AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Aug 23, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,981 of 2,435
Beware of people commenting on the O2 with HD600\650. I have the O2 and also the HD600, the O2 sounds great with all my other headphones except the HD600. Just a synergy issue perhaps but my HD600 sounds fine with all my amps except O2 and the O2 sounds excellent with all my hp's except Hd600
confused.gif

I think the O2 is a great little amp and when you factor in price it's even better!

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #1,982 of 2,435
O2 amps and the k612 are a match. No quesrion. As to what else it works with... from my experience all studio monitor style headphones. Sony mdr 7506. Amazing. Neutral accurate headphones will come alive with this. With O2 you will hear what was in the music. Not what the amp 'adds'.

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,983 of 2,435
  Beware of people commenting on the O2 with HD600\650. I have the O2 and also the HD600, the O2 sounds great with all my other headphones except the HD600. Just a synergy issue perhaps but my HD600 sounds fine with all my amps except O2 and the O2 sounds excellent with all my hp's except Hd600
confused.gif

I think the O2 is a great little amp and when you factor in price it's even better!

I think my HD600 sounds great with my O2. I have no issues with this pairing. What was it exactly that you didn't like about it? It could also be a synergy issue with your DAC. Which DAC are you using to feed the O2? I am mostly using Fiio X5 or Essence STX, both of which use PCM1792A DAC.

BTW, I do prefer HD600 with O2 over K612 with O2. HD600 just sounds a bit more natural with more depth to the sound, fuller body, a bit more transparency... K612 is absolutely fantastic for the price and comes very close to HD600 in sound quality, but is not quite there, at least not out of the O2 + Fiio X5/Essence STX. Perhaps K612 will work better with a different amp. I think it can surpass HD600 in some aspects, such as instrument separation and bass depth... The AKGs may need a good tube amp to give their sound a bit more body and richness. Can't say K612 lacks body in absolute terms, just in comparison with HD600. Compared to Q701 however, K612 sounds fuller with more appropriate warmth and pretty much none of the unnatural upper midrange glare/boost that the Q701 has to my ears.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,984 of 2,435
First let me say I love my HD600's and enjoy the O2. Another member made some over the top negative comments on the O2/HD600 pairing and having both but never pairing them together I had to try thinking he must be completely wrong. Unfortunately he was somewhat correct but I do not think it sounded as bad as he was describing. 
I usually pair my HD600 with my Keces HA-171 amp and Maverick Audio D2 DAC but also listen to them on another setup I have for my DT880's which is a LD MK III amp and Beresford Bushmaster MK II DAC setup. On both these systems the HD600 sounds absolutely fantastic. After reading those comments I setup the O2 with my NAD c542 (don't believe I used an external DAC) and the sound was grainy and lacking with the HD600, I never heard them sound that poorly. It may have been the DAC in the NAD player that didn't play nice with the HD600 but either way when I switched back to the other setups the sound was again glorious! 
I still have my O2 and it sounds fine with all my other hp's so this is not an issue for me and after hearing other members pairing them together successfully it must have been a synergy issue. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #1,985 of 2,435
It has been a while since I posted on here. I am no longer using the Racoon SG300 tube amp/dac combo with my K612. I ended up selling it, and I bought a Fiio E12. I have the following setup. HT OMEGA Claro Plus card, Fiio E12, K612 Pro. I have to say that the synergy with this setup is much better. In my opinion, I think that tube amps are a totally wrong fit with the K612. Once you connect these headphones to a tube amp, it brings in some extra warmth, but also totally takes away the top end detail. I have to say that anyone who has not tried the Fiio E12 with the K612 to give it a try. It is a perfect amp to use with these headphones. I highly recommend it.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,987 of 2,435
Mayflower o2 amp. 130 bucks. Save yer nickles. Never need another headphone amp again.

The standard version is on sale for 99.98, shipping (about $10 US priority mail) and batteries (about $10) not included: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/.

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #1,988 of 2,435

The standard version is on sale for 99.98, shipping (about $10 US priority mail) and batteries (about $10) not included: https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/.

For what it's worth I ordered the Mayflower O2 and had issues ordered one from JDS Labs and it worked perfect until I sold it.

