AKG K501 love...
Jan 29, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #467 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Pat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone who still wants them, I found them for $119+shipping http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto...duct/View/1815

Not as good as when they were $100, but this seems good being that everywhere else they are $199.

I don't have any affiliation with the site, but I did order a subwoofer from them and received it quickly and without damage.

They had lots in stock when I last saw them a couple months ago. STO is where I first listened to the K501's and absolutely fell in love with them. Nice guys and I was able to listen to all of their open and available cans for hours. I wound up purchasing on ebay used for $85 (including shipping) so better deals can be had (if you don't mind used).

BTW, I had Grado SR-80's and Senn HD-580's before and the K501 was really the first headphone that I can honestly say that I truely enjoyed. I was always very down on headphones until I heard the K501. Love 'em!

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #469 of 1,177
I just got a pair of almost new ones. First impression: they sound a lot like my 880's but with a little less bass volume/extension, and maybe a little less lower midrange coloration. It's not love yet, but we'll be doing some serious dating in the near future.

Edit after 24 hours: Wow! These things do orchestral "space" really well. I have an Aaron Copland Telarc CD with lots of woodblocks, and they sound just like they do at the concert hall. My 880s sound like headphones in comparison. Close mic'ed stuff doesn't sound that special, but anything with space sounds almost real. Tympany drums sound damn good too. These have almost none of the "cup" resonances found in most cans. I'm impressed.

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #470 of 1,177
oh my goodness I had no idea this thread existed! a secret society...
I'm on my third pair of 501s now so do I get admission?
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #471 of 1,177
Quote:

oh my goodness I had no idea this thread existed! a secret society... I'm on my third pair of 501s now so do I get admission?

ya, i think they'll probably let you in . . . but do you know the secret password and handshake?
tongue.gif

have been toying with the idea of purchasing pair #2 and having it recabled. these cans seem to either be the object of love . . . or hate, with not very many opinions falling in between. i count myself among the lovers.
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #472 of 1,177
mine's about to get some intimate lovin... involving nordost solar wind cable and cardas 1/4 pluggage..

I think cables are like engagement rings. unnecessary, expensive, but a sign of dedication and love lol.

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #474 of 1,177
Quote:

mine's about to get some intimate lovin... involving nordost solar wind cable and cardas 1/4 pluggage..

I think cables are like engagement rings. unnecessary, expensive, but a sign of dedication and love lol.

for that kind of commitment, i'd say the k501s should give you a diamond engagement ring.
wink.gif

might have to check back in a while to see how you two are getting along . . .
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #476 of 1,177
Hydrocity: WOW
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #477 of 1,177
Has anyone recabled their K-501 to be balanced? I've been thinking about getting a second pair to balance... I think they might really improve. If anyone has done it, post your impressions.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #480 of 1,177
Visualization of the plan. Basically I set up a 9 wire wide section, and worked from there. The focus was channel separation to reduce crosstalk.
solar_wind_plan.gif

how does it sound? well in my opinion- and after a long listening weekend (no computer, nothing to do but stay home with my pre/post minor operation dad), I can sincerely conclude that..... whoops look at the time g2g to bed
frown.gif
. lol. ok ok fine.

I don't like flame wars fueled by snake oil
wink.gif

but

If you really want to know, I love it. I took two cds that usually sounded congested with abysmal soundstage paul van dyk- the politics of dancing and a nicer acoustic self named album rie fu and used it as my references. I found layering that just wasn't there before, separation of sounds is very noticeable with little effort- it was so much that I kind of disliked it. The background was just too black and most of the tracks just sounded like a bunch of sounds popping up around me, which is good and what I was(kind of) aiming for, but the separation was just astonishing(ly annoying).

The cardas plug. Yes the plug was very important from my little experience. I had tried this hard wired(soldered) to the output of my lolmeta for a few hours, then attached a switchcraft 1/4 "heavy duty one" borrowed from my senn recable cable, and finally I bought a rat shack 1/4 inch.

Suprisingly, the switchcraft sounded worst with this, since it is all nickel over some unknown metal. Defeats the purpose of such a cable, and the sound was good soundstage but was just not much of an upgrade looking at how much i spent. The rat shack one which is another let down obviously worked, but was horrid because the slightest motion would introduce crackles even after caig deoxit. Junked that one
mad.gif
. I then attached the cardas one which was my first choice. Since the wire is not very heavy gauge and is very precisely made, I know the rhodium/silver cardas plug was the right choice because it made the right sacrifice between durability and signal transmission. I couldn't tell between the cardas and hard wire.

all in all, I think it was worth the money all the way. it is pretty, shiny and actually improves upon the stock wire. I think it was more effort than any kind of audiophile trick. The wire is not million dollar whatchimacallit, plug is not solid gold, and it doesn't have techflex. What it does have is actual common sense construction, materials research, almost 19 hours of construction + love.
icon10.gif

Enough stupid audiophile words
rolleyes.gif
.. I don't really believe in cables too much anyway. This is probably all placebo because first of all I spent way too much effort on this for it not to 'sound' good
tongue.gif
, and since I have been away at my parents place with nothing but music and lots of time, that could have been the "added resolution."

I'll leave it for you to decide.
( '-')

Users who are viewing this thread

Back