AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Apr 15, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,891 of 2,435
Never tried the K612, but remember loving the K601 years ago.  great phones.

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #1,892 of 2,435

But on the flip side, it doesn't "hit" the way I like bass to hit.  Was listening to this track here

super disappointing.  These headphones just don't do this track justice on any level.

Its like the bass is very controlled, but is lacking body, warmth, and "character, or life", if that makes any sense.  I think a tube amp for this may be something I'd like, as from what I've been reading they seem to add these type of characteristics.  My only worry is how that would affect the musicality of bass guitars.

youtube version of that track sounds very compressed to me.  I managed to listen some of the Grand Agent's tracks on his soundcloud channel, every track sounds fantastic with 612, I don't find it lacking warmth with my setup... with some systems with bad synergy this can sounds too thin and can emphasize the 2k spike and can sounds dry, sometimes you might feel like lacking the warmth, body due to the neutral nature of the headphone.  may be try your 612 with a tube setup if you want more warmth..

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,894 of 2,435
  But on the flip side, it doesn't "hit" the way I like bass to hit.  Was listening to this track here

super disappointing.  These headphones just don't do this track justice on any level.

Its like the bass is very controlled, but is lacking body, warmth, and "character, or life", if that makes any sense.  I think a tube amp for this may be something I'd like, as from what I've been reading they seem to add these type of characteristics.  My only worry is how that would affect the musicality of bass guitars.

I agree with appsmarsterx, had a listen on my system with the K601 and the bass sounded fine. I think it might be due to the balance of the track, making you think you need to turn it down too much to avoid the high end, but if you do you'll lose the punch of the bass. The Barrington Levy track, on the other hand, is more heavily tipped towards the bass (to me it seems a little sloppy), so you can hear it more easily at a lower volume.

I personally love the K601's bass. As appsmarsterx mentioned, it's accurate, textured, and extends well. Give it a good recording and you get both punch and nuance. Give it a bad recording and it can lack oomph, but I'd rather that than have a sloppy, boomy, overemphasised bass which is what a lot of headphones will give you.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,895 of 2,435

An OTL tube amp with a higher output impedance will give a ton of air which may or may not be what you're looking for.  The reduced damping factor can also give the bass a different flavor which you may like better with some music.

If you're into DIY and like the Idea of tubes, the Bottlehead Crack would be a good start.  Even with the extra air, it certainly takes the edge off of my K601s compared to something dead neutral like my Objective2.

You can also get most of the difference with a simple impedance adapter, which is basically just a short extension cable with some inline resistors.  It's best to DIY that kind of thing so you dial it in to your exact preferences.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,896 of 2,435

youtube version of that track sounds very compressed to me.  I managed to listen some of the Grand Agent's tracks on his soundcloud channel, every track sounds fantastic with 612, I don't find it lacking warmth with my setup... with some systems with bad synergy this can sounds too thin and can emphasize the 2k spike and can sounds dry, sometimes you might feel like lacking the warmth, body due to the neutral nature of the headphone.  may be try your 612 with a tube setup if you want more warmth..

I agree with appsmarsterx, had a listen on my system with the K601 and the bass sounded fine. I think it might be due to the balance of the track, making you think you need to turn it down too much to avoid the high end, but if you do you'll lose the punch of the bass. The Barrington Levy track, on the other hand, is more heavily tipped towards the bass (to me it seems a little sloppy), so you can hear it more easily at a lower volume.

I personally love the K601's bass. As appsmarsterx mentioned, it's accurate, textured, and extends well. Give it a good recording and you get both punch and nuance. Give it a bad recording and it can lack oomph, but I'd rather that than have a sloppy, boomy, overemphasised bass which is what a lot of headphones will give you.

oh my bad on the bad youtube vid, I didn't even hear it, since I usually play off of cd I just posted the first hit that came up for it.

I think like someone said earlier, its just a new sound sig for me.  All the "v" sigs I'm used to, mostly from my w3 (since that's what I listen to for multiple hours daily), plus my inner basshead, just have me wanting more volume.  I do agree tho, the bass that is present is very beautiful, and actually I dunno if I'm tripping but these seemed to be a very cold clinical feel to this headphone at first, but its really warming up and sounding more and more musical to me.  I'm also realizing that Grand Agent track might disappoint me a bit cuz when I listen with my w3 the bass line is so in your face and upfront, absolutely steals the show.  But maybe that's a combo of midbass hump and closed in soundstage helping to emphasize the bass, where as the K612 airiness and wide soundstage makes it blend as a part of the track much more rather than being the focus.

