AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Mar 29, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #181 of 2,435
I prefer the K601. The DT880 has a lot more bass and not as good sound stage. I call them my bass head cans, even though for a true bass head they probably aren't that good. I wouldn't want any more bass though.

They're both good and I listen to both every day, but I prefer the AKG sound to most other dynamic headphones.

What recommendation did you think you'd get on the K601 thread
biggrin.gif
I bet you'd get the opposite answer on the Beyer thread.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #182 of 2,435
When I was shopping for phones, I compared them listening through a tube amp. With vocals, the 880 sounded very bright and irritating in the top-end. The 601's seemed about spot-on. Not as detailed as the 701's, but that would make them a more comfortable all-around set of headphones.

Mar 29, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #184 of 2,435
Hmm but will my Denon DAC be worse than my Creative Soundblaster DAC :|. I mean the Airhead amp doesn't have a DAC in it, so then I would go from soundblaster->airhead->denon ?(I don't get why I would need to add a receiver after my amplifier?)

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #185 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the K601. The DT880 has a lot more bass and not as good sound stage. I call them my bass head cans, even though for a true bass head they probably aren't that good. I wouldn't want any more bass though.

They're both good and I listen to both every day, but I prefer the AKG sound to most other dynamic headphones.

What recommendation did you think you'd get on the K601 thread
biggrin.gif
I bet you'd get the opposite answer on the Beyer thread.

Had DT880 '05 and K601 side by side, and IME K601 had more bass. It was more stout and fullbodied down there, while exact quantity didnt differ THAT much. What the...?

Mar 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #186 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had DT880 '05 and K601 side by side, and IME K601 had more bass. It was more stout and fullbodied down there, while exact quantity didnt differ THAT much. What the...?

x2. I thought the K601 was clean-sounding till I heard the DT-880 that took my understanding of 'clean' to a different level.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #187 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm but will my Denon DAC be worse than my Creative Soundblaster DAC :|. I mean the Airhead amp doesn't have a DAC in it, so then I would go from soundblaster->airhead->denon ?(I don't get why I would need to add a receiver after my amplifier?)

Ok perhaps you misinterpreted my previous post
> was supposed to mean greater than not an arrow
~ was supposed to be about the same

1. Airhead With AC-DC power brick
2 and 3 are Denon optical and Airhead off batteries, I say this because I am not sure about denon amp quality and optical quality.

Also have you checked out other amps other than the airhead? there are many that come with wallwarts and built in recharging batteries that are in a similar price bracket and sound quality bracket but may fit your needs better or worse.
Headb.com: Audiophile Products, Accessories & more
Ibasso (t1 isnt incredible sounding as compared to t2 as far as I have heard, perhaps look at p2 or maybe d2 unless sound effects mean the world to you such as 3d)RockHopper Audio[/url] for the mini3 amp or other builders
Head-Direct.com

There are many more, but just throwing out some alternative similar price range sites.

MS

[size=xx-small]Note: Just to clarify, I am in no way trying to steal profits from headroom, I am not affiliated with any of these places, I was like this person when i first started, I discovered headroom and thought they were the only place to buy amps from, so now that i have learned about the insane number of amps out there I want to make sure he knows about them too so he can hopefully make a more educated decision, if you would like to question my post please PM me.[/size]

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #188 of 2,435
Haha a full disclaimer added
biggrin.gif
, anyway I was also looking at little tube. The Mark V is actually pretty affordable and read good things about it. I could connect it to my Sony SACD player (which certainly has a good DAC), but I don't know if the MKV and K601 is a good combination, anyone with experience?

Btw connected to my denon the difference is already huge compared to my external soundblaster. But then again, it should for the money the SACD player and Receiver cost
biggrin.gif
It is the DENON AVR-1404

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #190 of 2,435
Did you other K601 users also found out that its very very sensitive for source? I tried listening to some 1:1 copy's from cd's (legal), and even then I can hear differences (and annoying distortion) between the original and the copy.

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #191 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you other K601 users also found out that its very very sensitive for source? I tried listening to some 1:1 copy's from cd's (legal), and even then I can hear differences (and annoying distortion) between the original and the copy.

If you did a digital copy of CDs and you hear a difference, something is wrong with your copy software. Even if you ripped the CDs to lossless and then reburned them as a music CD, it should be the exact same bits as the original.

The only other thing I can think of is that your CD player doesn't really read CDRs, but then you should get nothing, not the wrong data.

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #192 of 2,435
Its ripped to FLAC (lossless) and then burned on Sony CDR's with 2x burning speed (I read slower was better). Maybe I'm not ripping it correctly?

Mar 30, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #193 of 2,435
I could be wrong too. I've alway thought that would end up with a bit perfect copy. Maybe someone knows for sure and can chime in.

I doubt the rip would be the problem. I know I've read here about people measuring that FLACs are bit perfect, in playback, with the original. If anything it's probably the eburn of the FLAC to CDR.

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #194 of 2,435
Im not sure which amp of the ones you listed would do better for k601s but from what I have heard, the k601s are already fairly colored in sound and tubes can add a lot of color depending on your rolling to the sound, so if you want a more colored sound beyond what the k601s start at (as I have heard from other reviews) go for a tube amp, if you want a more neutral sound with minimal extra color get a solid state

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #195 of 2,435
Hmm I think I did something wrong with the encoding, cause I just put a lower quality version (VBR) from my itunes library (Wassermusik) on a cd, and I don't have any distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back