AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jun 14, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,937 of 2,435
I have noticed the K612Pro and DT- 880 600Ohm do sound different with various amps. My K612 Pro's don't seem as picky as the Beyer's. I enjoy the sound of my Beyer's more from higher end equipment that I own. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,943 of 2,435
I just joined the club =) K612's came in 4 days ago--they're absolutely amazing! Also my first real headphone as what I've been using for the past 4 years were...........I'm afraid of saying it.... Logitech G930's (wireless """""gaymen"""" headphones) they're sooooo good. However when playing CS:GO the awp and deagle sound a bit distorted, really intense bass, also they're hard to drive my scarlett 2i2 just about cuts it.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,944 of 2,435
  I just joined the club =) K612's came in 4 days ago--they're absolutely amazing! Also my first real headphone as what I've been using for the past 4 years were...........I'm afraid of saying it.... Logitech G930's (wireless """""gaymen"""" headphones) they're sooooo good. However when playing CS:GO the awp and deagle sound a bit distorted, really intense bass, also they're hard to drive my scarlett 2i2 just about cuts it.

I had the same issue with this headphone while listening to Ozric Tentacles (one of my favorite bands) I heard strange distortions that didn't seem to be present on my other headphones. I ended up trying them with several different amps and finally with my Keces HA-171 the distortions seemed to almost disappeared. I still own the K612 but can say they are picky with not only amps but also DAC's. Keep pairing them with different equipment and hopefully you hit a match. If you can't pair them with different equipment I would suggest selling them off for something that pairs better and isn't quite so picky. Had I not heard them with the Keces I would have already sold them. If you do find a match they are very nice though. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,946 of 2,435
  I had the same issue with this headphone while listening to Ozric Tentacles (one of my favorite bands) I heard strange distortions that didn't seem to be present on my other headphones. I ended up trying them with several different amps and finally with my Keces HA-171 the distortions seemed to almost disappeared. I still own the K612 but can say they are picky with not only amps but also DAC's. Keep pairing them with different equipment and hopefully you hit a match. If you can't pair them with different equipment I would suggest selling them off for something that pairs better and isn't quite so picky. Had I not heard them with the Keces I would have already sold them. If you do find a match they are very nice though. 

Haha if I had the money. And to be quite honest it doesn't bother me thaaat much, they're just too perfect in almost all areas especially for the price.... I tried the fidelio x1 (20 euros more than my akgs) didnt like them as much... I think I'll just stick with my k612's

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,949 of 2,435
Yes the 612 is among the most honest (accurate). Any coloration or distortion you hear is usually from badly produced sources, or down the line (amp/dac). Software EQ or artificial effects (including 3D effects) from audio drivers can have a negative effect too. I recommend turning all that stuff off for the best results, these headphones don't need it. Go straight stereo at the highest bitrate you can with no EQing or effects. If you have preset modes like "Music, Movie, Game" it's using software effects.

Bass is the most noticeable improvement when driven properly with a nice amp. It becomes fuller and more present. It does benefit from maybe +2-4db of bass boost in my opinion. Beyond that you would likely start to distort at high volumes. Nicer DAC's tend to improve things like imaging, soundstage, and overall detail retrieval. Especially the 32bit ones with a dedicated chip for each channel. You need good high bitrate sources to really hear the difference with those DAC's though.

Congrats on your purchase. Cheers,

-Rigo

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,950 of 2,435
AKG K6 / K7 series, are the best value in headphones right now.  These cans are practically not mid-fi, they're not that far sound quality wise from summit-fi phones, yet their prices are not far away from beginner's phones.

BUY BUY BUY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back