AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
post-5474931
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 422

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
474
Reaction score
19
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Posts
474
Likes
19
Next week my K340 should be coming to my doorstep.

How would these sound compare to the K701?

To my ears I find the K701 to be smooth and dynamic sounding with no huge bass. But they do pack a decent punch.

The seller of the K340 said it will sound less brighter and more punchier over the K701. Also the K340 will have more warmth to the sound as to what the seller said.


Oh well that's all I can say.

Any K340 users on Head Fi?
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475062
Post #2 of 422

esuko

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
368
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Posts
368
Likes
10
Would have to agree with your seller. K340 is definetly punchier but would not comment on ammount of bass. You will also get better 3d imaging if that kind of thing tickles your hifi nerves. I would say that the K340 has some midrange problem associated with closed headphones. But the high frequencies are a bliss, there the K340 desing realy shines.
So far K340 is my favorite heapdhone, even with it flaws. Highly musical headphone.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475114
Post #4 of 422

musicman59

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
4,431
Reaction score
515
Location
Canton, MI
Joined
May 27, 2004
Location
Canton, MI
Posts
4,431
Likes
515
You need a powerful amplifier. They are hard to drive. I normally had my after 12 o'clock in my Rudistor RPX-33 MkII and RP-7 Lite.

Oh yes, IMO they sound better than the K701. Actually I bought mine after listening a pair of K701 and K340 side by side.

Just make sure you amplify them correctly. I send mine to be recabled and modified by APS. After they came back I did some extra cup damping. The end result was excellent.
 
     Share This Post       
  • Like
Reactions: abman
post-5475138
Post #5 of 422

esuko

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
368
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Posts
368
Likes
10
Darkvoice 336i have been recommended by others. Have not personaly heard it. I would at least stay away from amplifiers with high output impedance because it alters the frequency response of K340 too much and does no favours for the bass tightness. So I would at least stay away from Graham Slee Solo and similar high output impedance amplifiers. Receivers generaly have a high output impedance so stay away from them.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475178
Post #6 of 422

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
474
Reaction score
19
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Posts
474
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a powerful amplifier. They are hard to drive. I normally had my after 12 o'clock in my Rudistor RPX-33 MkII and RP-7 Lite.

Oh yes, IMO they sound better than the K701. Actually I bought mine after listening a pair of K701 and K340 side by side.

Just make sure you amplify them correctly. I send mine to be recabled and modified by APS. After they came back I did some extra cup damping. The end result was excellent.





Sure I understand, Are the K340 harder to dive then the k701? I use the K701 on my nice Rotel RC-03 preamp, which does a great job. The Rotel is a smooth warm sounding preamp. But I know a Headphone amp is much better, don't get me wrong.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475186
Post #7 of 422

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
12
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Posts
1,885
Likes
12
Cheapest amp I've been satisfied amping them with was the RSA hornet, which did quite a nice job with them. Congratulations on the headphone purchase, you got yourself a great pair of headphones.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475206
Post #8 of 422

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
474
Reaction score
19
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Posts
474
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheapest amp I've been satisfied amping them with was the RSA hornet, which did quite a nice job with them. Congratulations on the headphone purchase, you got yourself a great pair of headphones.




Thanks, I paid 100 quid for them. And they are in very good condition.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475240
Post #10 of 422

esuko

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
368
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Posts
368
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure I understand, Are the K340 harder to dive then the k701? I use the K701 on my nice Rotel RC-03 preamp, which does a great job. The Rotel is a smooth warm sounding preamp. But I know a Headphone amp is much better, don't get me wrong.


Did not find the manual of RC-03 but found the manual of RC-06 preamp and it stated that it had 100ohm output impedance. That can make some problems with K340, like loosing highs and bass tightness. But who knows maybe it will be just fine. If not most of tube headphones will not have problems with K340 because of it's high impedance.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475256
Post #12 of 422

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
474
Reaction score
19
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Location
Torquay, Devon, UK.
Posts
474
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did not find the manual of RC-03 but found the manual of RC-06 preamp and it stated that it had 100ohm output impedance. That can make some problems with K340, like loosing highs and bass tightness. But who knows maybe it will be just fine. If not most of tube headphones will not have problems with K340 because of it's high impedance.




Well,

If my Rotel RC-03 does not go successful with the K340. Then I will just have to borrow my fathers Musical Fidelity X-can V2 Headphone amp.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475266
Post #13 of 422

Suntory_Times

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
12
Joined
Dec 8, 2007
Posts
1,885
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I got them for 100 pounds. And they are in very good condition.

I live in the UK, sorry for saying pounds.



I lived in the UK for a while a few years back, don't see why talking pounds should be a problem.


Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine should be arriving this week as well so I'll let you know how well a M^3 powers them.


SE or balanced?
 
     Share This Post       
post-5475281
Post #15 of 422

esuko

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
368
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Posts
368
Likes
10
M-F will definetly work well. Hope your neck is not fragile cause these headphones are heavy.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top