I just need to spend more time with these things and learn them a bit more.  I will say tho, to me the vocals to me sound absolutely phenomenal.  I find myself listening to all kindsa music I just usually don't listen to just to appreciate the vocals.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,897 of 2,435

An OTL tube amp with a higher output impedance will give a ton of air which may or may not be what you're looking for.  The reduced damping factor can also give the bass a different flavor which you may like better with some music.

If you're into DIY and like the Idea of tubes, the Bottlehead Crack would be a good start.  Even with the extra air, it certainly takes the edge off of my K601s compared to something dead neutral like my Objective2.

You can also get most of the difference with a simple impedance adapter, which is basically just a short extension cable with some inline resistors.  It's best to DIY that kind of thing so you dial it in to your exact preferences.

Funny you mention this, I'm actually very intrigued by DIY amp kits.  I was looking at project starlight, and others from garage1217, from the sound of it (and I'm pretty ignorant about tube amps, so forgive me if I'm wrong about something) seems very customizable, which is something that appeals to me.

I'm months away from being able to make a purchase like that tho, but yea I been doing some reading up on it.

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #1,898 of 2,435
  I find myself listening to all kindsa music I just usually don't listen to just to appreciate the vocals.

honestly I don't listen to this just to appreciate vocals,  I often listen to wide variety of music with 612.. this is a very technically capable all rounder which can do brilliantly in most genres. try the track 1 and 2 in my earlier post which doesn't involve any vocals.

just give yourself some time to adjust to the neutral sound signature.  

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,899 of 2,435
  Funny you mention this, I'm actually very intrigued by DIY amp kits.  I was looking at project starlight, and others from garage1217, from the sound of it (and I'm pretty ignorant about tube amps, so forgive me if I'm wrong about something) seems very customizable, which is something that appeals to me.

I'm months away from being able to make a purchase like that tho, but yea I been doing some reading up on it.

If you're already inclined to DIY then impedance adapters may be a good start.  A jack, a plug, and a few resistors won't cost you too much.  You can experiment and find a value you like.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,900 of 2,435

honestly I don't listen to this just to appreciate vocals,  I often listen to wide variety of music with 612.. this is a very technically capable all rounder which can do brilliantly in most genres. try the track 1 and 2 in my earlier post which doesn't involve any vocals.

just give yourself some time to adjust to the neutral sound signature.  

Oh yea I heard them, they sound great :)

I get what ur saying about the bass "texture" being nice, it really does sound great, I just want more more more!! lol, I initially came up in car audio, so maybe thats where my basshead tendencies come from haha.

I also agree with needing time, even with only about 20 hours I'm feeling very different about this headphone.  At first I was actually a little worried that maybe I got a fake pair or something, like it just sounded so thin and cold compared to what I was used to, but the more my head gets used to it, the more I appreciate the beauty of this headphone.  I'm also realizing just how "colored" my w3 is, which is probably what lead me to having those initial thoughts about this K612.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #1,901 of 2,435

If you're already inclined to DIY then impedance adapters may be a good start.  A jack, a plug, and a few resistors won't cost you too much.  You can experiment and find a value you like.

Thanks for the heads up, I look into it n see what's up.  I'm literally starting from square one regarding diy amps, so sounds like a good starting point for me.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,902 of 2,435
If anyone is interested I'm selling my K612's purchased new October of 2014. They sound great from my Keces amp but with the HD600, DT880 and ATH-AD900 I can't justify keeping them. Make me an offer if you would like. I have all the original packaging also.

May 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,903 of 2,435
These cans' bass output is quite eq/amp dependent. After listening on a modded G3 and a Project Horizon for several weeks, anything south of 1KHz is thin unless it's EQ'd up, or the amp is bassy. With the Project Horizon, I prefer EQing. With the G3, I prefer a warm, smooth 6922 or an RCA Cleartop 12AU7. But you know, it's all good...

If I had to classify the K612Pro by musical genre, I'd say they are "classical" cans. Out of the box, without any flavoring, most folks won't like them for much else...

May 7, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,904 of 2,435
Yikes, has been a while since I posted. Well, in my testing, I have to say that running my K612 with my Racoon SG300 tube amp/dac is just not the right sound for me. I tested out the headphones on a friends Fiio E09K connected to my HT OMEGA Claro Plus sound card and damn, what a difference. It just completely opened things right up, and gave the treble some much improved detail. I think for people finding these headphones to sound veiled, they should try a different amp. It is quite shocking what changing equipment will do to the K612. On a side note as well, I got to hear a pair of the DT880 Pro 250 ohm recently as well. Oh man, the sound quality was so much more balanced than the DT770 Pro 250 ohm I used to own. I was really impressed with it. Tighter, less bloated and boomy, more controlled bass, better soundstage, much improved mids, and far more refined upper treble detail than the DT770 Pro ever was. I definitely need to get a pair in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back