AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Jun 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,922 of 2,435
Anyone know if Magni 2 is good for k612? Just trying to find plenty of options so I can pick best value for money to buy in little ol' New Zealand

Any other suggestions?

Yes. It would have more than enough power.

If you need a DAC as well, might look into the Audio-GD NFB-15.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #1,923 of 2,435
A while ago I bought AKG K612 Pro to be used for gaming and music and I've never been disappointed more - my ~60 dollar Asus Orion headset sounds way better and is way more comfortable than the AKG + it has a mic and volume control.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #1,924 of 2,435
  A while ago I bought AKG K612 Pro to be used for gaming and music and I've never been disappointed more - my ~60 dollar Asus Orion headset sounds way better and is way more comfortable than the AKG + it has a mic and volume control.

Try it with different equipment if you can before making a final decision. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #1,925 of 2,435

Try it with different equipment if you can before making a final decision. 

Agreed. The K612 Pro are difficult to drive. If you are plugging them to standard computer audio, they certainly won't be playing near their potential.

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,926 of 2,435

What specifically didn't you like about the K601s sound?

Jun 5, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,927 of 2,435
k612. Comfort - hard foam earcups that leaves gaps around ear, no cushion on top - had to take it off every 20 mins or so because of pain, sound might be what you call flat - absolutely no joy in listening to anything through these. I was expecting them to be way better than my 2x cheaper gaming headset, but they're not and were returned on the same day. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #1,928 of 2,435
Mine may be the most comfortable cans I have, light clamp and soft pads...didn't like the sound with a couple of my amps but they clicked with others and sounded awesome. The only reason mine are up for sale right now is I have DT880's & HD600's. I've had a few low offers and have no problem keeping these if they don't end up selling. They are picky with DAC's I believe and I feel they like a burly SS amp.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #1,929 of 2,435
  k612. Comfort - hard foam earcups that leaves gaps around ear, no cushion on top - had to take it off every 20 mins or so because of pain, sound might be what you call flat - absolutely no joy in listening to anything through these. I was expecting them to be way better than my 2x cheaper gaming headset, but they're not and were returned on the same day. 

I find the K601s pretty comfy, but that kind of thing depends on the person.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,930 of 2,435

That's great, at least you know you don't need to spend anymore to get what you want now. I know a guy who bought his HD 600 and sold it in favor of his $50 corsair gaming headset too. To each his own. It would save me alot of money if I could be this easily satisfied :p.

Mine may be the most comfortable cans I have, light clamp and soft pads...didn't like the sound with a couple of my amps but they clicked with others and sounded awesome. The only reason mine are up for sale right now is I have DT880's & HD600's. I've had a few low offers and have no problem keeping these if they don't end up selling. They are picky with DAC's I believe and I feel they like a burly SS amp.

I agree these sound better with cleaner, more neutral solid state amps. Maybe a tad of bass boost is ok but that's about it. Since these are so neutral and transparent any coloration like you get with tubes (or low end DAC's) will sound dry and grainy. Any bit of distortion along the line or in recordings comes out crystal clear. This is actually what professionals want in a headphone, but it might not be for everyone. I tried it on a $1200 little dot tube amp (forget the model) at my last head-fi meet and it sounded overly bright and dry. They were better off on my much cheaper TEAC UD-H01. The tube amp worked wonders on my HD 600 though. But there are some newer tube amps that offer a very clean (low distortion), neutral signature like the Schiit Valhala which should work fine too.

It could be my setup and everyone will experience it differently because of this. But the K612 never fails to put a smile on my face in a different way than the HD 600. I can't explain why but I just can't part with it, especially at it's price point.

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,932 of 2,435
Had the K612 Pro for several months and for sure are" burned in" by now. I really like the balance of these cans...good bass/mids/treble. Comfort is also quite good, but not as comfy as my Beyer DT 880's. I used to own the K701's and just didn't find them very good with rock music..but the K612 Pro does rock VERY well.

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,933 of 2,435
  Had the K612 Pro for several months and for sure are" burned in" by now. I really like the balance of these cans...good bass/mids/treble. Comfort is also quite good, but not as comfy as my Beyer DT 880's. I used to own the K701's and just didn't find them very good with rock music..but the K612 Pro does rock VERY well.

How would you compare them sound wise to your dt 880's, especially for rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back