AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Nov 9, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,014 of 2,435
my sansa clip drive them just fine, when somebody says that they are hard to drive i don't know what he is taking about, yes they are harder to drive than portable headphones but with small dac-amp combo like dragonfly they are loud enough

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #2,015 of 2,435
  I'll wait for a couple more owners to chirp in, from what I read, I thought it wouldnt and was about to go the sennheiser hd 5x8 route.

They do scale to nicer quality amps like my Project Sunrise 3 with a linear power supply and a nice tube, I think that's what people mean. To say they can't be driven with a Dragonfly is ludicrous, my cell phone drives them decently.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2,016 of 2,435
  Any chance that the k612 would work well with an Audioquest Dragonfly alone? I do not want to buy an amp at the moment.

For sure. The Dragofly is no slouch at 125mw@32Ohm. I suspect that's peak power, not RMS, but still plenty.

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #2,017 of 2,435
Thanks for all the replies. One more question if y'all don't mind. With closed AKGs, you cannot really use glasses as they break the seal of the cups and make them sound off. Does anyone use the 612s with plastic rims, do the pads shape around the arms or cause problems otherwise?

cheers! d

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #2,021 of 2,435
AKG? Not my cup of tea! Well, that was yesterday! Meanwhile I have the 240(various specifications), 301, 530, 141, bought the 701 on a bargain sale and last not least the 612 Pro was on sale in the UK for a song and a dance(well nearly). To make it short. If the 702 is way to expensive for you give the 612 a chance. There are not that much differences, expect for the price. You can keep your glasses on as well
beyersmile.png

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,022 of 2,435
Each time I think I've found a good amp, I see someone else suggest something else :/

Anyway, I've got an Astro Mixamp and a Fiio E10k that I've been using with my K612's. However I realised last night that I could plug the Mixamp into my PC through USB, Xbox One using optical and I wouldn't need the E10k and so I'm happier having one less device.

But that's got me wondering if the Mixamp is getting the best out of the K612's to begin with. So I've looked at a few options having read numerous forum posts and it seems these might be worth considering:

- Sound Blaster E5
- Audioengine D1
- Asus Xonar U7

Bear in mind that I'd need an amp which I can connect my Xbox One using optical to, and also the PC (maybe just using USB again?). It would also be great if I could connect my Edifier R1600t speakers and really have just one box to control my audio but not sure if I'm asking too much.

Any suggestions? Anyone else using K612's with a PC and console and have a good experience with a particular amp?

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2,023 of 2,435
I was using K612 directly with Audioengine D1 (USB) for daily listening and like it because I can hardly get tired of the sound. They sound comfortable so on the other hand, no surprising sounds. For me, Audioengine D1 is pretty natural and clear, although it doesn't provide the deepest bass of K612. I have tried adding a Little Dot 1+ (408A tube) amp. The bass and image work much better but that is too warm and too much bass for me. So I still go with the D1 alone paring my K612.
k701smile.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #2,024 of 2,435
Just received my K612 today, Running through a Fiio E10K at number 6 on low gain.

Very happy. I was looking for an open back to complement my K550 and looks like I've got it.

Currently thinking I may get a Bravo Audio V2, do the transistor mods and get a Sylvania or Mullard tube for it and see how good these sound then.

It's either that or save up a bit more for a Little Dot 1+

As I currently have 100hz down boosted by about 4db I think the Little Dot may be perfect based on the above post. I do love however that even with the boosted bass the separation is still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back