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,989 of 2,435
Strange as it may seem (have k612's and k271 mkii's, and had my babies the k171 old-skools, which need yet another soldering job! diagram someone?), my wireless POS k912 aren't sounding half bad for what they are...can wander pretty far (up two stories, out on the balcony etc) and the sound isn't terrible. Depends on interference, and there is a bit of wireless noise...but not too shabby for a hundred bucks. Still want to try the Beyerdynamics tho! for gaming. They are supposed to be the thing (the closed-back versions). 

Straight to a ROG phoebus, although my proper cans go through that to a V-Can v1....dunno iff there's any difference listening to spotify/youtube....don't have a hifi/flac subscription yet...spotify is expensive enough (100 nok/month!)...

as someone who noodles on gittar...tubes sound awesome! But without proper source material, can't see myself spending lots of cash on a headphone amp for 5-600 or whatever most head-fiers spend these days...my k612's were EXTREMELY brittle to start with, almost painful, until I gave them a few months to warm up...now they're the bomb! Even through solid-state old v-cans...still think semi-open cans are the way to go (like my beloved k171's!)...best of both worlds...albeit accuracy and soundstage of open cans may be better (only ever tried k612's)....

Edit: the k612's, as good as they are, not having removable cable is almost a deal-breaker..but they were that much cheaper...

Edit2: have a M-audio Black box from the gittar days, which also has a pretty decent DAC...but frankly starting to wonder whether I could tell the difference between my Phoebus, M-audio, and onboard realtek...my little bro who's a piano teacher collects DAC's (he has a museum of DACs and laptops! at least 8 of each!)...frankly a bit sceptical! Whatever....haha...

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,990 of 2,435
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of getting the K612 Pro for my first open back purchase and just wondering how the vocals sound on it (as I am especially picky on the vocals section), is it anything like the Audio Technica MSR7?

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,991 of 2,435
  Hello everyone, I'm thinking of getting the K612 Pro for my first open back purchase and just wondering how the vocals sound on it (as I am especially picky on the vocals section), is it anything like the Audio Technica MSR7?

K612 pro has fantastic mids as long as you feed it good quality recordings and power it well with a good amp and DAC. K612 is somewhat hard to drive due to its 120 Ohm impedance combined with pretty low sensitivity. The mids that it produces are very refined, articulate, a bit forward and exciting with a very natural timbre and very high detail resolution. Vocals certainly sound great through the AKGs - very present and realistic.

Compared to MSR7, I think K612 is the more natural and effortless sounding headphone. With K612 you will get a much greater sense of space and instrument separation than what the MSR7 is capable of. This is not surprising considering that the AKG is an open back and the Audio Technica is closed back. K612 also sounds more dynamic and more tonally balanced than MSR7. I find MSR7 to be well balanced, but just a bit lacking in bass weight and lower midrange presence. and a little too forward in the mid to upper midrange. K612 is more neutral to my ears, especially in the bass and lower mids, which have more appropriate weight and presence on the AKGs. The rest of the midrange is also just a bit more even on the K612 I think, although it does have a bit of a boost in the mid to upper midrange, sort of like the MSR7, but less pronounced, which I think is a good thing - it makes the mids more exciting to listen to.

The treble is a bit clearer and more resolving on the MSR7 I believe, but just a bit. Both have excellent treble quality and close to neutral quantity. K612 has treble resolution of a solid mid level $300-$500 open back headphone. MSR7 has treble quality that rivals headphones closer to the $1k range and maybe even higher. However, MSR7 is a closed back headphone and doesn't have the spatial qualities of good open back headphones, so while its treble is extremely good, it still can't make it as open sounding as the good open backs. K612 doesn't quite match MSR7's treble quality, but it still has a more spacious and open sound.

Overall, I would consider the K612 a nice upgrade over MSR7 for relaxed listening at home/in a quiet, calm environment. MSR7 is more forward and exciting to listen to, but it just can't match the effortless dynamics, spaciousness and seamless tonal balance of the K612. To put it another way, MSR7 sounds like it's a very capable headphone, but one that is also trying to show off everything that it's got in a rather aggressive, "in your face" manner. I would say the MSR7 is a bit rude and arrogant... childish perhaps?
smily_headphones1.gif
K612, on the other hand, is far "calmer" than MSR7. It sounds more nature, relaxed, subtle... But also has more "swing" and expression. So if MSR7 is a very talented, but mentally unstable 16 year old teen, the K612 is more like a generally mature and well behaved, although slightly less talented 20 year old young adult. I say generally mature, because the K612 still has some emphasis in the mids that make it just a bit more forward and exciting  than a perfectly neutral headphone (something like HD800 or HE-500 - those crazy talented, but very mature and reserved 30-somethings
smile.gif
).

