AKG K340 Electrostatic Phones
Mar 1, 2009 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,184

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Next week my K340 should be coming to my doorstep.

How would these sound compare to the K701?

To my ears I find the K701 to be smooth and dynamic sounding with no huge bass. But they do pack a decent punch.

The seller of the K340 said it will sound less brighter and more punchier over the K701. Also the K340 will have more warmth to the sound as to what the seller said.

Oh well that's all I can say.

Any K340 users on Head Fi?

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 1,184
Would have to agree with your seller. K340 is definetly punchier but would not comment on ammount of bass. You will also get better 3d imaging if that kind of thing tickles your hifi nerves. I would say that the K340 has some midrange problem associated with closed headphones. But the high frequencies are a bliss, there the K340 desing realy shines.
So far K340 is my favorite heapdhone, even with it flaws. Highly musical headphone.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 1,184
You need a powerful amplifier. They are hard to drive. I normally had my after 12 o'clock in my Rudistor RPX-33 MkII and RP-7 Lite.

Oh yes, IMO they sound better than the K701. Actually I bought mine after listening a pair of K701 and K340 side by side.

Just make sure you amplify them correctly. I send mine to be recabled and modified by APS. After they came back I did some extra cup damping. The end result was excellent.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 1,184
Darkvoice 336i have been recommended by others. Have not personaly heard it. I would at least stay away from amplifiers with high output impedance because it alters the frequency response of K340 too much and does no favours for the bass tightness. So I would at least stay away from Graham Slee Solo and similar high output impedance amplifiers. Receivers generaly have a high output impedance so stay away from them.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need a powerful amplifier. They are hard to drive. I normally had my after 12 o'clock in my Rudistor RPX-33 MkII and RP-7 Lite.

Oh yes, IMO they sound better than the K701. Actually I bought mine after listening a pair of K701 and K340 side by side.

Just make sure you amplify them correctly. I send mine to be recabled and modified by APS. After they came back I did some extra cup damping. The end result was excellent.

Sure I understand, Are the K340 harder to dive then the k701? I use the K701 on my nice Rotel RC-03 preamp, which does a great job. The Rotel is a smooth warm sounding preamp. But I know a Headphone amp is much better, don't get me wrong.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 1,184
Cheapest amp I've been satisfied amping them with was the RSA hornet, which did quite a nice job with them. Congratulations on the headphone purchase, you got yourself a great pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheapest amp I've been satisfied amping them with was the RSA hornet, which did quite a nice job with them. Congratulations on the headphone purchase, you got yourself a great pair of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I paid 100 quid for them. And they are in very good condition.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure I understand, Are the K340 harder to dive then the k701? I use the K701 on my nice Rotel RC-03 preamp, which does a great job. The Rotel is a smooth warm sounding preamp. But I know a Headphone amp is much better, don't get me wrong.

Did not find the manual of RC-03 but found the manual of RC-06 preamp and it stated that it had 100ohm output impedance. That can make some problems with K340, like loosing highs and bass tightness. But who knows maybe it will be just fine. If not most of tube headphones will not have problems with K340 because of it's high impedance.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by esuko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did not find the manual of RC-03 but found the manual of RC-06 preamp and it stated that it had 100ohm output impedance. That can make some problems with K340, like loosing highs and bass tightness. But who knows maybe it will be just fine. If not most of tube headphones will not have problems with K340 because of it's high impedance.

Well,

If my Rotel RC-03 does not go successful with the K340. Then I will just have to borrow my fathers Musical Fidelity X-can V2 Headphone amp.

Mar 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 1,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDL-speakers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I got them for 100 pounds. And they are in very good condition.

I live in the UK, sorry for saying pounds.

I lived in the UK for a while a few years back, don't see why talking pounds should be a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine should be arriving this week as well so I'll let you know how well a M^3 powers them.

SE or balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back