AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!!
Mar 26, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #166 of 2,435
Yeah I brought my own amp to a hifi store and checked out alot of cans (hd595/600/650 akg601/701 and a grado and BT880, all they had) and I really fell in love with the akg601. I think you should try it out
wink.gif
To be honest, you can't read about sound
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #167 of 2,435
Here comes the latest K601 user.
I love its comfort and analytical and yet relaxing sound with hugh soundstage. I dun like 701 but i like 601 with no doubt..

For a USB DAC, DAC1 or MiniDac can drive it better?

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #168 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereo means 2 channels/speakers.

To get 5.1/7.1 you would need 5 speakers and a sub or 7 speakers and a sub. Since headphones only have 2 speakers, they are only capable of stereo.

An external USB DAC like the Bit Head you mentioned, would give you a lot better sound quality than an X-Fi for everything audio based. Ignore your friend
smily_headphones1.gif

What you could do though, is get a soundcard like an X-Fi, then if it has an optical or coaxial connection, use that to go out to an external DAC. That way you could get all the EAX features of the X-Fi for gaming and movies, but still have the sound quality of the external DAC.

About these K601's... So they're quite fun? Does that mean they have ultra bright treble?

sweet, i thought so too.
so im probably going to go ahead and the get the creative x-fi sound blaster card for my alienware m15x... and that will give me the cool features i want for games and movies...
and THEN wat ur saying is to get an external DAC that i can connect to my external x-fi soundcard, and then connect my K601's to the external DAC, and then i can get the best sound possible?
so do i still need the bithead or no? bcuz the bithead is for connecting to the pc via usb, but since im not going thru usb... i wont need it.

so do i just get headrooms total airhead for the external DAC? or u have any reccomendations on what external DAC i can get to connect to my x-fi card?
i kno the x-fi card has a headphone slot in there, where i can connect headphones... so is that the optical/coaxial connection ur talking about? or will i need something else to connect the external DAC to the x-fi card?
thanks for all the help and sorry for the newb questions.

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #169 of 2,435
Go here

Audio Cables - Optical Toslink

Scroll about half a page down to where it says toslink to miniplug, that is what you would use to connect a DAC to your xfi card

If you used the airhead you would use the DAC chip in the x-fi as the airhead is only an amp, there is a plethora of home dacs for optical and home amps and home amp/dacs

For on the go use you could get something like the Ibasso D1 which can take analog, usb, digital coax and optical.

Products

In the d1 you can roll opamps to get a sound that suits you better, there is a whole forum on it in the amps section, though they have upgraded and changed opamps since the original release

If you dont want to pay that much you can just get any old amp, ex the airhead instead of bithead and use that, check out the amp forum for suggestions.

If using an amp with your xfi you want to make sure the jack is set to line out so it doesnt amplify the signal otherwise you are double amping a signal if you feed it into a amplifier, if you want to use it with no amp then make sure it is on headphone, for a dac make sure it is on optical out

I think you keep bringing up headroom amps partially because you searched headphone and they came up, way back when i joined a year ago i thought headroom was the only amp maker... boy was I wrong :p

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #170 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea they are more ohms however from my understanding there are a few things that determine how hard to amp

Impedence
Current needed
Voltage swing (I think that is one of them)

From what i have heard while the AKG 701 has low voltage it needs a ton of current because it is very current/power hungry

I culculated as below, pls correct me if you have better understanding:

Power=Voltage*Current
Current=Voltage/Resistance
So, Power=Voltage[square]/Resistance
That is to say, Voltage[square]=Power/Resistance

How hard to drive depends on:
1, HPs impedance, more impedace, more hard
2, Amp output impedance, same as above
3, Amp max/min voltage, for high impedance HPs, higher max, better, for low impedance, less min, better
4, HPs sensitivity, higher, easier

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #171 of 2,435
Quote:

Go here

Audio Cables - Optical Toslink

Scroll about half a page down to where it says toslink to miniplug, that is what you would use to connect a DAC to your xfi card

If you used the airhead you would use the DAC chip in the x-fi as the airhead is only an amp, there is a plethora of home dacs for optical and home amps and home amp/dacs

For on the go use you could get something like the Ibasso D1 which can take analog, usb, digital coax and optical.

