AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Mar 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #76 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a bit of everything,

Anyway, I think these Headphones have not been used much for a long time. I think they need to run in a bit.

But they sound very nice with an RnB CD i have.

Yeah we forgot to mention that if K340 has not been used for long time it takes some time to the electret to energize so it can change it's sound during the week.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #77 of 1,184
Good valid point esuko.

Even with daily use my K340s don't appear to reach full potential until after an hour of being driven...then that mid range really takes its own dimension.

Another thing to experiment with is the positioning on the head as this appears to affect sound too. For me it works best when I wear the headphones reversed and my ears are pressed to the back of the cushions with a slight tilt forward...not to be too specific
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #78 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it works best when I wear the headphones reversed and my ears are pressed to the back of the cushions with a slight tilt forward...not to be too specific
tongue.gif

Yes, I also think that K340 gets a nice touch when pressed against cushion. It is definetly a lazy man's headphone. But what can you do when sound quality is important
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #80 of 1,184
They are starting to sound much better now. They are sounding fantastic with Simply Red's ''Life'' Album!!

In the near future I'll love to get my K340 modified with new better cables, and get the person to look at the drivers to see if they need Refurbishing.

Sadly I'm in the UK, is their any place here in the UK that does this procedure please.

Many thanks for your support

Shane

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #84 of 1,184
smily_headphones1.gif

I've never heard stock, only a fully modded pair, so I can't comment on the benefits/differences.

The amount/type of filling behind driver alters the sound quite radically, so that could be worth experimenting with initially, they're simple to open. Then there's removal of baffles by cutting (so irreversible) which I read also makes a big difference, most say in a good light.

But there are far more knowledgeable people out there, who could give you advice on what are the best mods to undertake in precedence.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #86 of 1,184
My K340 are doing great!! I think there is no going back with these headphones

Where abouts is the serial number on these? I am dying to find out how old these K340's are!!

These ones I have can't be from the late 70's, because they sound very good with modern music from my Rotel CD player. I'm guessing my K340 are from the late 80's?????

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #90 of 1,184
I too am a K340 fan. I have actually bought K340's, sold them, bought again, sold them, and then about a year ago bought and kept them. The main reason - until I tried them with a tube amp, they never really worked for me even though I could tell there was magic there. But with a good tube headphone amp, the K340's will SING. They are pretty terrific headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back