dot 1+?

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #2,029 of 2,435
Hi everyone !

I'm very interesting by the 612, but I red that this one could sound agressive, sibilant and bass-light.  I have an AKG K545 that I love, and I would know if the 612 offer as many basses ?
I also had a Q701 for a moment, and I found it to be very bass-light and totally lacking impact.  Is the 612 better here ?

Thank you, and sorry for my English, if it's not correct...

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #2,030 of 2,435
I would recommend the K612 Pro with the bass mod, it is a very well rounded phone with it. The Q701 are bass shy if not properly amped but if you bass mod then it gets too overwhelming IMO. The K612 Pro with the bass mod has a more controlled bass due to a smaller bass port. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #2,031 of 2,435
I owned several akgs (k400, k601, k240)
and i got a k545 about 4 weeks ago and i was really surprised how much sub bass it has.
up bass is about the some i'd say but if you are looking for that sub bass like the k545 has, you will be dissapointed with the the k601 (k612 should have a little bit more from what i've heard)
I still love my k601 and also k400 which have definitly not very much bass

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #2,033 of 2,435
Look up the bass mod for them, the added bass will make them more "full" while keeping the characteristics of the mids and highs.
Got the K612 a day ago. I like the sound, but it seems to be not very "full" enough sounding, it's a little thin. And there's also a slight hissing in the sound.
I do like the crispness of the sound.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #2,034 of 2,435
  Got the K612 a day ago. I like the sound, but it seems to be not very "full" enough sounding, it's a little thin. And there's also a slight hissing in the sound.
I do like the crispness of the sound.

What do you drive them with? Mine have nice low end and absolutely no hiss unless it appears in the recording.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,035 of 2,435
One of the best headphones in the 150 EUR price range. It needs some time if they are at full blossom, but meanwhile one of my alltime favorites
k701smile.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,036 of 2,435
  What do you drive them with? Mine have nice low end and absolutely no hiss unless it appears in the recording.

I use the thing in my avatar (STX II). I actually swapped the opamps now because I knew the Muses 8920 opamps gave more forward highs than the smoother LME49720s, and a lot of the "hiss" now seems to be gone. Still, with certain songs it's clear there's just more presence in the vocals (vocals do sound very good on this headphone though) as well as the highs, and it's very thin in the lows. It shouldn't be due to the 10 Ohm output impedance of the STX, since the AKG is about 120-130 Ohm so it should be fine, in theory. Probably I'll try the onboard sound which has a 2 Ohm output impedance, see if it's different there.

Don't wanna do a bass mod right away, although I might consider it some time, because apart from the bass I do like most of the sound signature, it's a very relaxing sound (would be even more relaxing with more bass though..).

Much nicer sounding at least than the 598 (except that one had a more exciting soundstage probably). Also had a AD500X, which I liked, so I'm thinking of getting maybe a higher version (700/900) of that one and compare it with this K612 (although those will probably also be a bit bass light).

Oh one more thing, that head band What... (This is my first AKG phone) Who on AKG thought this thing would be comfortable on someone's head?? lol
Although luckily those are more easily modded :p

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,038 of 2,435
^Ooh, they're expensive.. Might try them some day when I get bored, thanks for the tip.

Anyway, after a few days of use I'm liking the K612 a lot, and the bass lightness is not really bothering me anymore. Also, it seems that the sound can only be fatiguing with bad or very compressed mp3s, with lossless or 320-mp3s it sounds a lot cleaner in the mids/highs, and the lows seem more present. So this is not a very forgiving headphone, I like that!

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #2,039 of 2,435
  ^Ooh, they're expensive.. Might try them some day when I get bored, thanks for the tip.

Anyway, after a few days of use I'm liking the K612 a lot, and the bass lightness is not really bothering me anymore. Also, it seems that the sound can only be fatiguing with bad or very compressed mp3s, with lossless or 320-mp3s it sounds a lot cleaner in the mids/highs, and the lows seem more present. So this is not a very forgiving headphone, I like that!

I find the K612's to be the most truthful headphone in my collection in regards to whats actually being played; all my other headphones seem more colored or tilted in one way or another

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,040 of 2,435
  I owned several akgs (k400, k601, k240)
and i got a k545 about 4 weeks ago and i was really surprised how much sub bass it has.
up bass is about the some i'd say but if you are looking for that sub bass like the k545 has, you will be dissapointed with the the k601 (k612 should have a little bit more from what i've heard)
I still love my k601 and also k400 which have definitly not very much bass

Thank you for the comparison  !

Compared to AKG K545, did you find that K601 seemed to be more agressive and sibilant ?  Or the Treble and Medium quantify is the same ?
Otherwise, the soundstage is really bigger compared to K545, or it plays in the same league ?  

Thanks to others members for the precisions !  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back