AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #197 of 2,435
Congratulations man, I'm in week 2 of burning in now
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #198 of 2,435
Thanks to this incredible site, and this thread in particular, I've just picked up a pair of 601s. I have enjoyed my Sony MDR-7506s for about 15 years, and decided it was time to get something that was more comfortable and detailed. The first thing I noticed was the RADICAL difference in volume... through the headphone jack on my Adcom GFP-565, I went from about 9:00 with the 7506s, to about 12:30 with the 601s, to get the same overall volume. This is where I went back to these forums and read this whole thread again, as well as hours of reading (tons of) amp reviews.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 choices; The Gilmore Lite, and the VHP-2. Both of these are way more money than I wanted to spend (a dedicated headphone amp wasn't even on my radar), but I'm realizing that my purchase (601s) have a ton of sound in them that I'm not hearing with my Adcom. These 2 seem like they're right on the edge of the value threshold... to do much better, you'd have to spend way more cash.

Has anyone had the opportunity to hear both of these amps with the 601s? Or, has anyone listened to either of these with the 601s and didn't like the pairing? Other amps I should be looking at? I tend to like rich and warm with natural highs and a tight full bottom end (I'm a bass player). Too much energy in the high mids can drive me crazy.

This will be connected to a Mac Pro, so I know that a DAC is in my future, too. I'll be keeping the Adcom in place to power some near-field monitors, so the loop feature on both of these amps is appealing to me for versatility and ease of setup.

Musically, I'm all over the map... Motörhead to Mingus to ZZ Top to John Zorn to Zappa & Beefheart.

Any thoughts, or other recommendations would be much appreciated.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #199 of 2,435
I only just noticed, we've made 20 pages (well, with default page length settings, unless I changed them and forgot about it)! Getting a lot of interest lately... the topic was made mid January 2007, and from page 13 onwards the posts have all been in 2008
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #200 of 2,435
Yea, this seems to be a very bang for the buck headphone for the money it costs and possibly a nice option to k701 for someone who wants a more colored sound from everything i have read.

It really seems to be gaining popularity (and yes this is page 20)

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #201 of 2,435
I'm thinking of the Little MKV for the K601, anyone have any experience with that combo?

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #202 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by skipjimson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to this incredible site, and this thread in particular, I've just picked up a pair of 601s. I have enjoyed my Sony MDR-7506s for about 15 years, and decided it was time to get something that was more comfortable and detailed. The first thing I noticed was the RADICAL difference in volume... through the headphone jack on my Adcom GFP-565, I went from about 9:00 with the 7506s, to about 12:30 with the 601s, to get the same overall volume. This is where I went back to these forums and read this whole thread again, as well as hours of reading (tons of) amp reviews.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 choices; The Gilmore Lite, and the VHP-2. Both of these are way more money than I wanted to spend (a dedicated headphone amp wasn't even on my radar), but I'm realizing that my purchase (601s) have a ton of sound in them that I'm not hearing with my Adcom. These 2 seem like they're right on the edge of the value threshold... to do much better, you'd have to spend way more cash.

Has anyone had the opportunity to hear both of these amps with the 601s? Or, has anyone listened to either of these with the 601s and didn't like the pairing? Other amps I should be looking at? I tend to like rich and warm with natural highs and a tight full bottom end (I'm a bass player). Too much energy in the high mids can drive me crazy.

This will be connected to a Mac Pro, so I know that a DAC is in my future, too. I'll be keeping the Adcom in place to power some near-field monitors, so the loop feature on both of these amps is appealing to me for versatility and ease of setup.

Musically, I'm all over the map... Motörhead to Mingus to ZZ Top to John Zorn to Zappa & Beefheart.

Any thoughts, or other recommendations would be much appreciated.

I was in the same dilemma as you when deciding which amp to get - i was deciding between the gilmore lite and the vhp-2. I went with the vhp-2 because of recommendation by a few well known experienced members here, and the fact that it will take you for ever to get a gilmore lite (Justin, the maker, takes his time).

I'm really enjoying the vhp-2. It adds a lot more richness and big sound to the 601s.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #203 of 2,435
I picked up a pair of K601's last week, and I am selling my Grado SR-325i's. The 601's are much warmer, and more balanced. I am listening through a Melos SHA-1, and they sound terrific.

Jim D.

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #205 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but from what I have heard, the k601s are already fairly colored in sound

Wow. That's the exact opposite of my experience with the K601s. They are one of the more neutral headphones around. Now Senn's are colored (Waaaaayyyy toooooo warm), and Grados are so clinical as to make going to the dentist preferable. I think a tube headphone amp would do rather well with the 601s. I use solidstate myself and find absolutely no fault. But then, I would expect no less from a neutral set of cans.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #206 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. That's the exact opposite of my experience with the K601s. They are one of the more neutral headphones around. Now Senn's are colored (Waaaaayyyy toooooo warm), and Grados are so clinical as to make going to the dentist preferable. I think a tube headphone amp would do rather well with the 601s. I use solidstate myself and find absolutely no fault. But then, I would expect no less from a neutral set of cans.

Then again where i read about the coloring of the k601s, the reviewer was comparing them to a k701 and i think a dt880 which if i remember right are claimed to be two incredibly neutral headphones.

May 5, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #207 of 2,435
So what's the final word on the CIAudio VHP-2 and K601 combo?

Also, if I prefer HD600 to HD650, and find the DT880 and K701 too bright up top, will the K601 be to my possible liking??
confused.gif

May 5, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #208 of 2,435
Yes, probably.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #210 of 2,435
It's getting more and more likely that i will be joining this club. In a recent experience with the 601's and the 701's i was slowly and then completely drawn to its sound. I was not as impressed with the 701, but this is more a matter of preference than any shortcoming by it. If i have it right that the dynalo and the beta22 are somewhat related, i can imagine you will have a good combination there as well. I also have a Beyer 880 and by comparison its treble sounded a bit overpronounced for my liking.
323961865.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back