Products

In the d1 you can roll opamps to get a sound that suits you better, there is a whole forum on it in the amps section, though they have upgraded and changed opamps since the original release

If you dont want to pay that much you can just get any old amp, ex the airhead instead of bithead and use that, check out the amp forum for suggestions.

If using an amp with your xfi you want to make sure the jack is set to line out so it doesnt amplify the signal otherwise you are double amping a signal if you feed it into a amplifier, if you want to use it with no amp then make sure it is on headphone, for a dac make sure it is on optical out

I think you keep bringing up headroom amps partially because you searched headphone and they came up, way back when i joined a year ago i thought headroom was the only amp maker... boy was I wrong :p

hey thanks for the great response
so basically for wat i need... shud i get a external DAC, then get the toslink to mini-plug, and connect that to optical out in my x-fi card... and then plug in the K601's to the optical out in the DAC? then i can get better sound quality from DAC, and the 3d effects from soundcard? correct or no?

or do i need to get just an amp and not a DAC, bcuz there is already a DAC in my soundcard... an amp like the airhead (thats the only one i know of that is relatively cheap, im sure there are others that may be also better), but i wud connect my K601's to the airhead amp's optical out, and then use the mini-mini cable provided from the airhead to connect that to my x-fi card's optical out? is that correct?

iono y, but im just still a bit confused as to wat exactly i need to get something to connnect my K601's too, and then have that connect to my x-fi card, and have x-fi 3d features work, and the sound quality of the headphones be better cuz the amp or w.e.
i think id be better off with someone just telling me exactly wat i need to get, and leaving it at that lol...

i think its best if i just get the damn bithead, cuz i can use taht with an mp3 cuz its an amp/dac, and for my labtop, i can connect it to my x-fi card then connect my K601's to the bithead, and i dont have to buy any seperate cables cuz the only cable i need comes with the bithead (the mini-mini)... sorry for the troubles lol

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #172 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faizan21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey thanks for the great response
so basically for wat i need... shud i get a external DAC, then get the toslink to mini-plug, and connect that to optical out in my x-fi card... and then plug in the K601's to the optical out in the DAC? then i can get better sound quality from DAC, and the 3d effects from soundcard? correct or no?

or do i need to get just an amp and not a DAC, bcuz there is already a DAC in my soundcard... an amp like the airhead (thats the only one i know of that is relatively cheap, im sure there are others that may be also better), but i wud connect my K601's to the airhead amp's optical out, and then use the mini-mini cable provided from the airhead to connect that to my x-fi card's optical out? is that correct?

iono y, but im just still a bit confused as to wat exactly i need to get something to connnect my K601's too, and then have that connect to my x-fi card, and have x-fi 3d features work, and the sound quality of the headphones be better cuz the amp or w.e.
i think id be better off with someone just telling me exactly wat i need to get, and leaving it at that lol...

i think its best if i just get the damn bithead, cuz i can use taht with an mp3 cuz its an amp/dac, and for my labtop, i can connect it to my x-fi card then connect my K601's to the bithead, and i dont have to buy any seperate cables cuz the only cable i need comes with the bithead (the mini-mini)... sorry for the troubles lol

First of all, you can't connect headphones to optical out. They have a 3.5mm mini plug. You should plug them into a headphone jack.

You seem to be a bit confused. The Bithead is a DAC and Amp in one. The DAC function is used when connecting it to a computer via the USB cable. The Amp can be used with the mini to mini with any MP3 player OR anything which has a headphone out such as your computer.

Anyway, to make things simpler you could get something like the Bithead which as a USB Dac and a headphone amp in one. I haven't seen any reviews of it so I'm not sure about quality... Look into the iBasso D2 Viper as well since it seems to be pretty good.