Sep 5, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,992 of 2,435

K612 pro has fantastic mids as long as you feed it good quality recordings and power it well with a good amp and DAC. K612 is somewhat hard to drive due to its 120 Ohm impedance combined with pretty low sensitivity. The mids that it produces are very refined, articulate, a bit forward and exciting with a very natural timbre and very high detail resolution. Vocals certainly sound great through the AKGs - very present and realistic.

Compared to MSR7, I think K612 is the more natural and effortless sounding headphone. With K612 you will get a much greater sense of space and instrument separation than what the MSR7 is capable of. This is not surprising considering that the AKG is an open back and the Audio Technica is closed back. K612 also sounds more dynamic and more tonally balanced than MSR7. I find MSR7 to be well balanced, but just a bit lacking in bass weight and lower midrange presence. and a little too forward in the mid to upper midrange. K612 is more neutral to my ears, especially in the bass and lower mids, which have more appropriate weight and presence on the AKGs. The rest of the midrange is also just a bit more even on the K612 I think, although it does have a bit of a boost in the mid to upper midrange, sort of like the MSR7, but less pronounced, which I think is a good thing - it makes the mids more exciting to listen to.

The treble is a bit clearer and more resolving on the MSR7 I believe, but just a bit. Both have excellent treble quality and close to neutral quantity. K612 has treble resolution of a solid mid level $300-$500 open back headphone. MSR7 has treble quality that rivals headphones closer to the $1k range and maybe even higher. However, MSR7 is a closed back headphone and doesn't have the spatial qualities of good open back headphones, so while its treble is extremely good, it still can't make it as open sounding as the good open backs. K612 doesn't quite match MSR7's treble quality, but it still has a more spacious and open sound.

Overall, I would consider the K612 a nice upgrade over MSR7 for relaxed listening at home/in a quiet, calm environment. MSR7 is more forward and exciting to listen to, but it just can't match the effortless dynamics, spaciousness and seamless tonal balance of the K612. To put it another way, MSR7 sounds like it's a very capable headphone, but one that is also trying to show off everything that it's got in a rather aggressive, "in your face" manner. I would say the MSR7 is a bit rude and arrogant... childish perhaps?
smily_headphones1.gif
K612, on the other hand, is far "calmer" than MSR7. It sounds more nature, relaxed, subtle... But also has more "swing" and expression. So if MSR7 is a very talented, but mentally unstable 16 year old teen, the K612 is more like a generally mature and well behaved, although slightly less talented 20 year old young adult. I say generally mature, because the K612 still has some emphasis in the mids that make it just a bit more forward and exciting  than a perfectly neutral headphone (something like HD800 or HE-500 - those crazy talented, but very mature and reserved 30-somethings
smile.gif
).

Thank you very much for a great description, I do agree that the MSR7 lacks a little energy in the bass so I have to turn the volume up quite high to get a sound that's a bit more filled in. A little increase in the bass is very welcomed.  

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,993 of 2,435

For what it's worth I ordered the Mayflower O2 and had issues ordered one from JDS Labs and it worked perfect until I sold it.

My Mayflower O2 works perfectly.  I am particularly happy to have an amplifier that does not exhibit channel imbalance even at very low volumes; I suspect that this is true of all properly working O2 amplifiers. I do not know whether Mayflower and JDS have a similar record with quality control, etc; I am just reporting my own experience.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,995 of 2,435
  Hi Guys

I want to upgrade from my Audio technica M50 and K612 seems a good choice to me. Can Fiio E10k drives K612? is it a good pairing? How about Bravo Audio V2?

Yes the E10 and V2 can power it. I would stick to solid state (E10) though. Lower end tube amps like the V2 have lower SNR (more distortion) and it can be heard pretty clearly on an analytic headphone like the 612.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back