AKG K501 love...
Mar 28, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #496 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got k501 couple weeks ago but have yet to listen to them because i want to wait until my tube amp(still thinking either yarland p100 or darkvoice 336i) first. the cans love tubes right?

Did you buy them new or pre-owned?

This has been said many times: If new, immediately start burning them in 24/7 with any amp and source, and include some deep-bassy music to loosen up the drivers. You don't have to listen to them … just start breaking in the drivers. At least 100 hours to start with, and lots more preferred.

New 501s can sound thin, anemic, congested, noisy, etc., so — burn, baby, burn! Make those drivers earn their keep.

If pre-owned and already broken in, disregard all this chatter.

K501s, 601s, 701s love tubes.

My fave of the moment is the Audiovalve RKV-MkII with OPA627 op-amp upgrade + Eddie Current EC/DC for impedance matching (especially for the K701) — and a good source is also very important.

Rudistor RP6-DQ is also very synergistic with the AKGs. Tho' it doesn't quite offer the lush mids, sweet highs and walk-thru imaging of the modded RKV, it is very fast/clean/quiet/wide/extended, and quite engaging etc. The RP7 should have similar synergy. I hope to hear one at the upcoming HeadFest, as well as lots of other wonderful amps.

The modded RKV + 701 is delicious, and tasty with the 501 & 601 as well.

Other members have enjoyed a variety of inexpensive tube amps, but I haven't heard them yet. A little searching in the Amps forum will turn up lots of current comments.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #497 of 1,177
Since there doesn't seem to be much chatter about the k501 these days
just thought I'd bring this one back to life with a little story.

After spending all day, and I mean ALL DAY (12+ hours), trying to get
my RS-1's to sound right with different pads... I gave up three hours ago and stuck them back in their box as punishment for being naughty grados.
wink.gif

Then, In the corner of my eye I saw an old friend....
....the poor butchered k501's, made famous in such threads as.

> Me , destroying a k501 Part I

> Me , destroying a k501 Part II

> Me , destroying a k501 Part III

I had not spent anytime with the k501's since Mid February, and frankly I think she was a bit miffed. We didn't leave on good terms, my last words to her where "you are dry , undynamic and bassless I will never love you"

I put them on my head expecting the same sound as I remembered, but instead got an amazing sonic experience, It turns out the k501's are the sound I have been searching for the whole time. They are dead flat neutral, detailed and don't make my ears ring. They seem to have way more bass and treble extension than I remember; and the midrange is so outstanding it's scary. It must be the new source I bought since the last time I heard them.

Needless to say I am now looking to buy them again and live happily ever after.

As a last note check this out>>

graphCompare.php

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #498 of 1,177
Yep, when I post mine off I'm going to cry for sure.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #500 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of buying a second hand pair k501's. How do these match up with a little dot++? does the little dot complement the k501's or doesn't that match and should I wait and buy a hd600? or both?

That was one of the earlier setups that I used, I liked it a lot, very involved, and the warm "intimacy" detracted from the over-spaciousness

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #501 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was one of the earlier setups that I used, I liked it a lot, very involved, and the warm "intimacy" detracted from the over-spaciousness

I agree, music sounds beautiful with my K-501 / LDII+ combination. I hear the LDII++ isn't quite as musical, but it can't be far short.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #502 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, when I post mine off I'm going to cry for sure.

*Sigh* thank goodness I don't have to go through this. I decided it's ok to have more than one headphone (need isolation for the bus and work so was going to have HD-280 as my sole can). Different tools for different purposes.

Oh dear, I feel terrible for all those bidding on my auctions however. Grrr, me and my mind-changing!

Me and my LDII+ / K-501 will be having a long and happy life together! The only way they'll go is in my will ...
tongue.gif

I don't know, there's just something so musical about them. The perfect clarity and the punch combine to be really something special. Everything just sounds so wonderful, from the heaviest of metal to solo classical piano.

They seriously make me cry with the right music. Something just melts inside me. Thank goodness they're still mine!

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #503 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*Sigh* thank goodness I don't have to go through this. I decided it's ok to have more than one headphone (need isolation for the bus and work so was going to have HD-280 as my sole can). Different tools for different purposes.

Oh dear, I feel terrible for all those bidding on my auctions however. Grrr, me and my mind-changing!

Me and my LDII+ / K-501 will be having a long and happy life together! The only way they'll go is in my will ...
tongue.gif

I don't know, there's just something so musical about them. The perfect clarity and the punch combine to be really something special. Everything just sounds so wonderful, from the heaviest of metal to solo classical piano.

They seriously make me cry with the right music. Something just melts inside me. Thank goodness they're still mine!

You are telling me , the k501's I dugg out last night, have not been off my head all day. I can't believe these things don't cost $1000 , and if they did I would pay it. One day, in the future ,the k501 is going to be seen as a classic
and will sell for outrageous sums of money on ebay ala ps-1.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #504 of 1,177
Hey guys. I came in with some cash and was wondering what is the best amplifier for the k501 (1 regardless of cash, 1<$500) I would like the amp to give the k501 sound a little more body while keeping its cystaline highs. I would like it to be warmer too. BTW, how would the valour pads affect the sound? And what is the difference between the stock k701 valour and the ironed/washed pads?

thks in advance.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #506 of 1,177
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. I came in with some cash and was wondering what is the best amplifier for the k501 (1 regardless of cash, 1<$500) I would like the amp to give the k501 sound a little more body while keeping its cystaline highs. I would like it to be warmer too. BTW, how would the valour pads affect the sound? And what is the difference between the stock k701 valour and the ironed/washed pads?

thks in advance.

Up

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #507 of 1,177
I would certainly buy this phone if it's less than 80 ohms. And $60. But they're not. :p

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #508 of 1,177
Quote:

thks in advance.

A used Mapletree is within that budget, perhaps and does accomplish your objectives with the k-501s IME!

The k701 pads with disk installed on mine, reinforce the lower end without any resonances or anomallys associated with leather pads used on other cans for the same effect. The pad/disk mod ($44 from Harmon/AKG), adresses any shortcomings these phones are criticized for, in their lower registers, IMO~

A spectacularly clear and clean full range phone made even better with the M.A.D. tube amp!

Good luck~

Jul 4, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #510 of 1,177
Quote:

thks in advance.

Look into a dynahi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back