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #173 of 2,435
Since you seem confused, you dont connect headphones to optical, except one discontinued audiotechnica phone

Here are ways to get sound

Soundcard headphone out->headphones
Soundcard line out->mini to mini/rca->amplifier->headphones
Soundcard optical out->Mini to toslink->DAC->Amplifer (either external using cables or internal)->headphones
USB->DAC->Amplifier all in one

Optical must go through a DAC to get to analog sound for headphones
USB must go through a DAC to get analog sound for headphones
Line out must go through an amplifier because it doesnt have amplification so you cant hear it
Headphone out will work by itself but not very well

Only point of something like Ibasso D1 is there is probably a better DAC than the one in the x-fi

Check out the amps forum for some ideas
Airhead
IBasso T2
C&C box(s)
Mini^3
Many more.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #174 of 2,435
Will an Airhead amplifier de better with my K601 than a soundblaster-optical-denon avr receiver-k601 combination?

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #175 of 2,435
Quote:

Since you seem confused, you dont connect headphones to optical, except one discontinued audiotechnica phone

Here are ways to get sound

Soundcard headphone out->headphones
Soundcard line out->mini to mini/rca->amplifier->headphones
Soundcard optical out->Mini to toslink->DAC->Amplifer (either external using cables or internal)->headphones
USB->DAC->Amplifier all in one

Optical must go through a DAC to get to analog sound for headphones
USB must go through a DAC to get analog sound for headphones
Line out must go through an amplifier because it doesnt have amplification so you cant hear it
Headphone out will work by itself but not very well

Only point of something like Ibasso D1 is there is probably a better DAC than the one in the x-fi

Check out the amps forum for some ideas
Airhead
IBasso T2
C&C box(s)
Mini^3
Many more.

wow dude, thanks a lot, and sorry for all the confusion...
k i think i got it now.
so ill be going with this option for labtop:
x-fi notebook external soundcard line out > mini-mini > airhead > K601's.
and for like ipod:
just ipod headphone out > mini-mini > airhead > K601's.
neat...
and best of all for my labtop sound now, i can keep my software features from soundcard (eax and 3d) and use it with my amplified sound from airhead listening em on the beautiful K601's. thats greatness for the price.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #176 of 2,435
As for the ipod, if you are skilled you could make a lineout dock, otherwise you could ask someone about making you one if you pay for their parts/trouble, probably 20 bucks or so and that will be better than headphone out, only problem may be how airhead inputs/outputs are at an angle.

Also if the airhead comes with a power brick, it will probably sound better when plugged in than running on batteries, generally higher more consistent voltage, more power etc.

I would reccomend you get a set of 4 AAA rechargeable batteries, i have energizer ones that are 1200mah or something like that, i use them in a TI graphing calculator and they last forever.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #177 of 2,435
cool.gif
ZZ Top + K601 is also a great combination
cool.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #178 of 2,435
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will an Airhead amplifier de better with my K601 than a soundblaster-optical-denon avr receiver-k601 combination?

My guess is this

Airhead plugged in > Airhead battery ~ Denon reciever

The reasoning behind that is the denon dac may not be amazing and also the denon has AC power behind it while airhead battery has not a ton of power so it wont run as well as when plugged in.

However airhead is only a headphone amp while denon could care less how good the headphone portion sounds.

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #179 of 2,435
Quote:

As for the ipod, if you are skilled you could make a lineout dock, otherwise you could ask someone about making you one if you pay for their parts/trouble, probably 20 bucks or so and that will be better than headphone out, only problem may be how airhead inputs/outputs are at an angle.

Also if the airhead comes with a power brick, it will probably sound better when plugged in than running on batteries, generally higher more consistent voltage, more power etc.

I would reccomend you get a set of 4 AAA rechargeable batteries, i have energizer ones that are 1200mah or something like that, i use them in a TI graphing calculator and they last forever.

hmm i see... as for the lineout dock on the ipod... i actually use the mp3 player on my Blackberry curve (i have a 4gb memory card in it lol), so wud this lineout dock work for all kinds of mp3 players/ipods? if so, then ye ill see if i can find someone to make me one for a lil $$$

and what do you mean the airheads in/outputs may be a problem if there at an angle? since i have the mini-mini cable, i wudnt think angles wud be a problem?

and as far as the batteries go, ye ill def. get some rechargeable batteries, bout time i got some... and i think the airhead does come with an ac adapter or its optional... but ill get it nonetheless and just leave it pluggd in for optimal sound quality i guess.
thanks for all ur help man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back